Thread: Salmon Roe Question...

Default Salmon Roe Question...

Okay, I have all of the Roe cured and cut into bait size chunks...but now how do I store this stuff to last a season or two? I probably have 200 chunks, and would like to keep it until I can use it next year. Last year I used the food saver, but I am not sure that will work now that I have it chunked up.

Any ideas?
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Default Roe

I have never done this in chunks, but I dont see why this wouldnt work.

What I do is cure the roe, then wrap it real good in cellophane, and then seal it in the food saver, it doesnt make a mess, it doesnt stink up the freezer and it looks the same as the day I put it in the freezer the next season when I use it.

you may want to remember to poke a hole or two in your bag before you thaw it out, its been known to crush them.

Default Salmon Egss

You could also pack them into Jars mixed with borax for storage in the freezer.

Default Containers

Plastic bags do ok and get the job done, but I dont use them anymore. I use the cheapest tubberware containers I can find. WalMart sells the flimsy throw away kind at a decent price. This way I can stack them inside the freezer and they will last a long time. One time I used a mason jar, which worked out very well but it would be expensive to store up a couple hundred pieces in them.

Quote Originally Posted by northriver21
    I have never done this in chunks, but I dont see why this wouldnt work.

What I do is cure the roe, then wrap it real good in cellophane, and then seal it in the food saver, it doesnt make a mess, it doesnt stink up the freezer and it looks the same as the day I put it in the freezer the next season when I use it.
    I agree, this exactly how I do it, except I do cut mine in bite sized chunks and it works great. Freezing it doesn't hurt it a bit.