Thread: Claming in PWS?

Default Claming in PWS?

Wondering if anyone has found a good place to clam in PSW, out of Whittier, and what species is any?
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

I don't think there's much in the way of clamming in western PWS. It may have something to do with the lack of good beaches. Mostly too steep and rocky. But the shrimping is good...
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

maybe sand/mud flats near glaciers?? Go find out...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default eastern side...

I've never tried in western PWS...as it was mentioned previously, most of the beaches are too rocky or steep. But...look around during low (minus) tides. I have done well on the eastern side of the Sound. Simpson Bay has some beaches where we've gotten plenty of clams (littlenecks/steamers, we call them) which are very shallow...no more than a few inches below the surface. You don't even need a shovel...a hand rake works better. Those beaches were relatively flat with small rocks and sand.

Default empty shells

On knight Is. I found a bunch of shells from nice size butter clams in a protected cove. However, I dug around at low tide and could only find very small clams.
    After this outing, I now keep a clam shovel on board and am still searching for a place to dig.
    BK

Default A Hit!

Wow, I actually got some hits. Weíll be prospecting area this summer as we formularize ourselves with PWS, Iím sure there out there somewhere.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Is there any PSP in the sound?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Paralytic shellfish poisoning

I understand that PSP can come and go at anytime and show up anywhere. Butter clams will soak it up and hold it longer than most of the other clams.

Default Deep Water Bay!!!!

Earlier last spring, during low tide, the beaches were covered with clam holes, so we dug down with our clam shovels and came up with clams that looked similar to razor clams, but they were all white. I looked them up on the internet, I think they were call soft shelled clams. We brought some home and cooked them up, they were a bit gritty, but tasted okay.

Of course, during any low tide, the rocks are covered with mussels as well, just have to pick out the big ones.

I too am still looking for the little necks out here.

AH

Default PSP in PWS

You guys just need to be careful of PSP - i dont believe its tested on any beaches in PWS (maybe some of the Cordova area Razor Clam spots are i dont know)

It could be too late for help if you get it in your system while your out there having fun. Mussels hold the toxin for a very long time, and I have heard that butter clams can take up to 2 years to rid thier system of it. Rare to get sick, but life threatening if you do.

We found butter clams and lots of them, only drawback is you have to go out a long ways to score. Dug these with our bare hands in about an hour or so, good eating. Read up on PSP and wife decided to be the tester, eat about 5 one night, no tingling of the lips. Had for dinner the fallowing night after they had a chance to wash out, some goooood eating. We keep a couple of little hand rakes on the boat now.
    Had to swear not to tell location, the dog house isnít big enough for two. After finding these we discovered a lot of lagoons have same.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.