Thread: skeet shooting info please

Default skeet shooting info please

I used to shoot comp skeet in the lower 48 but have been out of the shooting loop for about 17 years. I have been an avid shooter up untill that point so much so that i have all 4 gauges of reloaders and a nice Browing Citori over under 4 barrel set. Im looking to get back into skeet shooting and was wondering what are the charges for a round anymore and where are the best options to purchase powder, wads, shot, primer, etc etc. I do live on the west side of town and was curious about the rabbit creek range and thier times and prices. Im not worried about the cold or the weather just wanting to bet back in the saddle and shoot and introduce my wife to the sport with the 20ga and the 28ga. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I'm not real familiar with Rabbit Creek, but I know that the Birchwood range has a lot of very nice trap and skeet ranges as well as a clays range. They are accessible throughout the week. I can't remember exactly, but it seems they charged about $5 per round.

All your reloading components are available locally through the various gun shops, sportsman's warehouse, and they even sell some stuff at the Birchwood club house.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default The other options is...

to go over to the Ft. Richardson range. You have to register your weapon with the MPs but that's a minor thing. They have punch cards for your rounds and league shooting like at Birchwood. For an Anchorage westsider its also about 20+ minutes closer. There are good fields, machines and people out there. Welcome back to the shooting world.

Yours,

IceKing02

Thanks guys i used to shoot at ft rich back from 78-83. I was hoping they were still around. Im gonna head out this weekend and check the ranges out and meet some folks and watch some rounds being shot. I need to get the visual again before i step up to a station and totally go for about 9 out of 25.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I shot at Fort Richardson a couple of years ago. The shooting fees were cheaper on Ft. Rich (I hope that's still the case), and if you join a league, you can get a pass for entering the base. It's a nice facility, and shooting under the lights in the winter was something new for me. Kind of fun, actually.

As for reloading. I bet you can still save some money reloading sub-gauge ammo, but shot prices are so high right now that loading 12ga ammo might not be worth it. You can get a case of shells for less than $5 a box. I am not sure you can load them for that anymore.