View Poll Results: Kill how many wolves?

Voters
318. You may not vote on this poll
  • All of em... If it crawls it falls

54 16.98%
  • Most Wolves... I'm afraid for my dog

61 19.18%
  • A few wolves... wolf pelts are income

191 60.06%
  • Kill no Wolves... Wolves are cute

12 3.77%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kill all wolves?

Default Kill all wolves?

So Kill All wolves?
    Kill Most wolves?
    Kill a few wolves?
    Kill no wolves?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Mark

I didn't like any of the available options.

I say "Kill as many as ADFG deems appropriate".

Wolves need to eat also, but I do think they need thinning out a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I didn't like any of the available options.

I say "Kill as many as ADFG deems appropriate".
    I agree. I don't care for any of the choices.

When given a chance, I'll most certainly take a wolf or two. Predators are an important part of any ecosystem, but allowing their numbers to fluctuate makes managing ungulates difficult. I've only taken one wolf thus far, but wouldn't hesitate to take another.

I suppose I would choose the third option, but I don't hunt predators for income.

Yep, poor choices. I hunt wolves and bears where I hunt moose and sheep, and its usually by chance that I get a crack at a wolf. I've also only taken one, missed a couple but try to always be ready.
    Last edited by whitepalm; 11-01-2007 at 17:42. Reason: add on

AKPM - I'm a little surprised that you chose "kill a few wolves". Haven't you previously stated that you would only kill something if you eat the meat? (Honest question here - not trying to pick at you.)

Default If I See One in the Field...

I didn't like the choices either, so didn't vote. If I see one in the field and it's legal for me to shoot one in that GMU, I'll take it.

Also, the only wolf I've shot probably led to the only moose I've shot. Hunting in 2006 out of Tok, I shot a wolf at about 100 yards, dropped it with one shot. Was sitting waiting for the environment to bounce back from the sound of the blast, when I looked down the ridge and saw a canoe paddle sticking out of the spruce about 400 yards away. After some brush scraping and sneaking down the ridge a ways, shot the bull at about 225 yards.

Michael

Default Immature

go figure

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

I've killed dozens of wolves over the years- mostly through land and shoot methods, but some from trapping, snowmachining and a few others from shotgunning. I support predator control thoroughly, but I also understand their role in various ecosystems and would never want to see any species wiped out.

I know you won't understand AKPM, however I sincerely believe that we as humans are clearly predators at the top of the food chain. If we deem it necessary to decrease/control the population of other predators than so be it- as long as we're intelligent enough to not eradicate them.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    AKPM - I'm a little surprised that you chose "kill a few wolves". Haven't you previously stated that you would only kill something if you eat the meat? (Honest question here - not trying to pick at you.)
    I actually said I wouldn't kill something unless I could use it in a way other than putting it on my wall...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I actually said I wouldn't kill something unless I could use it in a way other than putting it on my wall...
    Sorry for the misquote.

So...how would you use a wolf? Sell the hide?? The one I shot is hanging on the wall in my classroom. I use it as a visual aide when we talk about population dynamics.

Wolves are like any other animal. They need controlled. Wolves are not the cute, cuddly little darlings PETA wants you to think. They kill for fun, and just to do it sometimes.

I fully support predator control to manage the ratio in any given area. Have killed a few over the years, and have never regretted it one second. Wish I could have taken more.

There is a better way than putting it on your wall. Put it on your floor or draped on the back of your couch.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Like the Wyoming ranchers say...Smoke a pack a day !!!! thats killin' em Wyoming style....

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I think it was a sarcastic post put up to show his disdain for "Trophy Hunting"

I think they should be deemed a big game animal and controlled to acceptable numbers that their habitat and their prey can support.
    They are not evil as some say, they are just an efficient predator.

I killed two in unit 13 back in '98.

I consider them two of my finest trophies.
    I left the meat in the woods for the eagles, ravens and maggots.
    I have no qualms about that and sleep very well at night.
    Pardon the finger, I used this photo to antagonize a buddy.

I didn't like any of the answers but "kill some" got closest.

Ohh Salmanella, you asked for that which follows. I get the feeling this threads about to take a turn.

Nice Wolf Salmonella .....

I've killed quite a few over the years over on Prince of Wales. None lately.

A friend was just saying quite a few were being seen over on Gravina. Maybe somebody should go Wolf hunting .... anybody?

That is the Island where the 'bridge to no where' was going. I say build the bridge and lets go hunt some Wolves.

Wolves should be listed same as porcupines and squirrels.

I think the regs on wolf should be no limit no closed season. I believe not all the wolves would be wiped out. There will always be some in the hardest to reach places where they belong (and in the national parks).

I put kill most wolves. But you can add the dogs to that as well.

killing wolves in absolutely necessary in both population control and problem wolves. i grew up in montana where, like idaho and wyoming, there are wolves targeting livestock as easy prey. ALL wolves targeting livestock should be killed. i know this isn't a major problem in alaska but moose and other game are a major source of food just like beef, maybe even more so for many. don't think i'm saying kill em all, but i'm more for human beings doing as much of the population control of game as possible, it puts food on the table.

Unhappy Can you cay Dumb ***?

This is a stupid poll. I know this is a way to spark debate but this one needs to meet the trashcan and fast. Big state with lots of room for lots of animals, even a Dumb ***.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Backcountry Rentals
    Your best bet in Rafts and camp rentals
    www.northwestalska.com
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    33 miles north of the Arctic Circle
    Last edited by Brian M; 11-01-2007 at 22:21. Reason: language (nope, you can't) :)

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    Nice Wolf Salmonella .....

A friend was just saying quite a few were being seen over on Gravina. Maybe somebody should go Wolf hunting .... anybody?

That is the Island where the 'bridge to no where' was going. I say build the bridge and lets go hunt some Wolves.
    Muskeg: I'll second that! Six of us in Sept. went over to do just that. Bear was also on the menu. 4 went to Bostwick area, my son and I went into Vallenar. I think that's the first hunting trip to Gravina in the fall where we've never seen a bear. We ran into a lot of bear and wolf sign but no critters. Our 4 partners saw one running wolf-no shot and a sow and cub-so no shot. Our whole plan was to do some thinning to help out the deer.

There's always next year.

kingfisherktn

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast