Thread: Sheep Hunting Gear Recommendations

Smile Sheep Hunting Gear Recommendations

Am going on my first sheep hunt. Bighorn sheep in Alberta near Jasper. Will be guided and have horses to navigate the valleys and spot up the mountains. 3 day ride in/out. We'll keep riding to different temporary camps. Can someone provide me with a list of what pack, clothing & boots would be the best to have?

Would appreciate any info.

Welcome to the forums. There is a TON of info here already if you use the search function. Both here and in the Hunting forum. Your first place to start may be with your guide to see what he recommends for that terrain, time of year, hunt logistics, etc. If he will be packing your sheep meat, cape and horns then you can just carry a nice comfy internal pack and let them do the heavy lifting!

I'd say that the number one most important thing is your boots. And then absolutely NO cotton clothing and good lightweght packable rain gear. Wool is warm and warm when wet but is also heavy and takes a long time to dry. Synthetics are the way to go. And don't forget the MOST important thing. Get into sheep shape!! All the best high tech gear in the world is useless if you can't hump it up the mountain!

Congrats on your hunt!

Perry
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Thumbs up Congrats on your hunt!

Quote Originally Posted by twitmer898 View Post
    Am going on my first sheep hunt. Bighorn sheep in Alberta near Jasper. Will be guided and have horses to navigate the valleys and spot up the mountains. 3 day ride in/out. We'll keep riding to different temporary camps. Can someone provide me with a list of what pack, clothing & boots would be the best to have?

Would appreciate any info.
    That is some beautiful country you will be hunting! The best is often left up to individual opinion. I haven't been sheep hunting (yet), but I have been researching the gear used for the better part of two years now and I have some good experience backpacking...the two go hand in hand when you carry your home on your back.

I might first make a recommendation on some reading material. Tony Russ has a few good books out. Sheep Hunting in Alaska will give you a good foundation. Gear is always advancing, so there may be better stuff out there than what lies between the covers.

Welcome to the forums!

Guys - Thanks for the input. I"m still confused about the differences between a MARMOT PRECIP jacket and pants and the HH IMPERTECH jacket and storm pants.

I"ve had several guys (one that was on the hunt I'm going on) tell me to DEFINATELY buy a MARMOT PRECIP jacket & pants.

AGAIN - THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK. I AM working on getting in better shape. I"m in decent shape - but need to get in GOOD shape. Syd -I also like to ski... so I'm training for both sports right now.

T Witmer

Default Gear

Welcome to the ever-changing world of outdoor gear! First, I would second what Perry said, in that you should start with your Outfitter/Guide. I, as well as many others on this forum, hunt "unaided" so I can't say for sure what your guide will expect you to have.

If you are new to the world of outdoor gear, I would recommend taking a gander at some literature. Tony Russ' books are a good option, but I think the 7th Edition of Mountaineering: Freedom of the Hills offers a good introduction into many of the gear, clothing, and footwear options you have in front of you. I am a fan of Backpacker magazine as well.

From my personal experience, I would recommend buying good gear the first time around. When I was first getting involved with backpacking, I bought marginal (usually tough, but heavy) gear, and now I am upgrading bit-by-bit. I am sure it would have been cheaper to buy better gear the first time around.

As for HH Impertech vs. Marmot Precip, while both are "rain" pants I would classify them differently. The Precips are going to be lighter weight, more breathable, but also less durable and noisier. Think of Impertech as the love-child of industrial raingear (think the yellow stuff the comm fishermen wear) and nylon shell pants. I am an Impertech fan myself for backpack hunting, as I have been in some nasty winds and mixed precip where tough rain gear prevails. Attached is a picture of my hunting partner sporting his Impertech on a backpack hunt in Southcentral Ak.

I like talking about gear, especially in the off season. Post or shoot me a PM if you have any specific questions.

Wx
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default helly hansen

I used the helly hansen packable rain jacket on this years sheep hunt and really liked it. I have the marmot precip pants and cant tell much of a difference between the two.

Someone said the Marmot made much more noise than the HH. You thoughts on that?

Personally for sheep hunting I wouldn't worry about noise as much as getting good raingear. It's not like still hunting in the woods for whitetail. Unless you are bowhunting and need to do a close stalk. You'll be above treeline in the wind and rain and if it's bad rain probably not enough visibility to hunt and you'll be hunkered down. I doubt your rain gear will screw up any kind of stalk or anything on a sheep hunt.

I have North Face Venture jacket and side zip pants. TNF's version of Marmots Precip. They say it's breathable but that's only when it's dry. I don't think there is such a thing as breathable raingear. Unless you are sitting still in the rain you will sweat and get condensation on the inside.

I like the north face gear. It's light, works good enough and is white on the inside. For Dall Sheep hunting I can wear it inside out for whites.

I have a friend who is a geologist and an avid sailor. He spends a lot of time in the outdoors here in Alaska. He had used Marmot precip for years and loves it. I bought the north face cuz I got a Pro Deal through ski patrol years ago and saved some dough.

I don't think you can go wrong with Marmot Precip, HH Impertech or the TNF stuff or other high tech equivalents from other mountaineering/backpacking companies.

Some guys that have had Impertech and others say the Impertech is more durable.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

No, no , no. He's not going dall sheep hunting in Alaska, he's going bighorn hunting in the Rockies. Appropriate gear would be cowboy boots, wrangler jeans held up by a large silver belt buckle, one of those knee length waxed slickers, buckskin shirt and a stetson. Don't forget you'll need to grow out a mustache and either have a wad of chew in your gums or have the fixins to roll your own smokes. Let's see, leather gloves will also be handy and for a weapon I'd go with a lever action .30-.30.

Actually your getting pretty good advice. Precip is better if you want to go ultralight and will be moving/climbing a lot. If weight isn't as much of an issue, the Impertech is more waterproof, but not too good for high activity. If your mostly riding, the impertech will may suit you better. Also I love my precip jacket, but the pants I've found to be pretty disposable. Seem to go through a pair every hunt.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm thinking PreCip jacket and HH Impertech pants. Or... N Face Storm Pants?? I questioned how long the Marmot pants would last -they seem awfully thin.

THANKS. Any other gear input related to sheep hunting is welcome. (I think I'll get myself a pair of cowboy boots with knee length slickers to climb around in. Will grow a mustache.) (grin)

T. witmer