Thread: Which gun/rifle combo will you take Hunting?

Default Which gun/rifle combo will you take Hunting?

For the Fall Hunting Season I am considering either and or the Kimber 84M in .308 or Winchester M70 SS .30-06. A S&W .44 Mag, Taurus Pump .22 and a Remington Pump 870 .410 as a combo for this season. What say you for a 3-4 gun battery in the Alaskan Wilderness!!! Providing that you are able to haul it all on your hunt.

I don't know what you are hunting but I'd take the Win M70 30.06, dump the
    .44, as extra weight, take the .22 and dump the .410. Ptarmigan can be stalked and shot on the ground. If you want to flush them, then dump the .22 and take the .410 to shoot on the wing. Heck, if you can head shoot the ptarmigan with the 30.06, that would be the only gun you actually need.

Default Which....

Oh, thanks I was just getting this started to allow us to see what others will be putting together as a 3-4 gun/rifle battery this season! THANKS!

Default gun choices...

Respectfully Rufus, I'd pass on those choices unless you actually live here and would have access to a variety of weapons throughout the season. Even then, I'd opt for an all-rounder and take a magnum caliber like a 300 or 338 win mag and pass on all the small stuff. Especially if you plan on multi-species hunting.
    If you are a small game hunter and also need 'in your face' bear protection, take the shotgun in 12 gauge with a box of slugs for good measure.
    Unless you are a hardcore grouse hunter, The .410, the .22 are just extra weight and space. My .02. Good Hunting!
    fk

I sure like having 2 or 3 different guns in the boat/truck, or whatever I'm hunting from. Alot of good moose country has at least 2 species of grouse, sometimes even ptarmigan. I'd probably opt for a shotgun bigger than 410, but I know others who use that bore. Really like having a 22 along. Some places you'd want the shotgun for any waterfowl opportunities that may arise.
    I just HATE hunting for one species and NOT having the gun for another when it's sitting right there in front of you!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Which....

I'll take when on the boat the 06 and a .44. But I was really wondering what you all will be taking on "your own hunt" and your own 2-3 gun battery. Alaska is vast as are the combo's we all choose to use and take. Good Luck Hunting everyone and may you all fill your tags and freezer.

Well, shoot. My 3-4 gun battery for Alaska is a Mauser 3000 .375 H&H, a Mauser 3000 7mm Rem Mag, an High Standard .22 pistol and a 12 ga Rem 870 pump. Although I have other eweapons they have pretty much stayed in the safe except for range time and these are my Alaska choices. However, I just bought a 8mm Rem Mag and don't know yet where that is going to fit in. But I still generally only take a single weapon on a hunt.

Default my "battery"

I take an old Remington 721 in 30.06 and a hunting slingshot. I have killed many a rabbit and grouse with this slingshot. I shoot marbles out of it which are considerably bigger than those little steel shot and have more weight which is better for dispatching an animal.

Biggest benefit is that it is very quiet. I can be walking my hunting area and come across a flock of birds, take a couple out and keep hunting with minimal noise disturbance. A .22 is nice, but it will spook anything within 200 yds., even in dense woods.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I will be using my model 70 375 H&H for moose and any available rocks for ptarmigan and grouse.

Default Never took more than one gun hunting

A solid 300 WM or a 338WM is the only thing I'll be packin later this fall, and a 270 win for my sheep hunt next month. Head shots on grouse and ptarmigan are doable if neccessary but I dont often shoot too many birds specifically while big game hunting, I save that for winter sports with my kid. Didn't know guys hauled so many guns with them in the field.

I'll probably just use my ultimate shadow in 300wsm.

I usually tend to use one of several rifles depending on where I will be hunting and what I'm hunting for. The 45/70 guide gun for camp protection and close range hunting like baited bears and tracking, a 375 for brown bear and moose at normal ranges, and a 338 RUM for long range work. I doubt I will get in any sheep or goat hunting this year but a lightweight 30/06 usually accompanies me when travel is more vertical in nature. Lately the idea of one fairly lightweight 300 mag would probably work for 90% of my hunting.

I'll be using my 300 WSM for my Tok sheep hunt this fall, and hopefully get a crack at a bear. And for everything else, I'll either use my 358 Norma, 338 Win. Mag. or my 375 H&H.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

As always either my Ruger Blackhawk in either 41 magnum or 45 Colt. For small game my Ruger 10/22. For big game my Encore with 2 barrels, 257 STW and 500 S&W.

Default My combo

My main weapon in the fall is my Ruger M77 30.06 with a synthetic stock and stainless barrel. I have a Ruger M77 with a wood stock and blued barrel I take as a back-up gun on my deer trips. It's chambered in a 250-3000 or 250 Savage. For grouse and ptarmigan hunting I have a mossburg pump chambered in .410. I also have a couple ruger 10/22's (one stainless and laminated stock, one wood and blued) that I hunt small game with. As far as a pistol, I sometimes pack a ruger single six that shoots either .22 long rifle, or .22 mag. When I pack it big game hunting, I load it in the .22 mag with birdshot which I use on grouse I see. When I don't have it with me I just pop their heads with the .06.

If I add anything to this combo, it's my Lyman cap-lock muzzleloader in 50 caliber. I enjoy hunting with it.

Smile

Looks like I have four hunts to go on this season so my two main hunting firearms of choice will be my 338 win mag ultra light ( 45-70 Marlin Guide gun is back up ) , 500 S&W and my Mathews Switchback XT .
    My 500 S&W is my main firearm and my rifles are back up .

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif