Thread: How much snow in Talkeetna

Default How much snow in Talkeetna

Does anyone know how much snow they have on the trails around the talkeetna river from the earth station? I am going to be heading that way on the ATV's next weekend and just wanted to be prepared. I would imagine those trails get alot of use so hopefully it wont be too bad.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'N'Photos View Post
    Does anyone know how much snow they have on the trails around the talkeetna river from the earth station? I am going to be heading that way on the ATV's next weekend and just wanted to be prepared. I would imagine those trails get alot of use so hopefully it wont be too bad.
    Went to my cabin last weekend mile 118 parks, wheelers are just fine, 3 inches is all and I have not heard of any additional. Talkeetna had about a inch when we drove by.

Thanks for the report akdsldog. Should be a good weekend if they didnt get too much more this week. Looked like it was a possibility a few times but should still be good. Any updates to that anyone?

Dont know about talkeetna but just talked to my wife and she said its snowing very hard in Wasilla right now. Dont know if you know about this site already but its pretty neat to check out and you can get a rough idea of conditions around the state at various locations. AK Weathercams.

It's falling down good right now here in Talkeetna , I'll let you know how much we have in the morning

Hopefully enough to get the sled out .
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Well it was not that bad we only had about 5 inches...
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Hey thanks for the updates and the site. I am hoping that it holds off enough to get wheelers in there until at least after this weekend. I dont have enough snowmachines yet to get the family into the cabin and we need to go in there this weekend so we can close on it next week.

Hmmm.....remote cabin.....Talkeetna.....I'm thinkin an ODD group ride to Cory's cabin! Who's in??
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

LOL! At least let me get it officially bought first!

Cory, My family is looking at buying some property off the state up near petersville. We are looking at one of the remote "subdivisions". We are looking for about 3-6 conjoined lots (depending on how many family members go in) that is reachable by atv in the summer/sled in the winter and is build-able. I am picking up a second sled tomorrow and will be looking to get out and check some lots as soon as the snow flies. I am sure there are a bunch of pitfalls to avoid and would love to hear about your experience and any recommendations you may have. Especially areas you may have researched.
    Thanks Jon

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Cory, My family is looking at buying some property off the state up near petersville. We are looking at one of the remote "subdivisions". We are looking for about 3-6 conjoined lots (depending on how many family members go in) that is reachable by atv in the summer/sled in the winter and is build-able. I am picking up a second sled tomorrow and will be looking to get out and check some lots as soon as the snow flies. I am sure there are a bunch of pitfalls to avoid and would love to hear about your experience and any recommendations you may have. Especially areas you may have researched.
    Thanks Jon
    To be honest I didnt really get to research this thing too much at all. In the year I have been here I have made some incredible friendships. Most of them just happened to have remote cabins and allowed my family to stay at a few of them to kind of get a feel for what we wanted. We started looking for land as soon as I arrived to build our own cabin and our only criteria was ATV access in the summer time and at least 2 acres. This one just kind of fell in our lap. It was one we had stayed at this summer belonging to one of our friends. I was taking a quick peak on craigslist a few weeks ago and saw an add for a cabin in that area that sounded awful familiar. I e-mailed the add and sure enough it turned out to be theirs. At first I didnt think we would be able to swing the financing, but they really wanted us to have it and worked with us bigtime on the financing. They pretty much made it a deal we couldnt refuse. As long as nothing has gone wrong with the place since our stay this summer we will close tuesday. The cabin needs some finishing and it has a cedar shingle roof that has to go, but all in all I am incredibly pleased with the deal. Petersville was one of the area's we were looking and you should be able to find what your looking for in that area.

Stop by and say hi Cory. I own the local hardware store at the south end of the Talkeetna Spur road. I like to meet the new neighbors..especially if they are ATV and archery enthusiasts Moores' Hardware and Building Supply...ask for Doug.

Hey Doug, That is kind of funny. When we drove up Friday evening we saw your store and my wife and I both said that its nice to know there's a hardware store close! We will definitely stop by and say hi and most likely support the Talkeetna economy a little. The cabin is awesome but it needs a little work.