Thread: High Thrust Props on Older Trolling OBs?

Default High Thrust Props on Older Trolling OBs?

I haven't noticed anyone posting this subject - I'm wondering has anyone tried the high-thrust props on older, 2-cycle outboard trolling engines? I bought a used, older 15 hp Evinrude that runs like a top but it came with a thrashed three-blade prop. As long as I'm going to replace it, I plan to add one of those stainless hoop prop guards and would like a little more prop thrust while trolling to keep the boat straight in breezy conditions. Any pros or cons would be appreciated. Thanks.

Just speculation but the gearing may be all wrong for what your trying to accomplish by going to a high thrust prop

Thumbs down

You probably will find that there is not much of a selection available for your OB. I tried to find a more aggressive prop for my older Suzuki 15 hp kicker & only found one diameter prop & two pitches to choose from. Good luck.

Some years ago I bought a bronze prop for a Suzuki 30hp. It was the lowest pitched prop I could find at 13" pitch, but I needed even less for the application. So I took it to a local prop shop and had them beat it down to 11" pitch. They wouldn't give me any guarantees, but it worked great. Lot's more power. The down side was the loss of top end speed, which was not an issue for me at all, but might be for you.

Unless I'm missing something, it seems any of these high thrust props would have the same trade-off of power versus speed. It's like changing the gearing on your truck to compensate for the huge tires you just mounted, but with an outboard you don't get to up-shift.

I did the same thing on my 15 hp Evinrude (97). I got a 10x7 4-blade as opposed to the original 9.5x10 3-blade. Solas makes them. Online Cabela's 80 bucks I think.

Default Thanks for Replies

I found the Solas 4-blade wheels and will order one to match the prop shaft on my kicker. Top end speed really not a consideration, but locals tell me that their high-thrust props have surprized them with the speed they can make if and when the big engine takes a dump and the kicker is the mode of transport.

Cabelas is going to love me - probably even send me another bound-copy of the fishing catalog for '08!

Default Piranha Props

Looks like you may of gotten the info you wanted, but for the heck of it check out the info piranha puts on there web site about props. The speeds they list don't count maybe for your boat but the info's there. Every boat has different effects on different water conditions.
    But they show some good info on how props work works