Thread: Getting into Halibut cove

Question Getting into Halibut cove

Can anyone give me some information into getting into the actual cove at Halibut cove (vice the town)? Iím going to be renting the cabins there next summer and am trying to figure the tides. The online instructions warn that the cabins can only be accessed at high tide, but that of course covers a lot of ambiguity on how high is high. The charts show the entrance is dry at low, low water, but how much of a tide is required to start getting water over the bar? Once I figure how much tide is needed to get any water on it I can adjust depending on draft.
    Thanks,
    Dave

There are two ways to get in one way is only by high tide and the other you can come in anytime. This way you would come in another cove I forgot it's name but you would hit the mocha and restaurant first.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Its time for someone to write another book like "the Prince William Sound Cruising guide" for the rest of the areas we mess around in.

I assume you're talking about the lagoon. I've been there a dozen times and it seems you can fairly safely navigate the channel at high tide plus or minus 3 hours. I wouldn't push it any further than that. Because of how narrow the channel is and the volume of water coming in and out, the water moves pretty swiftly when the tide is changing. Its also pretty shallow. Hug the righthand side of the channel well into the lagoon. There's a couple sandbars just inside the lagoon where you wouldn't necessarily expect them to be, so take a good chart.

Default Thanks all

Sorry to mislead, I do mean the Lagoon. Any Idea of how high a high tide I need to stay within 3 hours of? Pretty big fluctuation depending on time frame.

Charterboat Operator

Any part of the flood you can get in there, just idle in along with the tide,
    as bufalob stated work your way to the right bank and stay fairly close. fiberglass or aluminum? if you are running aluminum no worries, there are not alot of rocks there that will do any major damage, mostly just gravel

Quote Originally Posted by Daveintheburbs View Post
    Sorry to mislead, I do mean the Lagoon. Any Idea of how high a high tide I need to stay within 3 hours of? Pretty big fluctuation depending on time frame.

Depends on your draft.....I have missed the tide a few times (missed getting out one day by 50 yards) and had to have some mandatory nap time waiting for the tide to return. But I have grounded there, China Poot and Tutka Lagoon a few times. Tutka is the worst because you have some hard bottom and rocks to watch for.

I have made the run in some where between tides with my North River without issues and I have a freind who does it with his Woolridge(who also grounds on a regular basis). The nice thing is you can walk the channel before your run to figure out the channel at low tide. If you mess up, depending where you get stuck it takes about 3 to 4 hours to get going again.

Mostly gravel and sand so no big worries if you mess up. The water does RIP thru the narrow upper channel and this is where there are a few bigger rocks on shore.

You need to go wide of the Island coming in but not to far before you start in towards the Lagoon, once above the Island and inside the entrance you need to be hugging the right shore along the rocks. Once above those come out at about your 11 o'clock for the cabins on the backside of the Lagoon.

They also have some nice camp sites setup with no mosquitos.