Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9mm auto good for wolf protection?

Default 9mm auto good for wolf protection?

Given the news of the recent dog wolf nighttime encounter I may have to rethink my position on handguns for animal defense. I currently carry a Ruger RH 44mag but never though about the possibility of a wolf encounter, I mean 6 shots against 5 wolves doesn't leave much room for error. Hmm maybe I finally have some leverage to push the wife for a shiny new 1911. I don't know though does a 9mm have enough stopping power for a charging (err... do wolves charge?) wolf? Perhaps I should step up to a 40 or 45 ACP, But then with the added recoil could I acquire and connect with multiple targets in a hurry.... The only thing I am sure of is night sights are a must!

Wink this is a "joke" post, right?

c'mon man, you're kidding aren't you? just watching too many re-runs of white fang and old yeller? or maybe you are trying to get AKPM to rise to a bait? ( he'll hit a sloppy cast...no need for precision <grin>)
    we occasionally carry a .357 when joring or snowshoeing with an unleashed dog, i always carry when mushing but more for moose than anything else... i would reckon a .22 with 10 in the mag would deter any wolves...you could tape mags together if it made you feel better.
    sheesh, you are taking fear of the wild to a new level!!!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default 9mm will be fine...

The elders in my village used Ruger 22 Semi Auto pistols for thier wolf trap days...but uh, yeah, Homerdave is right, just how many wolf attacks are there???
    Last edited by gogoalie; 11-02-2007 at 00:53. Reason: addition..

just how many wolf attacks are there???
    Well, I know that they do happen. And it is better to be safe than sorry.

On 8 November 2005, Kenton Carnegie, a 22 year-old college student from Ontario was working at a mine in northern Saskatchewan, when he went for a walk. Hours later, his body was found at the edge of a lake, in snow covered with wolf tracks. He had been chased and knocked down several times, before he was killed.

I carry my Kimber 45 ACP with me most places, cuz you never know.

schmidty
    Last edited by schmidty_dog; 11-02-2007 at 01:41. Reason: Found more information to post

I'm not worried about a direct wolf attack on myself, but when we are out with our little dog they've chased her almost up to our feet with out paying much attention to us at all. At least untill the gun went bang..
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    c'mon man, you're kidding aren't you? just watching too many re-runs of white fang and old yeller?
    sheesh, you are taking fear of the wild to a new level!!!

C'mon Dave, think about it......Some folks believe Lil' Red Riding Hood was a documentary..........
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    C'mon Dave, think about it......Some folks believe Lil' Red Riding Hood was a documentary..........

It wasn't? There goes rest of my beliefs!

Talking you can do better!

Of the hundreds of animals through the years that I've had the privilege (skin them) to work on, the 9mm seemed to me to be the least effective in terminal damage. Penetration is very poor...even the 22 mag seems to do better. Multiple shots seem necessary (sometimes as much as 10) and I've found bullets under the hide that never penetrated much at all and most won't go through the neck of a cougar. Same applies to bears, and I would put wolves into this category also. From what I've seen, the 357 is real good, along with the bigger bores, if one wants a stopper. One could probably make a case that the 9mm isn't all that effective as a personal defense weapon, aside for the magazine capacity. On a side note, I have to sew up these holes so you know what I won't recommend. Thanks, ciao.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Default justification to buy

Lujon sounds like I do when I am trying to finagle a new purchase. What is the best angle to get what I want and not have my wife unit kill it in committee. He obviously has enough power in the .44, but is quite appropriately (from a man's perspective more toys = more better) looking for options.
    The 9mm seems light, but comes double stacked and ammo for practice is cheap. A 9mm super or .357sig would seem to pump the power right up where you want it. Even though folks joke about the .40weak there is another good option. If you are going to carry an extra mag or 2 there is is a CZ97 in .45 with 4 mags in the for sale forum at a pretty good price. Then there is the good old 10mm, more than enough for wolves and big enough to turn a mad moose. If a guy want to get a bit outlandish, there was a .50 desert eagle for sale in the Fairbanks Daily Newsminer classified section.
    Just remember, you don't want it, you NEED it to keep the family safe.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty_dog View Post
    Well, I know that they do happen. And it is better to be safe than sorry.

On 8 November 2005, Kenton Carnegie, a 22 year-old college student from Ontario was working at a mine in northern Saskatchewan, when he went for a walk. Hours later, his body was found at the edge of a lake, in snow covered with wolf tracks. He had been chased and knocked down several times, before he was killed.

I carry my Kimber 45 ACP with me most places, cuz you never know.

schmidty
    1. Habituated wolves who were being fed at the camp and had no fear of humans.
    2. No direct proof that it even was the wolves as there were bear tracks around and it was late in the year for a bear to be out of it's den.
    3. If you chose to call that a documented attack that would bring the grand total of fatal wolf attacks to one.
    4. I carry a 357 myself, cuz you never know

Talking

Generally if I am in a heavily wolf infested area and think they might jump me I carry an STI 38 Super with 26 round mag and a couple of extra mags. I can usually handle all but the largest and most aggressive wolf packs with that set up.

Mark

I suppose if I could schedule my encounters with the various dangers, I'd just save weight and not bring my sidearm on the days when danger wasn't on the schedule, bring the 450 Marlin on the bear days, a Louisville slugger on the pit bull days, and the leather gloves and machete on the Devil's Club days.

But, unfortunately, danger can't seem to keep a schedule. It might be "drunk jerk" on the schedule on a particular day, but I end up running into a belligerent moose on a narrow trail when pulling a fold-a-sled (which eliminates the "reverse" trick for my sno-go).

I just hate it when entities can't keep a schedule!

So I carry my favorite outdoors sidearm whenever I go into the woods. I've chosen a 357 mag Ruger SP101. If I ran into a pack of wolves like this guy did, I'd feel quite confident. In fact, I might even play "prey" to get them within range in order to turn it and "catch" a few of them before the rest got away.

I'm sure once the shooting started, I'd have to reload real fast in order to get a couple more shots off before the survivors reached the brush. Wolves aren't stupid.........

Default what homer dave says

as far as the 9mm goes unless your planning to shot out your front door at a very close range don't bother,unless you live in one of the gang infested areas,in all my encounters with the big dog they are getting as far away as possible and fast thus think about getting a rifle that can spit some lead and a lot at some distance.i'll stick with my Ar-15 when pursuing the big dog.

If you chose to call that a documented attack that would bring the grand total of fatal wolf attacks to one.
    Once is enough. Why be unprepared?

I agree 100%

Default That is a great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by gusuk1 View Post
    as far as the 9mm goes unless your planning to shot out your front door at a very close range don't bother,unless you live in one of the gang infested areas,in all my encounters with the big dog they are getting as far away as possible and fast thus think about getting a rifle that can spit some lead and a lot at some distance.i'll stick with my Ar-15 when pursuing the big dog.
    Heck that is even better than the 9mm idea!!! Wow finaly a legitimate (well sort of) reason to get an AR15!!! I could still use it for bunnies, grouse and it would be good for predators.

Wink Buy the 9mm if you want it

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    I agree 100&#37;
    Me too! Why once upon a time, I stashed a pair of breathable chest waders in some bushes while I went off sheep hunting. When I came back, I found that a parka squirrel (or maybe a vole) had chewed a hole right through those waders. Man was it unconfortable crossing that glacial stream on the way back to camp. Anyone have a good recommendation for close-range protection against parka squirrels? I mean, if they get into your tent at night, it could really turn gruesome! After all, there are litterally hundreds of them in a colony. Voles are even worse. Maybe firecrackers? Anyone know how to get a special firecracker use permit from the Anchorage/MatSu Burough?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Cazador View Post
    Me too! Why once upon a time, I stashed a pair of breathable chest waders in some bushes while I went off sheep hunting. When I came back, I found that a parka squirrel (or maybe a vole) had chewed a hole right through those waders. Man was it unconfortable crossing that glacial stream on the way back to camp. Anyone have a good recommendation for close-range protection against parka squirrels?...
    We had a similar problem with our base camp while sheep hunting. We returned to a destroyed camp. We could even see the squirrels bouncing on the tent from afar.

A dog was brought to camp and tethered there the following year, but the mournful baying while we hiked through the mountains wasn't much better, and we were worried that the dog would end up as lunch for a griz.

Nope. If you can figure something out for those little monsters, let me know.

...I mean, if they get into your tent at night, it could really turn gruesome! After all, there are litterally hundreds of them in a colony. Voles are even worse. Maybe firecrackers?.....
    Oh, no problem if I'm on site. My 22 revolver works fine. No permits needed. I've even attempted just stomping on them with my boot on, but I'm never fast enough (works on the voles, though)..........

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Devil's Club days.
    Now this is a foe I need a new sidearm for! Any suggestions out there? Talk about one vicious foe. Not only do they attack you at your most vulnerable point while climbing the mountains and hills along the coastline(while falling and reaching for an anchor), but they continue to cause pain and immobilization for days to weeks!

Lujon: Any reason at all works for a new gun. As for the Red Rats with bushy tails, a good rat trap works great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast