Thread: Marten boxes

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

Default Marten boxes

I Am going to do some marten trapping this winter and i was wondering if anyone knows of a premade marten box. I have made them in the past but it would be nice just to find something fairly cheap and just go buy them. This is my first post kinda new to the computer thing and just found this forum. Hope everyone has a great trapping year!!!!!

Get a copy of Trapper & Predator Caller magazine. There is a company that advertises their plastic martin boxes. The boxes look suspiciously like newspaper boxes. Might even try speaking to the local newspaper office they might have a source for you.

Mac

I remember seeing somewhere that a company was selling premodified newspaper boxes, I think it was in trapper and predator caller. I haven't heard of anywhere in AK selling premanufactured boxes but there may be.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

My friends and i have been using the medium sized black "grower pots" from Lowes or Home Depot. This time of year you may have to go outside and look under thier tarps to find them. Just drill two holes about 2 inches or so from the top 180 deg apart and then cut a 1/8 wide slot from the holes to the top of the pot (open end) you can then fit a 120 into the open end of the grower pot and the holes will hold the springs in place. Nail the pot inverted to the tree or post of your choosing and bait with what ever. Secure the trap to the tree or post and NOT to the pot, as it is plastic and will not support the weight of a thrashing martin. These are very inexpensive, stack well for transport, and essentialy disposable if damaged. I personaly make a point of removing all of mine at the end of the season, but know guys who leave them out all year and use the same ones over and over. These will also work with a 110 but its seems to work best it you replace the non-spring side rivit with one of those expanding drywall screw anchors. That way, you end up with a pointy spike sticking off of the trap that you can insert into a small hole in the pot to support the weight of the trap.

Good luck

Default Flower Pots

I use them for my verticle pole/tree sets with good success. No need to build boxes and they are stackable and easy to carry. Cheap if you order them online too!!!

Check out Trapperman.com, you find a ton of information on marten trapping in the Wilderness Trapping and Living Forum.

Arctic Hunter (aka Arctic Trapper on the Trapperman.com forum)

http://www.continentalproducts.com

They sell newspaper boxes.

Thanks everyone i have bought a med, pot from low's a 120 con, works great. i cut the slots. I think i like it. i have a small plane on skes and they stack perfectly. Now all i need is it to get cold and some snow.....

Default good site

http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/index...rapping.marten

good article about newspaper boxes for marten.
    hunter

Very interesting artical ill haft to check into news paper box also..

Matsu, maybe you have checked trapperman already, if not I will give you another tidbit to send you that way- One prominent marten guru over there found a certain size of plastic pot that had a sort of groove around the top edge that was perfect for the jaws of a conibear 120 to snap into. This eliminated the need for a separate trap holder/stabilizer.
    I have not tried this myself, but the method has a loyal following over there, so is pretty well field tested.
    For me, I have used wire mesh cubbies assembled with rabbit cage clips. They are collapsible and unbreakable, and can be secured any number of ways with wire. I have not used these on marten, but for mink they have worked great. I have a "proof of concept" model sized for beaver and otter ready for initial testing this year too- PM if you want more details.

PS 3 days til trapping season HH

A member selling newspaper boxes for $3 in the Valley - http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=20867
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

AK mud
    I got ahold of the guy that sells news paper boxes.
    Im going to pick up 30 tomarrow thanks for the infow.