Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold weather and bow performance

Default Cold weather and bow performance

How will freezing temperatures affect bow performance/accuracy. Should I consider re-sighting the bow in colder temps? Will the limbs be less responsive...less energy....more drop over distance?

I have seen no point of impact change at colder temperatures because of the bow or arrow. I have seen changes because of the Whisker Biscuit. The bristles don't freeze, but do stiffen up at about -30 and colder and provide more resistance. A friend fixed this by placing a hand warmer packet in the bristles while waiting for a shot then removing just prior to nocking an arrow.

In normal cold weather it shouldn't affect your bow. However if you have freezing rain and you have silencers on IE string leaches. I could build up on them and this will affect your shot.

Another thing that gets most people in cold weather is your extra clothing you wear. If you are not use to shooting with allot of clothing on you might learn real quick that a piece of your clothing catches you string.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I have had a drop away rest freeze in the up position in a snow storm. Made for some bad arrow flight. Solved the problem by just paying more attn. when in bad weather. Craig

Default As others have said...

the biggest thing to watch for is ice buildup on the equipment. I have found that the hardest time to hunt in the cold is when it is close to freezing. You may not realize it, but the limbs or arrows may warm up above freezing and then you set the bow down on/in/against the snow and the snow will freeze to the bow. This ice can cause problems. I have also looked down to find my arrows with blobs of ice on them from melted snow that refroze or from some other water source that froze. Just keep an eye on your equipment and make sure ice is not showing up on any critical components (i.e. anything that moves like the string, limbs, arrows, drop-away, etc...).

Default a different question same topic

Benelli,
    good question I have a question along the same lines. What about carbon arrows and cold tempatures? What is to cold for a carbon arrow? I dont want a arrow to shatter while I am taking a shot. That could get ugly real fast. If anyone could answer this it would be very helpful

Alaskan100

Default Below Zero weather...

You'll loose your limbsavers on your limbs should you bump them or if it's even colder still, they'll just fall off from the vibration of the limbs...had that happen to me @ the 3d shoots in Birchwood a coupla times...

Default Humm!

Gogoalie: Did you clean the limbs with alcohol first before instalation and warm the bow and Limb Savers to something like 70-75 degrees? Mine are solid and I shoot a lot in the cold.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Momma sadit it never urts to ask so....

I sent this to the people at Carbon Express to see their answer.

Dear Sirs: I help to moderate several forums and a question came up about carbon arrows and cold weather. I have Terminator Hunter Selects, Terminator Hunters and Rebels. Commonly in Alaska we hunt into the minus numbers. I was recently hunting moose at -5 degrees and will soon be at -35 degrees.

My question is: What can we expect from our carbon arrows up here in cold temperatures? Is there a cut-off temperature that we should consider not hunting with them? Might they just shatter at minus temoeratures?

Sincerely, Dave Armstrong

Dave I would be curious to hear what they say... I would suspect they would I would think the shafts would get stiffer.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default I will

I will post the reply for sure. Love asking questions.

Default Dave

My first set of limbsavers were preinstalled on the rig I bought, & then the second pair I put on I did use alcohol to wipe the limb with & it was in the summer time, & they fell off again...it was in the -10 to -teens when the fell off.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli View Post
    How will freezing temperatures affect bow performance/accuracy. Should I consider re-sighting the bow in colder temps? Will the limbs be less responsive...less energy....more drop over distance?
    Use bombproof Equipment,bisquit type rest, feathers instead of vanes which can get rock hard. WD 40 the cable rod, watch for ice/snow in your string peep, lube all pivot/pocket points as colder weather brings out every little noise that won"t be there in warmer weather. Some hunters shoot less poundage in cold weather, they find out that they are the one getting stiff as the temps bottom out.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Default Gogolie

Gogolie: If two limb Savers fell off it is time to trade up for a BowTech.

After reading Chuck Adam's book about hunting Polar Bear, he did say he left his bow outside at night instead of bringing it in to warm it up. Condensation is your enemy i guess...

Default Cold and Carbons

Here is the email I recieved back from Carbon Express concerning carbons and cold weather:

Dave,

The cold and freezing weather will not have an affect on your carbon arrows. Even at low temperatures like -35 your arrow will still fly the same as it would at 60 degrees. The only thing I would watch out for is if for some reason your arrow gets moisture on it and then it freezes. If there is a build of ice on your arrow then of course it will have an affect on the arrow flight. Overall you will not have to worry about cold temperatures with carbons and they will not shatter if it gets too cold. If you have any other questions please let me know and thanks for choosing Carbon Express.

Good Hunting,

Brian Wright

Customer Service, Tech Support

Carbon Express, Eastman Outdoors, Eastman Outfitters

Corporate Offices│ P.O. Box 380 │ Flushing, MI 48433

Default Thanks

I had heard some horor stories of shattering carbon going into arms. Probably just rumors. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Here is the email I recieved back from Carbon Express concerning carbons and cold weather:

Dave,

The cold and freezing weather will not have an affect on your carbon arrows. Even at low temperatures like -35 your arrow will still fly the same as it would at 60 degrees. The only thing I would watch out for is if for some reason your arrow gets moisture on it and then it freezes. If there is a build of ice on your arrow then of course it will have an affect on the arrow flight. Overall you will not have to worry about cold temperatures with carbons and they will not shatter if it gets too cold. If you have any other questions please let me know and thanks for choosing Carbon Express.

Good Hunting,

Brian Wright

Customer Service, Tech Support

Carbon Express, Eastman Outdoors, Eastman Outfitters

Corporate Offices│ P.O. Box 380 │ Flushing, MI 48433
    Bob

Become one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

Default Thanks Dave

Thanks Dave. I was really hoping that was the case. Although it has not gotten to cold yet. But with the way things are going I will only get a shot at a cow moose this year when its REALLY COLD. I was out this weekend and did not see a thing. Its like they vanished.
    But Thanks again Dave.

Alaskan100

Quote Originally Posted by ArcherBob View Post
    I had heard some horor stories of shattering carbon going into arms. Probably just rumors. Thanks again
    Not all of them are rumors !!!

RR

Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

That is SO not cool!! Any story behind that (i.e. happened because of cold...)? Wonder what happened to most of the arrow, cause its almost up to the fletching!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast