Thread: My first reloads in .500 S&W

Default My first reloads in .500 S&W

I fired my new-to-me 8 3/8" S&W .500 last weekend with twenty rounds of Corbon ammo loaded with 265 bullets, and really liked it.

Today I tried two different handloads; a plain base 335 gr. at approx. 1100 fps with Blue Dot, and a 400 gr. gas check at approximately 1250 with IMR 4227. The gun handled both loads well, accuracy seemed fine, and recoils and blast were within my personal tolerances, even with the heavier load. I used Federal Std. rifle primers with both loads.

The only note of concern was the ejector star not picking up one of the empty cartridges three or four times, with the lighter load. It was easy enough to clear the problem as the brass wasn't sticking. Any suggestions on a cause or a cure on that would be appreciated.

Default same problem

Mine does the same thing. If you get a solution, please let me know. BTW, it happens just as often with factory ammo.

Call Smith&Wesson with your complaints guys. I would be nothing but unhappy with the results of a failure to extract. That is just not right by any stretch. I've only had maybe 600 rounds down the tube but have yet to have this problem. Maybe, because this gun is three years old?

Call then and ask? What the hey?

I shot my .500 again today and paid more attention to extraction. The problem I had with extraction wasn't a problem with the loads, or with the cylinder or the extractor star. When the cylinder is positoned in just the right (or wrong) way, the rim of the case hits the edge of the Hogue grip, and can get bumped off the star. Not a big deal to me as I've already ordered a set of Herrett's for the gun.

I was guessing that's what was happening. Way back when I shot PPC, you could almost guarantee it would happen any time you tried a new set of grips. I probably should have done a better job, but the Pachmeyer grips on all three of my remaining PPC revolvers all have a section roughly whittled away with an Exacto knife. If you don't mind the looks, you can do the same with your 500.

All the same, Al is right. Call Smith and fuss. They shouldn't be coming out of the factory that way, and Smith needs to do something about it.

I take your points, Big Al and Brownbear. I will contact S&W, and will advise how they respond.

On another note, I fired eighty or so rounds with a 335 cast bullet at about 900 fps today, and that was really fun! Recoil and blast were both very mild, and accuracy was fine.

I wrote S&W's Customer Support Department about the problem with the grip, and I am not impressed with their reply.

"im sorry that is the first i have heard of that happening
    i dont have a solution at this time
    thank you"

Looks like it's time for the Exacto knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
    I wrote S&W's Customer Support Department about the problem with the grip, and I am not impressed with their reply.

thank you"
    Looks like you got forwarded to the illiterate guy too... don't nobody git no learnin' ennymore?

bd

The sanding the rubber grips is the way to go. Buy yourself one of the expanding rubber drum, that fit in your drill motor. Then buy a hand full of the sanding rolls that fit over the drum. This is a great way to remove the rubber from the grips, just sand away until you find that magic spot where they feel just right and work just right. This can keep the grip smooth also.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Bob C View Post

thank you"
    When I talk to them on the phone, I get this mental picture of a guy with
    orange spiked hair and a ton of face skin piercings with beads and chains.

I feel like giving the kid the phone job was the only way to keep him out of the malls.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I'm following up on the problem with .500 S&W empties not extracting properly.

I put Herrett Jordan Trooper grips on mine this past week, and I had a repeat of the failure to extract with one round out of five.

Perhaps because of the weight of the cylinder, if I let the gun tilt to the right at all while extracting, the cylinder doesn't stay fully open and that can allow the rim of the empty to hit the grip on the way out. This can happen with either the Herrett or the Hogue grips.

How do you like those new grips compared to the Hogues? I just got my brand new 4" 500S&W last night ...haven't shot it yet but I'm excited about finally getting one.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by tananaBrian View Post
    How do you like those new grips compared to the Hogues?
    I didn't like the Hogue's at all, and I love the Herrett's. These are the third pair of Jordan Trooper grips for me, and they fit my hand perfectly ( as they should, being custom made). They are the best bargain around for $100.

Perceived recoil is less pronounced, and the gun seems better balanced. With the Hogue's it seemed very muzzle heavy, and it now feels much less so.

Interesting. I've been fairly happy with the Hogue Tamer w/Sorbothane (?) insert as far as how well it fit my hand. The wood grips from Herrett fit well enough that they don't need any recoil-absorbing gizmos, eh? It's amazing that they can make a custom grip that works well just from hand outlines (just looked at their web site's revolver page.)

Brian