Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transferring fuel on board

Default Transferring fuel on board

When you guys run with fuel containers on deck (like for moose hunting or long runs into the sound) how do you transfer your fuel from the larger containers to the boats fuel tank? I am talking about 30 gallon containers which are really to heavy to hold and pour the gas slowly into a funnel.
    I know one person who runs a pickup tube into a fuel drum and runs this to his outboard. But this would require modifying the fuel drum with an air valve of sorts to vent the barrel.
    I was thinking of buying a electric fuel pump designed for any auto and making sure the connections were spark proofed and using this to transfer the gas from the barrels to the fuel tank.
    Any and all thoughts are appreciated along these lines.
    Tennessee

Default transferring fuel

Randy:
    I've made the run across the Gulf a couple of times (PWS to SE) and always used a hand pump. They're not too terribly expensive and fit the 30 & 55 gal. drums....I remember bracing myself on the back deck (8' seas) at 4AM in a snowstorm one spring pumping in fuel so we could make it into Yakutat....thinking, "I want a bigger boat..." A Super Siphon works well, but you would have to have the fuel barrel higher than the tank; probably work better with the 15 gallon barrels....or go for the bigger boat!

I have used the shaker siphons with both the 15 & 30 gallon fuel containers. I had to take the shaker valve (or whatever it is called) out and replace the existing tube with a much longer run. With the 30 gallon containers, I was able to drain about half and then I would have to lift the jug up onto a cooler to drain the remainder. It worked great for me, but a pump sure would be slick.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Nothing electric...

I would most definitely stay away from anything electrical for the gasoline transfer (diesel fuel is another story).
    Go for the hand pump; the crank-type can transfer fuel rather quickly, depending on model used.
    News stories abound about gasoline, fire, sparks, etc. I've been there & done that and it's not pretty.
    Jim

I dont see what the fear would be with an electric fuel pump. After all, they are designed from the ground up to be used with gasoline and to be powered with 12 volt power.
    Siphons are out of the question because I do not want to have to pick up 30 gallon fuel containers and balance then on a 6 inch wide gunnel while waiting for them empty.
    Hand pumps seem like a nice option but they weigh about 15 pounds and that is why I am considering electric fuel pumps.
    SE Mike, how fast does your hand pump transfer and what is the cost and weight?
    Thank you
    Tennessee

Default Don't manual transfer

From my experience, you don't want to trasfer fuel like that....waves, spills, flamable vapors, water contamination, etc. Been there done that.

I plumb my 30 gallon fuel containers right into my fuel water seperator. I install a fuel valve in-line, and when I need fuel I just turn the valve.

Here's mine pictured out of the boat. The fitting on the end of the hose just goes into my fuel water sperator:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2.../Gascan001.jpg

So take your 30 gallon fuel containers and install a pick up tube, fuel valve, and vent. It's very easy to do and cost very little. I think some marine places have the stuff you need, ready to install.

My father in law and I are planning to do the same thing (plumbing extra plastic drum tanks in). We got fuel rated quick disconnects (similar to these, but ours are brass) from AIH and are going to plumb it into the separator like Big Water did. The quick disconnects look just like those used for air lines. Hopefully they will work well.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by Big Water View Post
    From my experience, you don't want to trasfer fuel like that....waves, spills, flamable vapors, water contamination, etc. Been there done that.

I plumb my 30 gallon fuel containers right into my fuel water seperator. I install a fuel valve in-line, and when I need fuel I just turn the valve.

Here's mine pictured out of the boat. The fitting on the end of the hose just goes into my fuel water sperator:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2.../Gascan001.jpg

So take your 30 gallon fuel containers and install a pick up tube, fuel valve, and vent. It's very easy to do and cost very little. I think some marine places have the stuff you need, ready to install.
    Thats an interesting idea. So you just transfer the "lids" of the fuel containers onto the next 30 gallon container when you want to empty the fuel from it?
    Do you need a bulb on the fuel line? Where is the switch on the fuel line to open/close it and do you have valve in line on the vent tueb as well?
    Tennessee

Whenever I transfer fuel from one container to another, either via siphon, manual pump, or free fall (5 gallon jug etc) I bond the 2 containers and/or the stream of fuel. It doesn't matter if I am using a funnel or not. The opportunity for static sparks is way too high.
    I also have installed a 4 way valve in my boat on the console. The primer bulb is just aft of the valve, all of which can be operated easily from the captains seat. 2 lines run permanently to the fixed tanks. A third line runs forward and is kept stowed and plugged out of the way.
    I use the 3rd line, plumbed with quick connects as described earlier in other posts, to connect to drop tubes placed in drums. Drop tubes can be purchased at marine stores or hardware stores. I use the 30 gallon drop tubes, and keep a length of hose in the tool box that will slide tightly over the tube for use in 55 gallon drums. On my last Yukon river trip we had 3 drums plumbed at any given time.
    The only extra thing that has to be done is to loosen a bung so the drum can vent. If concerned about water seeping in, I use a latex or nitrile glove stretched over the bung and cut the end of a finger off. They normally stay in place pretty well. If I need one on the feed bung, I cut the finger off enough to slip the hose through.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Thats an interesting idea. So you just transfer the "lids" of the fuel containers onto the next 30 gallon container when you want to empty the fuel from it?
    Do you need a bulb on the fuel line? Where is the switch on the fuel line to open/close it and do you have valve in line on the vent tueb as well?
    Snow, You could just transfer the "lids" to the next container, but that's a pain. I have pick-ups, valves, and vents on each 30 gallon container. And each container is plumbed directly into the fuel/water sperator. I just turn the valve on whatever container I want to run. Once on the water, you don't have to mess with a thing. You can choose to run the containers on deck first, to keep your center of gravity low, and then run your boat's under-floor tanks last.

My primer bulb is after my fuel/water seperator, so that doesn't come into play......Whatever fuel source is going to the seperator can be primed if needed.

The valve could be located anywhere between the fuel container's pick-up and the fuel/water seperator. Mine are right on the top of the container (as seen in my photo).

I don't put a valve on the vent, but you could. I just loop the vent hose through itself so water can't get in and fuel can't get out.

"Arkansas Credit Card"= Chunk of hose.

I used to use a hand pump until I found a 12V explosion proof submersible pump. It wasn,t cheap, I think I paid $60 for it through McMaster Carr, but it will empty a 15gal barrel in about 5 min. The pump, 15' of hose I attached to and the sealed bucket I keep it in weighs all of about 3lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by LastSplash View Post
    12V explosion proof submersible pump.
    Jackovich Industrial carries the little 12V submersible fuel pumps. I like the shaker siphons in the boat but the 12V does come in handy for shore to boat transfer from 55 gallon drums.

Default Danger!

All of the portable submersible pumps I have seen are not rated for gasoline. Diesel yes, gas, no. Be very careful using any electrical pump around gasoline. I know, I am preaching to the boys that know all, but really read the labels before using those pumps. I took somebodies advice years ago and used a similar pump up until the moment I found it was not rated for gasoline. The "friend" thought he was doing me a favor. Maybe there is a gas rated pump out there, but please be careful.
    Gas vapors going boom, especially in a boat, is just bad news.

What about simply using an automotive "in tank" fuel pump? 12V and rated submersible in gasoline and should be easy/cheap to find at a junk yard.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

AK mud, That is what I was originally referring to. But the auto fuel pumps are not submerged in the gas tank. They are attached outside of it. But they are obviously rated for gasoline.
    Not quite sure what I will do. I dont like the idea of fuel lines laying around the deck of the boat. Using a pump to transfer fuel to the boat's gas tank is a simple idea.
    At least I have some time to think about it. Keep the ideas coming as brain storming is always a good thing
    Tennessee

With my submersible pump I attached about 3' of hose with a super siphon to the suction of the pump because I to am a little hesitante to drop anything electric into a tank of gas. Another mod I did to it was to add an additional seal to the wiring by applying a good amount of RV goop.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    AK mud, That is what I was originally referring to. But the auto fuel pumps are not submerged in the gas tank. They are attached outside of it. But they are obviously rated for gasoline.
    Not quite sure what I will do. I dont like the idea of fuel lines laying around the deck of the boat. Using a pump to transfer fuel to the boat's gas tank is a simple idea.
    At least I have some time to think about it. Keep the ideas coming as brain storming is always a good thing
    The automotive electronic fuel pumps are fully submersed in the tank. I have replaced plenty of them as a mechanic and can attest to that. They are not the fastest pumps but would allow you hands free pumping and be great when you can get a tank higher than the one you want the fuel to go in to.

I pump right out of 50 gal drums, have a link plumbed from my filter head at a T with a 3 way valve, 50 gal has a quick release fuel fitting and stand pipe in the bung . connect the hose, flip the valve, pump the bulb up. done.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast