Thread: Kodiak Blacktails

Default Kodiak Blacktails

Has anyone here been to Kodiak within the last few weeks hunting blacktails? If so I would appreciate hearing about about your hunt and numbers of deer seen.
    Not looking for second hand information, looking for someone who has actually been hunting.
    Tennessee

In two weeks I'll be able to provide you that information.

Personally I hunted the roadsystem about a dozen times. Filled the freezer with a decent forkhorn with eyeguards, I averaged around 3-4 bucks a day spotted (last fall I saw around 15 per day). Some valleys are void of deer and some have a few. None have anything like they've had the past few years. I know a lot of guys that waited to hunt late Oct and didn't see any bucks.
    Second hand info from friends (locals) once you get south of Ugak Bay the deer herd is fine. The 4 Raspberry and Afognak reports I've heard are pretty bad. That jives with what F&G has stated, 10,000 winter kill on the northend. Since the northend would include Raspberry and Afognak IMO. I know some people are saying they under estimated the die-off, but 10k is a lot of deer when you consider they estimate the entire island had around 65k. Another thing to remember is that the northend is the lowest population density area of the island. So yeah, we lost about 99% of last years fawns and 50% of the adult deer. Amazingly a lot of the same people now saying they underestimated the die off are the same ones screaming that they over-estimated it earlier in the year.

I also hunted the road system and found there to be a lot less deer than last year. I also spent some time south of the road system, and it seemed the farther south I went the more deer I saw, at least that was my perception. Just had to work a little harder this year. Still enjoyed getting out.

I did well on the road system last week near Kalsin Bay. Up fairly high and far back we actually saw quite a few does and a few bucks. My son shot his first big forkie so he was very pleased.

Thanks for the input. We are headed down on the 19th. May change the area we are going to and head further south. Not sure at this moment what to do. Generally when there is a huge die off the bigger bucks survive another year or two. We may just have to hunt higher and harder to get those 90 points and up bucks this year.
    Tennessee

Just got back and its not looking good unless you hunt down south past olga bay,had 4 hunters,6 days kill 1 buck,My buddy runs a 80 ft boat there and he said this is his last hunt this week if the hunting is bad again,he is canceling his other hunts for the year.i talked to a guy who hunted grants lagoon,got 3 bucks and saw 8 bears,Not as good as 3 years ago,no deer.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Thanks for the input. We are headed down on the 19th. May change the area we are going to and head further south. Not sure at this moment what to do. Generally when there is a huge die off the bigger bucks survive another year or two. We may just have to hunt higher and harder to get those 90 points and up bucks this year.

Here's one thing to remember. A buck that just came out of a winter where it dang near starved to death will not be able to grow the antlers it would have in a normal year. Some of the no-nutters will be ok since they didn't go through the rut last fall, but they aren't known for growing trophy racks anyway. I'm not trying to rain on anyones parade here, but you have to be realistic.
    P.S. land south of Olga Bay is Ahkiok lands and native, so you will need a permit. Get off the boat and hunt.

Spent 8 days hunting hard between Olga lk and dead man bay seen roughly 25 deer total, i've hunted this spot 3 different times in the past and i'd say winter kill effected the south end also,lots of bears this year...good luck to all