Thread: primer seating issues

Default primer seating issues

Hello everybody. I'm new to these forums as of a month or so ago. I have handloaded off and on for years, but as of last summer I have gotten much more serious about finding the best loads for my various rifles. Lately I have been trying to get the 100 grain Speer spitzer for my 25-06 dialed in. I loaded a box using half IMR 4831 and half IMR 7828, each with both of the powder charges listed in the Speer 13 edition. After shooting the slower loads with each powder with no pressure issue indicators on the primers, I proceeded to the hotter loads. These also fired with no problems, and I had really good groups with the compressed load of 60 grains of 7828 in particular. When I went to seat primers in the empties just now, I found that the primers sort of bind up and then pop in to the pocket, which I have never had happen before in any caliber. They seemed to shave a little crescent of brass off of the pocket too, which could be recovered from the little primer cup on my press after the primer seated. Anybody ever had this happen?

Are you using reformed military cases, by chance?

If not, I'm guessing your hot loads are too hot and you've got problems, no matter what the book says.

No, no military brass. Winchester brass, Federal primers. So the deal is, on a rifle to rifle basis, some guns will shoot the hotter loads in the book and some won't? I have always loaded somewhat conservatively, which may be why I havn't had anything like this happen before.

Default primer problems

If you are having primer pocket problems due to hot loads, normally the primer pockets will expand, causing loose primer seating. What kind of priming equipment do you use, a hand priming tool or right on the press? As much as I like Federal primers, I have had problems with them seating with varying pressure into the pocket. I always clean the primer pockets after every firing.

I bought the RCBS Rockchucker set, which came with both the hand primer and the option to use the press itself. I have been using the press, since I learned that way from my Dad years ago. This is the first box of Federal primers I have ever used, I bought them only because the Warehouse was out of my usual CCI 200s on an evening that I really wanted to load. I'm also familiar with the expanding pocket thing, and I clean the pockets each time too. So, this is kind of a mystery. The primers still seat, just not as smoothly and I wonder if its even a big deal at all. Incidentally, I tried seating a CCI primer with the same result with this batch of brass. Is Winchester brass considered OK among serious handloaders?

What you have had happen, is case head set-back. This is common when you get up in pressure. What you need to do is uniform the primer pockets, The link provided will give you the information you need to preform this operation. This is a step taken after you size/decap your cases after each firing. There are several benefits to this operation.

A piece of advise. Primers used for pressure indications is a vary bad idea.
    Case head expansion is much better, and far safer.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/...PUN&type=store

"So the deal is, on a rifle to rifle basis, some guns will shoot the hotter loads in the book and some won't?"

You got it. Go back and read the manual. Every one of them says something to the effect: "Approach all maximum loads with caution, starting at a lower charge and increasing a grain at a time while watching for pressure signs."

Loading a top listed charge and firing it without working up to it is a formula for problems. You can also get into problems if you substitute any of the components they specify for a top loads. Some brands of primers are hotter than others, and the actual capacity of cases varies with the brand. Then you get into the small differences between rifle chambers, even in the same brand, caliber and model.

No one is being critical of you or accusing you of newbie mistakes. It happens to all of us.

After 40+ years of reloading I still get bit now and then. Just last week I was loading for my 25-35, which I've been shooting for a long time. But I was using cases I'd just formed from Fed 30-30 brass. I dropped the charge back 10% from what I'd been loading before in Winnie cases, thinking that would be plenty to allow for a little less case capacity.

Nope. First one I fired wouldn't extract. Considering myself a reloading codger and conservative to boot, you would think I would have had enough sense to load only a few rounds and try the load before loading a bunch of them.

Nope, again. I had loaded 200 rounds of the bloomin things. I'll tell you for sure, it's a real DRAG pulling bullets from 199 loaded rounds.

See what I mean?

Every single thing the others have said is very true, and I'm sure you'll give serious thought. This is a great forum. The only consideration that I will add (and it is not a solution for your posted concern), is to switch over to your hand primer, rather than using the press/tube method. Try it out.

Default Mistakes

I fully agree with Brownbear. I have been reloading since the mid-70's, and still make a mistake here and there, just like everyone else. Anyone that says the don't are fooling themselves or not being truthful......
    I really enjoy reloading. It is fun to me, but one thing you absolutely MUST be a stickler for is safety and avoiding distractions. If you start getting side-tracked from anyone or anything, stop reloading immediately, until you can get back to concentrating on what you are doing. One slip of a double charge of primer seating can be disasterous.
    Be safe, and have fun!!!!
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Thanks for all the advice, guys. Looks like its time to do some research.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Brownbear:
    I KNOW what you mean.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.