Thread: best local store for ice fishing gear

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default best local store for ice fishing gear

i havent had time to go out and look around yet this year but in your opinion who do you think accomodates us ice fishers the best here in southcentral? i imagine the top three are going to be sportsmans warehouse, three rivers, and b&j's.

stopped by b and j's today and they havent really got into the season yet. claim that there stuff is on the way.

Anchorage only because that's where the work is

Default Ice fishing gear

Do a search on anchorage.craigslist.org

The guys at Three Rivers are getting geared for the stiff water season. Allways a good stop...

Not affiliated with them,

George

boondocks has always treated me well, ever since I was 10... Also B&J is good, talk to Jason (used to work at boondocks)...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

How about one that sells a decent level wind ice fishing reel? I think I hit them all and they are all open faced reels.

I know for lakers buds of mine are using their salmon level winds, AG 6500 or 5500's.....

Or you can buy combos that have them already on.

Default level winds

Quote Originally Posted by WaterWolf View Post
    How about one that sells a decent level wind ice fishing reel? I think I hit them all and they are all open faced reels.
    For fish up to 7 or 8 lbs, I use reels like the Shakespeare Wonderreel 20, the South Bend panfish reel and the like. They are very inexpensive, hold 100 yards or more of 8 lb fireline, but don't actually have a level wind. They are tough though, and it doesn't take much effort at all to keep the line relatively level. And there is no level wind to break, freeze or clog with ice. Your thumb is the drag, though they do have a click mechanism to help prevent overrun. It's also very simple to convert them from left hand retrieve to right hand retrieve. They are an absolute blast to fish with. Me and friends have landed fish up to about 20 lbs on these, but I admit I feel a little undergunned when that happens. You can get these at B&J, and sometimes Wal-Mart. the guys at Sportsmans looked at me as if I were from Mars when I asked if they carried them.

For big lake trout water, I use Ambassadeur EON 3600s a lot. They have non-metal side plates, and this makes them more comfortable to use in cold weather. These aren't made anymore but you can sometimes find them on Ebay. You don't need the power to stop a Kenai king to catch a 20 or 30 pound lake trout. Any non-metal sided bass or steelhead reel that will hold more than 100 yards of your line of choice will work fine. Bass Pro Shops or Cabelas has a bunch of inexpensive reels like this that will work. Good luck!
    Last edited by Charholio; 11-10-2007 at 17:03. Reason: added a sentence

you're right you dont need the drag to stop these fish though sometimes I do question that (like on my buds 28 pound laker).

The idea is you've already spent 100 bucks on one reel, why spend that much on a second ice fishing reel when it will work just fine?

I do prefer spinning reels for ice fishing. Always have. I do like my baitcasters and level winds for fresh and saltwater, but for some reason spinning reels are just nicer to deal with, balance a rod out better, and easier to sit and jig all day from sunup to sundown. They are also much cheaper. Have picked up a couple pretty sweet spinning reels on sale for almost nothing and they work great.

I'm also using power pro for line, I believe it's 8lb, might be 10, dont remember now it's been a couple of seasons now since I last had to buy any. Probably should replace it, though I bet I can just turn it around and it'll be fine.

One thing about the light power pro is it'll cut into the bottom of the hole on big fish. It does however give off much better action and sensativity imho. Dont need as heavy of a rig to get it to fall the way I want it too. Never cared for the fire line for ice fishing.

I am still however looking for a replacement laker ice rod if anyone has one. Used to use the PL34H's and loved them (ht rods). Picked up a custom thornebrothers rod, nice tube jig rod, but not into jigging hard metal with it. Also picked up a genz predator rod, again nice rod but not what I'm looking for. Dont want any fiberglass rods, and nothing to long as I'm in a fish house, 34" is perfect.

Default sportsmans warehouse in the valley

was pretty impressive for the ice fishing gear. lots of poles, augers, shelters ect. all i picked up though was some clear coat and a new powder paint color for my jigs

Sw in squarebanks is quite good too, of course they fish and the head guys are ice fishing buds of mine soooooooooooo that sure helps........ Then again so does isles upon isles of stuff.

Boondocks in Eagle River for sure, I believe the guys name is Jeff, I don't know what they have out for ice fishing, but he has always given me great advice and service.

mountain view sports has some good stuff. its on old seward and 36th