Thread: GoLite Hex 3 shelter

Question GoLite Hex 3 shelter

Does anyone have any experience with the GoLite Hex 3 with the nest insert? I am looking at possibly getting one for my upcoming sheep hunt.

Default Hex and mega

Can't help you with first hand knowledge of the Hex but after my research opted for a Black Dimond Mega-mid with Mega-bug... No doubt a sweet set up... I've got nothing but good things to say about this type of set up...

Huge two man and gear, comfy three man and could even stuff in four in a pinch...

http://www.bdel.com/gear/mega_light.php

http://www.bdel.com/gear/mega_bug.php

Default WinMag

Do you have any issues with condensation build up with that setup?

Default condensation

Condensation is something to consider but so far I have had no problems.

Here are a few things I've done to combat condensation.

Try to position the door and vent into the breeze...
    If no (high winds) leave 6" of clearance between ground and fly...
    Leave door partially un zipped...

And finally if you end up with 3 adults, high winds and rain... You'll likely have condensation issues... It's just the nature of the beast.

I have found the gentle slope and the slick nature of the sil-nylon allow the moisture drops to slide down to the edge away from where I'm sleeping.

Hope this helps
    Winmag

Thanks for the info WinMag, I just put a bid on the Hex3 and Nest, i really like the design and weight of the tent. It looks like it will have more than enough room for the 2 of us.

I have a Golite Hex 3 with the optional floor, but no bug netting. I often use it as a gear/cook tent when moose or bear hunting and weight isn't an issue. Have also used it as a stand alone in the mountains. It is nice and light, but does build up some condensation. Good advice has been given here on how to minimize it. It does take a little learning to figure out exactly how to pitch it and you need good ground to hold the stakes or else it won't work. Mine survived a pretty interesting hail/lightning storm in the Alaska Range last summer!

Chisana, will it hold up in the sheep mountains in the Chugach? I have been searching high and low for the right tent combo. E-bay is full of them these days.

The floor on mine comes up two or three inches from the ground and it overlaps with the main tent body, but there is a gap. If you get some wind and rain, a little might blow in through the gap. Also this tent is not as warm as a traditional tent. It will handle wind and snow loading if you stake it down well and use some guy lines. Personally, I look at my Go Lite as a summer tent up through the first two weeks of the sheep season. After that I prefer something a little more substantial. I'll try to post a picture of it in the Alaska Range tonight.

Thanks again for the info, since my hunt is the first week in September it looks like the GoLite won't work, i'll have to find something warmer and more bombrpoof.

Default my experience

Boy the similarities between the Mega Lite and Hex are sure abundant. As for it's weather resistance - HERE HERE to finding decent ground for stake out. I have had the tent in some pretty strong winds... Nothing fierce or horrible but prior to a 15 day float I pitched the tent down along Turnagain arm... Had sustained 35-40mph winds and gusts even higher. The tent held up great. Granted we synched it down to the ground and stacked rocks around the stake points - but it worked.

As for the trip.. It performed wonderfully. Used the Mega light and Mega bug in the high country and then had a North Face Himalayan 47 as a back up/ bomb proof shelter for the float...

If the picture attaches you'll see our set up.. Notice the wind was blowing hard enough to force us to use our backpacks as a wind break for the mega light.

Default options: Kifaru tipi or para tipi

It would be tough to use on a all rock base, but works great otherwise.
    The stove makes one spoiled.
    My 8 man has stood up to 70-MPH willawas while staked in the loose gravel at the southern tip of Culross. Some condenstaion issues, but the stove helps tremendously.

http://www.kifaru.net/TIPI.HTM

I'm fitting my megamid with a stovejack from to-goat, and am awaiting a 4 dogs bannerman titanium stove. Tent and stove will go right at 10 pounds.

Will be nice to have heat to dry out with, and in a light combo.

Default mega mid w/ stove

who made the modifications for the stove? Got any photos?

Talking Stove Jack

Paul ... please keep us informed how this turns out for you!!!

I was always turned off by the costs of some of the tipi style shelters (Kifaru, Ti-Goat and others) and was looking at this very same combo as a concept (or Hex 3) but wasn't sure if I wanted to experiment with it.

Pics and thoughts would be great!

I'm still waiting on the stove, and will post pics when I get it together. I'm planning on having Alaska tent and tarp sew in the jack.

I can't say it's exactly a cheap shelter, as the bannerman with an extra long chimney and spark arrestor was $500. But I've heard so many good things about the 4 dog stoves, I decided to splurge. It'll last a lifetime and will work with other tents as well.

I should have already gotten the stove, but it was apparently lost/stolen in the mail, and hopefully the replacement one get's here soon!

Default Ti Goat Stoves

I've been contemplating the Ti Goat Stove since they seem to be lighter but I'm curious if the quality is not as good or if they are just using thinner Ti? The price is a little cheaper as well ...

Ti Goat also has a new cylinder stove that is really light. You might want to check it out if weight is an issue.