Thread: Ruger No.1's

Default Ruger No.1's

I've always wanted to own a "Gentleman's piece", but have never considered one until now.

Who here has one & what do you think of them?

I like the looks of the new 9.3x74R chambering , it looks to be a very well proportioned rig(I'm yet to read a bad word regarding this combo from new 9.3x74/No.1 owners).

Will also look at the great 375H&H! I have always wanted this cal, but never gotten around to owning one as yet.

Also seems like the new No.1 in = 450/450 NE 3" is getting a far amount of interest from No.1 nuts .

Yukon Canada

Default saftey

Had one in 45/70 best balanced rifle I ever owned, just passed on buying one used in 375. Only complaint I have with them is the safety, hunting alone in thick bush I at first carried a shell in the chamber only to find to many times a branch had moved the safety to the fire position without my knowing it.

Default Number 1

The Ruger No.1's are great! I've had them in 30-06, 375 H&H, 25-06 and .458 Lott. Have you seen the 6.5 Swede and .35 Whelens in stainless and walnut? Very pretty rifles. PM me for more info. SEMike

I just sold a Ruger #1 in 300WBY mag and it was a very good shooter right out of the box. Now a Ruger #1 in a big cartridge like 300WBY and up will kick you real hard. Here is how it shot.

The small hole off by itself was from a small cal. rifle.

Upstate New York

Thumbs up No. 1

I've hunted with a No. 1 RSI (the full-stock version) in .30-06 for about 10 years now. I've shot 150, 165 and 180 grain loads, and the gun drives tacks with anything I've fed it. I haven't hunted with it in Alaska, but it has served as a dependable rifle that I have had nothing but complete confidence in while hunting in the lower 48. It has a short (20 in.) barrel, which I've received criticism for by certain family members who think that the short barrel would make it "kick like a mule." But honestly, I bought the gun when I was 16, I'll be 26 in December, and the recoil has never bothered me one bit (although I know it's all relative). I actually like the shorter barrel because it is somewhat more compact than a full-sized rifle and yet very well balanced. The gun has always kept up its side of the bargain when I've kept up mine, and is certainly a favorite. I also like the sliding tang safety very much.

My father also hunts with a No.1-A in .270 and loves it to death. He's been accused of being arrogant (jokingly) for hunting with a single shot, but I believe him when he says that knowing you really only have "one shot" allows you to focus more on making the best shot you can rather than slinging lead. He has had some vision problems in recent years which has forced him to switch from shooting right handed to now shooting left handed, but prior to that, I've never seen a better shot and a better deer hunter.

I'm not familiar with the caliber you mentioned but I can't say enough about the rifle. While I'm not an expert on hunting in Alaska by any stretch, I will say that the No. 1 has a very dependable action, but personally I might have some reservations about hunting with a single shot in an area where I might run into something mean with claws and teeth... but in any event, good luck- it sounds like you have a nice decision to make!

Default Got two...for now

Well, I'd like to keep 'em both, a .450-400 3" which I bought on impulse and a .458 Win. which I bought after much thought. I'm thinking the .450-400 has to go even though it is a sweet "little" (for a Tropical version) rifle. I'll get much more use out of the .458 which I plan on keeping for life. Just don't have enough discretionary income to justify a rifle with $75 on up ammo and expensive dies.

It really is a great cartridge but the .458 was more economical to shoot. As far as recoil, I've heard much talk from gun writers and pundints that the No. 1 is worse than most bolt action rifles for recoil. Well, my .458 doesn't seem any worse than the .416 Mod. 70 I used to own. I dunno, it just doesn't seem that bad. In fact, I sorta like the violence it does dish out and would be disappointed if it were more tame! Part of the fun with big bores in my opinion.

The .458 has a noticeably larger barrel dia. (and obviously bore dia. too!) than the .450-400, which makes the smaller bore rifle seem almost svelt in the hands. Both are great and I too really like the 9.3X74 version as well as the .45-70. Sure wish I could keep the Nitro Express!

I'm a lefty, so they've been on my radar and in my gun safe for well over 30 years. As I can recall without digging I'm down to six (22-250, 243, 7x57, 338, 375 H&H and 458 Win), the least I've probably owned in twenty years.

I've got to say that it's a tossup between the 375 and 458 for which is the best all-time cast bullet gun- better than any other gun I've shot, and I've shot cast bullets through lots.

The 243 has a very long throat, allowing me to seat the Speer 105 grain spitzer all the way out with the base of the bullet at the base of the neck. I won't even consider posting the loads of slow burning powder it will swallow. But I will tell you that in combo with the 26" barrel the extra powder capacity allows me to match the velocities I used to get with a 240 Weatherby while still getting long case life.

My 7x57 is without a doubt the best handling offhand gun I've ever owned. I'd have taken home a lot of plated plastic and cheap hardwood from silhouette matches if single shots had been allowed. It started life as an International model with a 20" barrel and mannlicher forend. The forend split within a matter of weeks, and when I sent it back to Ruger I asked them to install an Alexander Henry forend instead. It's a couple of inches shorter than a Model 94 Winnie and better balanced for fast shooting. Anyone who shoulders it moans with delight.

There are lots of tricks for accurizing and fine tuning which a hobby gunsmith can take on effectively. I've got my eye on a used one in 06, but the price is still floating a little high. If I needed an 06 it would already be on my rack, but I've got a rebarreling project in mind, so I don't want to pay much. That's another thing the #1 does well.

I've always wanted one but never got around to buying one... yet.

If you get the 9.3X74, you're setting yourself up for getting a double rifle

Aint that the truth! I've had a couple of opportunities to shoot 9.3x74 doubles, and SWEET doesn't even come close. All seemed to have about half the recoil of my 375 bolt, but there was no shortage of whack when the bullets landed. And you talk about a fast follow up shot!

A 9.3 double would be my first choice in Alaskan stopper guns if money was no object. But if money was no object I wouldn't be driving a POS 1992 Dodge Dakota lemon.

Anchorage, Alaska

I wanted one since I was a kid and finally picked a 375 H&H up a year and a half ago on Fathers Day. It is a great handling rifle and shoots better than I do. The recoil is not bad at all no matter what loads I am using. It does have a Limbsaver recoil pad, aftermarket trigger, Warne WD rings, and a Leupold 3x9. It is quickly becoming my go anywhere at anytime rifle.

Eagle River

Default Balance

I have had two; one in .300 Win Mag and the one I still have which is in .45-70. It wears the New England Custom Guns peep/front sight combination and is MY favorite in terms of balance/handling,power, and portabilty when compared to all the others(all rifles I own).
    I have found that with practice and a good belt ammo carrier I am able to match or beat most guys shooting bolts(most suck in technique). Levers and Autos still usually have the advantage but sometimes I am faster if the shooter isn't up to speed with their chosen weapon.
    I ALWAYS carry a back-up pistol, usually my Freedom Arms M93 in .454 Casull. I have always felt that I was fully prepared for what I might face here in Alaska.