Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for hunting inflatable

Default Looking for hunting inflatable

Looking for advice on inflatable:

Here are my requirements

Load on supercub want the lightest possible set up that still falls in the below requirements.
    Use on sloughs and rivers
    Ability to add small motor
    But still able to row.
    Haul two men, two weeks of gear.
    Ability to haul moose quarters.
    Tough as hell

Is there such a thing? If so do you have personal experience with it?

Default Close

Intersting. P.M me food for thought. Just might be something in the works that meets your needs.

Default Grabner

You might have a look at Grabner...

-Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Pristine Ventures

Might want to check out the raft/canoe that Mr. Bartlett diplayed in the thread how to load a moose on the pristine ventures website. shows it fully loaded, loaded with a moose and pretty cool looking.....

Default The problem is...

Quote Originally Posted by Goody View Post
    Might want to check out the raft/canoe that Mr. Bartlett diplayed in the thread how to load a moose on the pristine ventures website. shows it fully loaded, loaded with a moose and pretty cool looking.....
    It doesn't meet his outboard requirement though...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Good catch!

Mike, great catch and I stand corrected. Sorry most likely not something that'll fit his needs.

Default How about the AIRE Power Traveler

The AIRE Power Traveler might work. You can row and put a motor on it although it might be a bit tight on space for two people, gear, and a moose. Just a thought. Talk to Tracey at AR&K.

Default Sounds like you're describing the 390TDS Sportsman

Quote Originally Posted by moosedrool View Post
    Looking for advice on inflatable:

Here are my requirements

Load on supercub want the lightest possible set up that still falls in the below requirements.
    Use on sloughs and rivers
    Ability to add small motor
    But still able to row.
    Haul two men, two weeks of gear.
    Ability to haul moose quarters.
    Tough as hell

Is there such a thing? If so do you have personal experience with it?

I designed the 390TDS Sportsman to fit the exact need you're describing.

It weights a total of 90 pounds and can be split into a 70 pound and 30 pound package
    It will easily fit into a Supercub
    It will haul 1500 pounds without breathing hard
    It comes with a motor mount that will take a 6HP long shaft, with a 21" transom height
    It has 10 D-rings and 5 lift handles.
    It has a 4000 Denier bottom and a drop stitch air floor
    The bottom of the tubes has a full wrap of double fabric.
    Comes with a pump and bag

At $1612.50 it's a strong contender in the fly in inflatable float hunting catagory.

Good Boating

Jim King

Alaska Series Inflatable Boats,
    Commercial quality at Wholesale prices
    River Rafts, Catarafts, Inflatable Kayaks, Inflatable Canoes, Inflatable Sport Boats, Inflatable Jet Boats, Tenders and Dinghies.
    WWW.alaskaseries.com
    (907)248-2900

Default Sounds like you're describing the 390TDS Sportsman

Does this boat come with self bailing floor? Also, what lenght is it? Sounds interesting. Thanks.

Mike,

The Grabner is too small for what I am looking for, thanks though.

Goody,

Thanks for the pro pioneer tip, I found they actually do make an outboard motor attachment for it, so this one making the short list.

Jack,

Like the Aire, its on the list also.

Jim,

I will be giving you a call next week.

Any other's, any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Default question

If your floating, why you need a motor? The pro pioneer is a great craft

Terry

Default Motors and self bailing rafts

Quote Originally Posted by jackfrost1@gci.net View Post
    Does this boat come with self bailing floor? Also, what length is it? Sounds interesting. Thanks.
    The 390SB and 390SB special would be self bailing versions of 390TDS sportsman. The self bailing raft versions also have 29" of kick in the bow and stern with 19" tubes. All 3 of these rafts are 13' long and 6' wide with simular bow designs.

The 390TDS sportsman has 18" diameter tubes and no kick in the stern. Both these design features are to keep the motor mount height in the correct range to work well with a small outboard with a long shaft (20”)

The 390TDS Sportsman, with its bathtub bottom and fitted drop-stitch air mat floor design has a much higher load capacity then a self bailing raft design (with an air floor and drain holes). To get the same load capacity in a self bailing raft you need to go to the next size bigger raft. A bigger raft means heaver and bulkier.

The reason for this is, because with heavy loads the water level raises through the bailing holes in the bottom of a self bailing raft. If the load in the raft is enough to raise the water level above the self bailing floor, the raft becomes very difficult to row.

Using an outboard motor on a raft adds another dynamic. When your raft is under power you now have the force of the water pushing on the bottom of the raft. This water pressure will push up through the holes in a self bailing floor and enter into the raft. The more forward speed, the bigger the water problem inside the self bailing raft. There are ways to deal with this water, but with the bathtub floor design of the 390TDS Sportsman this problem is not an issue.

As in most boats, everything is a compromise. The trick is to find the raft what fits your needs the best. There is no doubt that self bailing rafts do row better then a bathtub bottom raft. This is because the air floor of the self bailing raft breaks the suction on the water. But self bailing rafts do weight more and fold bigger then a bathtub floor raft.
    Part of the criteria of this thread was light weight and to folded small enough to fit into a Super Cub, Yet big enough to float 2 guys, camping gear and a moose. That’s about 1500 pounds. A 13’ long X 6’ wide bathtub floor raft with 18” tubes is about as small of a boat you can get by with to fit that need.

There are always those people that stretch the limits. Max at Alaska Canoe Campground has had a yellow 390SB Special in his rental fleet for about 10 years. He told me he has floated a moose and camping gear in his boat and the water level was almost to the top of the floor. That’s a heavy loaded raft!

Here is picture of a friend that has a 390SB with an over the stern style motor mount. This Raft has a 29” stern kick. Take a close look at the way the motor is rigged up. Even with the top of the transom below the top of the tube. His long shaft motor is barely in the water and the cavitation fin is a long ways out of the water. Keep in mind most outboards use water intake to cool the motor and those water intakes are just below the cavation fin. If you have a transom design that is too high for the motor to properly reach the water you risk burning up your motor.

I hope all this helps.

Good Boating

Jim King

Alaska Series Inflatable Boats,
    Commercial quality at Wholesale prices
    River Rafts, Catarafts, Inflatable Kayaks, Inflatable Canoes, Inflatable Sport Boats, Inflatable Jet Boats, Tenders and Dinghies.
    WWW.alaskaseries.com
    (907)248-2900

Default reason for motor

Moose hunting on the Yukon sloughs, a motor gives me the ability to move a long distance if needed and makes life easier with a moose on board, I want the canoe portion for float trips down rivers.

SOAR does make a motor mount for a the Pro Pioneer, but I have no expieriance with it yet. I have used the Pro Pioneer for one float hunt in AK and many down here in MO/KS and it has worked fantastic for me. The only thing that would make it better would be an outboard and hopefull I'll get that done soon.

Default 390TDS sportsman

Jim- Thanks for the information on the 390TDS sportsman.

Default Raft

Craigs list yesterday had a 12' 8" raft will work for $850 should meet your needs for a entry level raft on a budget

I saw the 12'8" raft, but I didn't think it was much of a bargain at $850 for a small tub floor boat. By the time you add a frame and three oars, you're up to $1600. Craig's List has had better deals with fully outfitted boats of higher quality in this price range. Also some dealers are willing to offer very good prices right now on demo and even new boats.

It's pretty tough selling right now. No one's in the buying mood before Christmas, so that makes it a good time to do your dealing. Same thing with drysuits, oars, frames, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by moosedrool View Post
    Moose hunting on the Yukon sloughs, a motor gives me the ability to move a long distance if needed and makes life easier with a moose on board, I want the canoe portion for float trips down rivers.
    After reading through this thread most of the boats I see listed are not inflatable canoes, isn't this what you are looking for? If so, the are not a lot of inflatable canoe choices that can use a motor. Don't mean to sidetrack the thread but just thought i'd throw that out there.

Yes, want to use motor, any you are right I am limiting my choices, but that is what I want. Still looking for some more options.

Are looking for an inflatable canoe or just any inflatable?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast