Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: moose hunting

Default moose hunting

i was just wondering if anybody had trouble getting a bull to answer their calls this fall? i hunted the last 6 days of a 20 day unit and had zero replies. i talked to a biologist at f&g and theyre knocking around the idea of adjusting the season 'cause of the warmer falls. any comments or stories?

Default I had no problems calling moose...

I had problems with shooting moose...

I was unable to call a moose in, but I'll be the first to admit that I'm probably not very good at it. Yeah, I've watched the videos and such, but I hunt sheep and caribou way more often than moose. For all I know, I sound like a wounded platypus out there.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default Area

I would be curious to know where you were hunting 64? Not that I want to go and not be able to call a moose in that area either, but because I have noticed that moose in areas that are more heavily hunted are much wiser than moose in areas where 'imperfect' calls seem to get them going. I hunt in a fairly remote area and had no problem turning my bull around this fall- on the 1st of september.

Default Bull Calling

I had no problems calling in two different bulls on three occasions until I finally closed the deal on one of them (watched alot of moose calling videos). This was before the rut between the 9-12 September, although I saw several other bulls these two hung around and came to me grunting, I just didn't have good comfortable distance and shots (archery only area) , besides i think they winded me, I did use cow scent lure prior to calling that might have helped, I just used a sawed off oil funnel bought from Walmart and a quaker boy "Moose mate" its a soft call I use when the bull is in real close. I know that too much calling can drive them off too. The way I did it was I glass all day and then watched them for a while...then called, but not aggressively, there were some cows around so it was hit or miss with these bulls, these bulls were big (60" plus) so I know they weren't dumb either, I guess it depends where you are too....CK

My calls worked...
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I called in several but was unable to shoot one due to legality issues, in more that 15 days of moose hunting I saw 1 legal bull and he was over 700 yards away. Calling moose is a blast and the most effective way to hunt them IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    I called in several but was unable to shoot one due to legality issues, in more that 15 days of moose hunting I saw 1 legal bull and he was over 700 yards away. Calling moose is a blast and the most effective way to hunt them IMO.
    IMO, Spot and Stalk is the very most effective way to hunt and take moose. Not a day goes by in hunting camp, that we don't see legal animals and take at least one. After a couple of days in an area, we like to mix up tactics and find one that works. To see only one legal bull in 15 days seems impossible to me. But the only time I use a call, is to get them up out of their bed, when I am within shooting range. As far as F&G changing season dates to later in the year, IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN! Their goal is to increase number of days afield (opportunity) and reduce harvest (not increase it).

there is not one day that you don't spot and shoot a bull? are you hunting in Oz? spot and stalk is cool if you are in an area that is conducive to that. i unfortunately don't have the finances to get remote as i would like and so there is some competition around. i have called in most of the moose i have shot and try to put myself in areas that allow me to hunt that way.

Default hot weather

The last two years the weather has been warm in september in the area that we hunt. It is not a spot and stalk area and we have to rely on the moose crossing the river and moving around in pre-rut. In 5 years we have harvested 15 moose but the previous two only one. We could see the tracks from them crossing at night but not during the day. Only the last 2 days of the season did we see the moose active during the day. They also did not answer the call as they had in previous years. Hopefully ADF&G will look at moving the seasons if this weather pattern continues. It was strange to see leaves on the trees in mid sept.

I had no problems calling-in a moose this year, on the eight day of the season. I have also called them on the first week a couple of times.

Default Food for thought!

A few years back I attended a seminar on Moose hunting at the Great Alaskan Sportsman show in Anchorage. I forget who the speaker was but I do remeber it was a ADF&G rep. I asked him about the rut, more specifically "Does the rut come earlier in the interior than it does in Southcentral?" He stated that the rut for Moose is about the same time everywhere and this includes Sweden and the lower forty-eight. He said there is no one day that all bulls turn-on to the rut but that in about a seven day period, everywhere, they start to get into it. Some faster than others. He did state also that the regular season is not during the main rut and that you can get some bulls that seem like they are not interested at all and then some that seem to be hotter than hot.
    I then asked about calling, because it seemed like the bulls up north were more aggressive to coming into calls. He stated that it will depend more on the heat. When it's warm or hot during the day they do most of their activities at night and when it's cooler, they will do some during the day.
    With that information and with the Moose hunting I've done, (not bragging here just validating my experience 25 moose in 25 years), what he was saying made good sense. I find that in the interior where it has a better chance of being cooler during the day I have had good success during the day and in southcentral (especially Kenai Peninsula) where it tends to be warmer, I have had more success early early morning and late evening and not as much action during the day. When we have had warmer/hot days in the interior I generally didn't see much during the day so I will call at night to try and coax one in close to camp for early morning.

That is my two cents worth and to answer the original question, Yes, I called my bull in this year on the Kenai Peninsula. (Sorry, long winded)

Default vocalizing

There was a letter to the editor in the ADN about a guy complaining of lack of responses from his calls in 14A, due to the early closure this year. This the first year it's closed in 14 Sept 20 instead of 30th. He said he had lots of responses in years past, during the period 20-30th and this year, of course, he heard NOTHING. I went out about the 16th to Pt Mac and we hear three bulls the first night, as shooting light died out. It was chilly that night but they weren't grunting the next morning and we didn't hear them again. It was not particularly cool that last week. The earlier the seasons close in Southcentral, the less likely the weather will chill.

Nicely said, Itsryd.

The biologist was Dr. Victor van Ballenburghe. He worked for USGS Biological Research Division and is best known for his 30+ years of studying moose behavior, particularily rutting behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    IMO, Spot and Stalk is the very most effective way to hunt and take moose. Not a day goes by in hunting camp, that we don't see legal animals and take at least one. After a couple of days in an area, we like to mix up tactics and find one that works. To see only one legal bull in 15 days seems impossible to me. But the only time I use a call, is to get them up out of their bed, when I am within shooting range. As far as F&G changing season dates to later in the year, IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN! Their goal is to increase number of days afield (opportunity) and reduce harvest (not increase it).
    Yep, 1 legal bull and he was the second biggest i've ever seen in the wild and he was maybe 7-8 miles outside of Anchorage, problem was he was to far away for a shot and for some reason did not come all the way into my calls and thrashing. The area I hunted the first part of the season we saw bulls every day but for some reason not a 1 was legal other than the 57"er and the pike fork that was taken before we got to camp.

That is a pretty bold statement Akres.

I think spot and stock hunitng moose is a lot of fun by no means is it the most effective in my opinion. If your good on a call and in a good area I find it pretty hard to beat.

Try and spot and stalk on the Yukon River down in 21E or up on the Koyukuk. It's pretty flat country and the spot part is pretty tough mixed in with the thick brush and it's more like stomping on firecrackers than actually stalking.

Go to some units locally in the Anchorage or Wasilla area and you can spot and stalk. SO I think it is area driven.

I have a friend that was a guide in unit 13 and never called. Just spot and stalk. Then he started hunting with me and learned to call.

He is no longer a big fan of spot and stalk. If I am in a good spotting area I will spot then start the stalk and finish it with a call.

Just my opinion.

The area I like to hunt most, has a knoll in the middle of a valley. I glass from the knoll, spotting a radius of 25 miles, 360 degrees. That is a lot of country to look over. We spot the moose, ID them and wait for them to bed down. Then stalk to within shooting distance and get them up. Works every time. No wasted effort, no losing them in the brush, etc. When they bed down after the morning feeding, they are there for 4 or 5 hours, plenty of time to complete the stalk. I have used a call to get them all up at once and allow us to look them over and then wait for them to bed back down again. Only a couple of times have we had them advance toward the call. I have also on rare ocassion used a call or a subtle whistle to get them up, when getting within shooting distance, especially if there was more than one legal bull running together, it helps get them all up standing and looking straight at you, while you make the final decision. As I mentioned earlier, we change the tactics once in awhile, but my experience has been that we have been most successful when using stealth tactics and not making any noise at all and no movement in the feeding areas until it is time to stalk and shoot. I personally enjoy hunting in the high alpine region, right at treeline.

Default What optics are ya using??

The area I like to hunt most, has a knoll in the middle of a valley. I glass from the knoll, spotting a radius of 25 miles, 360 degrees. That is a lot of country to look over. We spot the moose, ID them and wait for them to bed down. Then stalk to within shooting distance and get them up. Works every time. No wasted effort, no losing them in the brush, etc. When they bed down after the morning feeding, they are there for 4 or 5 hours, plenty of time to complete the stalk. I have used a call to get them all up at once and allow us to look them over and then wait for them to bed back down again. Only a couple of times have we had them advance toward the call. I have also on rare ocassion used a call or a subtle whistle to get them up, when getting within shooting distance, especially if there was more than one legal bull running together, it helps get them all up standing and looking straight at you, while you make the final decision. As I mentioned earlier, we change the tactics once in awhile, but my experience has been that we have been most successful when using stealth tactics and not making any noise at all and no movement in the feeding areas until it is time to stalk and shoot. I personally enjoy hunting in the high alpine region, right at treeline.
    A 25 mile radius to ID moose? With my swarovski 20-60X its hard to see if its a legal spike fork or count brow tines consistently beyond much beyond 3 miles. I gotta ask what your using to see that far and tell if its legal or not.

I think Akres explained himself well on this one. The statement of Spot and Stalk being the most effective applies to that situation. And Where HE LIKES to hunt.

I could agree it might be awesome in that area but to generalize it as the best is a tough call.

Hunt the flats on the Yukon and I guarentee you a guy that can call will out hunt the spot and stalker.

Personally I hunt over in the Yukon area as I like any bull units. A guy can go right up to Puritan Creek out of Palmer and see 10 bulls in a day that won't be legal by using the spot method.

25 miles is pretty extreme especially if your planning on packing your moose. My limit on high alpine areas is 3 miles and im not packing no further.

Hmm,
    I doubt they make a glass that can do what we hope for, much more than a few miles. But I use a Leupold and a Weatherby. We spot the game and if they are easy we take them. Otherwise we will wait until they move to within striking distance. Those spotted off in the distance are usually monitored for future reference and take them when the opportunity presents itself. We certainly can tell the fully matured bulls from the rag horns, at great distances, enough to know whether they warrant a stalk. We move up, down and across the wide valleys quickly, using an airboat mostly, but sometimes on ATV, only those times when we deem it necessary or want to take a specific one chosen. Mobility has proven effective for me. Spotting is best done in early morning, due to atmospheric conditions. Only hunted the Koyukuk once, and was opportunistically fortunate to limit out. I agree it was a challenge to make it happen in that region, but after a few days, we sort of figured out what worked. The Spot and Stalk became Stop and Listen and Stalk. Although one was taken at camp, as it was crossing the slough. Actually had to pack one of them about a half mile, so I know what you mean when you describe flat, brushy, swampy terrain. I am aware that some have had excellent results by calling, but not myself. I just see way more game glassing, listening and using stealth tactics, Guess I can hear moose talk, better than I can speak their language.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast