Thread: Lots of sign, at the wrong time. Someone wise, please help

Default Lots of sign, at the wrong time. Someone wise, please help

This Sunday (11/04) I went out to Sutton to hunt for coyote, fox or lynx. I staked out above a neighborhood where I use to dirtbike. Everytime I went there I always noticed a zillion wild rabbits. Anyways, this area had fresh snow and there was sign EVERYWHERE! Rabbit tracks crossed every little trail about every 5 feet. I also noticed some tiny tracks made by a small four legged animal that drags it's tail as it walks (I'm guessing a rat or something similar?). Now that i'm looking at pictures them, I realize I saw a LOT of coyote tracks. Problem is I wasnt able to get out of the house in the morning and get there until about 11:30 in the morning. The sun was already high. I used a good mouth call for almost 4 hours, moving twice. Nothing.....nothing.........aaaaaaaand MORE nothing. I'm brand new at hunting for predator's. I'm pretty sure I was calling correctly and I thought after 3 hours I would see at least ONE of the critters.
    BOTTOM LINE: IS THERE A "BEST" TIME OF DAY TO CALL FOR PREDATORS? Do they all nap during the day? And is there any difference in time of day for fox, coyote or lynx? Thanks for the help
    __________________________________________________ _____________

"The scenery in this state makes a fruitless hunt still worth it."

Calling at night was always the most productive for me. Get a trapping license though if your going to do that. But early morning or late in the afternoon is the best daylight times.

Plus you gotta be real camoed up, Hold real still and maybe tie some feathers or something like that to a stick so when something answers the call they get distracted.

Also wait and wait and wait some more. 30 minutes should be your min wait time.

It never ceases to amaze me how the predators can pick you out and vanish.

Also, they dont come charging in up here like you see them do in the lower 48, or come prancing through openings. Ive only ever had one come charging in, and I had been tracking him through fresh snow for aways and was in thick spuce. So I knew he was there, Anways he came running in hard and about jumped in my lap. He was gone though before I could even get my gun up.

Default reply

Just curious, why would I need a trapping license to call at night?

You only need a trapping license if you want to use a light for hunting at night. You can still hunt under a full moon (with no man made light source) with a regular license.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

soooo.... what your saying is that if a person has a trapping license he can use artificial light to spot and shoot coyotes?

If so, what other species can a person spotlight?
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Quote Originally Posted by bgreen View Post
    soooo.... what your saying is that if a person has a trapping license he can use artificial light to spot and shoot coyotes?

If so, what other species can a person spotlight?
    If that is true please post a link to the reg. I would love to get out with a spot like they do down in the south!

take furbearers with the aid of a pit, fire, light (other than sunlight or moonlight), electronically enhanced night vision scope, radio communications, cellular or satellite telephones, artificial salt lick, explosives, expanding gas arrow, bomb, smoke, chemical (excluding scent lures), or a conventional steel trap with an inside jaw spread over 9 inches.
    Exceptions: Killer-style trap with a jaw spread of less than 13 inches may be used and artificial light may be used for the purpose of taking furbearers Nov. 1- Mar. 31 in Units 7 and 9-26 during an open season;
    I hate our regs!! here is the trapping reg on artificial light. It apears that you can hunt furbearers with artificial light durring trapping season in the specified units. I would be hunting units 13 and 14, from what I am reading I may need to invest in a traping license and a spotlight. Whats your take?

and artifcial light may be used for the purpose of taking
    furbearers Nov. 1- Mar. 31 in Units 7 and 9-26 during an open season;

Seems pretty clear...and worth the $15 to have the option!

AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I hate our regs!! here is the trapping reg on artificial light. It apears that you can hunt furbearers with artificial light durring trapping season in the specified units. I would be hunting units 13 and 14, from what I am reading I may need to invest in a traping license and a spotlight. Whats your take?

well, yeah, if you want to use a light invest in one and get a trapping license. Get one with a red flip down lens. Optronix made a good light. Pack an extra battery. Go over to predatormasters.com to learn about night calling. There is a special section in there on how to do it.

And dont rely on moonlight. You need a spotlight. Not only can you not rely on the moon 100% of the time, the light makes those eyes shine for hundreds of yards.

I agree it is pretty clear I just hate falling into the fine print! Makes me second guess wether I am legal or not and I hate that feeling. I would never purposefully break the law and like to be positive.

I hear ya Lu! I don't know if the artificial light thing shows up anywhere else in the regs under "approved" methods and means. Looks to me like they don't want to advertise it too much.

As far as hunting under moonlight, on those really bright full moon nights with a good snow cover, it is just like daylight once your eyes adjust. I have a good scope (Burris signature 6-24x) with a large objective that really gathers light well too.

www.predatormasters.com is a really good source of information, but most of their stuff is geared toward lower 48 tactics. Some great information about hunting with lights though.
    AKmud