Thread: 405 Win, 450/400 NE & 9.3x74 R, your favorite?

Default 405 Win, 450/400 NE & 9.3x74 R, your favorite?

The more I look into these No.1's the more I'm liking the idea of a Gentleman's piece or two bedded in my safe(grin).

From what I've read, these 3 boys are the new kids on the No.1 block.

Which one is your favored cal/combo & why?

The 9.3x74R seems to be the near perfect combo(cal, weight, length/balance etc), or at least from what I've read(It does get allot of praise!)
    Who here can vouch for this?

I also like the 450/400 NE 3", but the more I read up on the 405 Winchester the more I'm starting to appreciate that golden oldie as well. And think it's a better cal in some respects.
    It would make a fine 200yds woods/Elk etc cal IMO, & one without to much recoil. Who here agrees?

Default Agree on the 405!

I have 2 #1's A 1S in 45-70 and a 1H in 416 RM. My 405 is a 1895 (Jpn). The #1's are good shooters. The 1895 kills on both ends. Still it is my second favorate lever my first is my Mod 71 348. You may get a little better speed with handloads in a #1. The Rugers are nifty rifles.

Default choices

So many choices.... so little time and money! In a good single shot, "gentleman's" rifle , maybe the 405 Win. Bullet selection (.411-.412) is small but ok for the modest working velocities I like. Kodiak and Hawk make good hunting bullets for it in sizes suitable for the Win. 95 lever rifle. But the 35 Win is nothing to sneeze at either and is often over-looked. Lot's of correct dia. 35 bullets out there but headstamped brass is slim pickins. Then again can't disagree with the 348/Win 71 lever either but good hunting bullet choices are even slimmer.

Default Haven't used any, but also considering one...

I think I'd have to go with the .405, just because it's 'American'....AND, just saying 'Four Oh Five' rolls off the tongue so easy, and sounds SO cool!
    Not very 'Gentlemanly' reason, BUT, I'll never stop scratching my butt, so the likelihood that anyone will EVER call me a Gentleman is pretty remote!

I own a Chapuis double rifle in 9,3x74R and I love it! Even though the rifle is reasonably light weight at about 7.5 pounds the recoil with Woodleigh 286 gr bullets is not near as bad as a 375H&H.
    Brass and bullets are easily found as well. This caliber is dang near perfect for bigger bears and moose up here in my opinion.
    Tennessee

Thumbs up All good!

Well, having shot the .450-400, I'd say that would be a good one for up there. It's got nice heavy 400 gr. bullets with outstanding sectional density and of course old-timey charisma galore! The rifle itself is a little lighter and feels 'handier' because of the smaller diameter barrel, much like the .375 H&H version of the Tropical (1-H).

The 9.3X74 though is even more handy/compact and would for sure be a neat rifle. The .405 seems OK but with only 300 gr. factory loads, not enough sectional density for me. All three have that turn of the 20th century mystique about them. I'm sure all three would be pretty close to the cats' meow for most anything up there too!

Tough choice, huh?