Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok, Now They Are In My Backyard

Default Ok, Now They Are In My Backyard

Beagles (THE BEAR CHASERS) would not go out yesterday morning, they peed on the corner of the porch and ran back inside. Really got the wife mad. Then I took my snow machine out for a test ride on the new snow to the Chena Lakes Rec area. Saw tracks on the pipeline before I got to Chena Lakes, knew they were wolf. But there had been too much traffic on the pipeline to tell how many animals there was. Then when I got to the flood plain saw the tracks of a small pack. Two large animals and three younger ones.

No kids came to my house for Trick or Treat last night, wonder why?

Wolves kill, eat pet dog in North Pole subdivision

<Copyrighted story removed by Webmaster. Copying stories from other web publications is easy, but it is usually illegal and it is a liability for us. See our Forum FAQ on this. To read the article please follow the link above.>
    Last edited by Webmaster; 11-10-2007 at 17:57.

I think its awesome that there is wildness left.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Just wait until you have kids AKPM.

dont worry ladies, i'm gonna kill them!!! soon!!!

Sounds like I need to come to the area and do some hunting!

That's a sad story and I'd have to do some tracking to ensure I did one more good dead for my lost dog. I'd spend some quality hours trying to locate the pack and eliminate them before something else happens.

Kinda sad...but goes with the territory. I have several dogs and pretty much always have since a young child. We have lost several dogs in our "neighborhood" over the years. Usually about all you find is some paws, maybe the tip of the tail...and the collar.

Default Most likely a stupid question

Never hunted wolves but would assume they are nocturnal like a coyote. What is the best way to hunt them and does the law allow any type of baiting or the use of electronic game calls?

Since I won't make it home until late November, they will be one of the few animals that I can hunt and it sounds like someone needs to.......

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default best method

The best way to hunt wolves is to fly by them and shoot them with a shotgun- which is legal as long as you are a permitted pilot or gunner in certain GMUs.

Default Sounds interesting....

Do I have a pilot ready to fly in December? Just let me know the cost per hour and how it works!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I think its awesome that there is wildness left.
    Quote Originally Posted by weasel View Post
    dont worry ladies, i'm gonna kill them!!! soon!!!
    Isn't this the point where the standard post-by-post analysis of outdoorsman morality comes to play?

We're not going to wait until Page 2, are we?

Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    Beagles (THE BEAR CHASERS) would not go out yesterday morning, they peed on the corner of the porch and ran back inside.
    I can picture that scene. We have two beagles who like to talk tough until they are face to face with the big dogs. How are yours around bears? Some North Pole trappers should be having fun with those wolves. Too bad those folks lost their dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Isn't this the point where the standard post-by-post analysis of outdoorsman morality comes to play?

No, this is the part where the skull crushingly dull, micro-analysis multi-quoting of posts starts.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    Originally Posted by Mark

No, this is the part where the skull crushingly dull, micro-analysis multi-quoting of posts starts.
    Is that a quote?

just another reason for you to keep your dogs in a fenced yard... Aside from keeping them from using the neihbors lawn as a toilet...

I still think its cool that there are wolves so close to the city that people rarely see... Way cool.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

There's a bunch in the lower yukon, can't wait until there's more snow on the ground.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Is that a quote?
    Why yes it is. That's part of forum SOP. Same as when we get about 10-15 posts into any thread the OP's original intent is lost and we all get on our soap boxes and start dissecting the nuances of previous posts while simultaneously attempting to divert our puke away from the keyboard after reading AKPM posted feces.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    ......State wildlife biologists Don Young and Tom Seaton drove to North Pole to inspect the kill site at first light. They estimated there were five wolves in the pack and it doesn’t appear the killing was premeditated, Young said.......
    So it wasn't murder, it was 1st degree dogicide.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    Originally Posted by Mark
    Is that a quote?
    Why yes it is. That's part of forum SOP. Same as when we get about 10-15 posts into any thread the OP's original intent is lost and we all get on our soap boxes and start dissecting the nuances of previous posts while simultaneously attempting to divert our puke away from the keyboard after reading AKPM posted feces.
    Ten to fifteen posts..............So, well before page 2.

I was right:

....We're not going to wait until Page 2, are we?...
    Can wolves jump over fences?

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    just another reason for you to keep your dogs in a fenced yard... Aside from keeping them from using the neihbors lawn as a toilet...

I still think its cool that there are wolves so close to the city that people rarely see... Way cool.
    Maybe someone could shoot the wolves and give AKPM a chance to see them close up....that would be " WAY COOL "....

Quote Originally Posted by Goody View Post
    Do I have a pilot ready to fly in December? Just let me know the cost per hour and how it works!
    Here ya go, Goody... read the link at the bottom of the page and go get 'em Slugger.

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...gulations.main

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast