Thread: Frozen wheels

Default Frozen wheels

I've got a 1986 Fourtrax and the back wheels won't move. I think the brake is stuck. Anyone have any advice on how to get them unstuck?

Default Add Heat

You'll need a plumbers torch and hammer(s), small pry bars may come in handy. The drums are froze up so heat the hub's circumference which will expand the metal enough to bang em' off. Be patient, it may take awhile, so grab a seat and a cold one.

Go ask the guys who say the Honda is the most dependable ATV out there
    (dont get upset, just having a litle fun there Honda guys)

Seriously, buckets of hot water and tapping it with a hammer should work. My old Suzuki King Quad would do that all the time in sub freezing conditions.
    Tennessee

Sorry, I should have been more specific. They are frozen as in they won't move even if the machine thaws out in the garage for a while. They've been stuck all summer but I'm just now getting around to trying to get them to move again.

I think they froze last winter when I locked the brake when it was on the trailer but they never started moving again. They'll move if I give it enough throttle but that's not good for it, obviously.

You didn't run it through salt water and put it up for the winter did you?

No, not salt water. But I shouldn't have left the brake set. Lessen learned the hard way I guess.

Default remove brake drum

You need to remove brake drum and inspect brake shoes. Back off brake cable tension and tap on drum with hammer until you can pull drum off. Clean all parts and serfaces, replace shoes if needed. You need to replace drum seals to keep all water and mud out of brake drum. I just replaced rear seals and bearing on my sons Ozark (shoes were fine) works like new now.

thanks, I'll give that a try.