Thread: Is it worth it????

Default Is it worth it????

Hi

First post here and because this site sems to be one of the most knowlegable on ocean going bots, I thought I would post a question to all the others here.

We have been looking for an ocean going boat for a few years, just waiting for all the number to fall into place. They now have we have have found a boat we like. It will be used for the odd day+ trip, but mostly for just day trips as we live off the northern tip of Vancouver Island and have great fishing off our door step.

It is an 2006 Hewescraft 180 SeaRunner w/115 yammy and 8HT yammy. It was a fishing special and came factory w/ two electric downriggers, Garmin colour sounder/GPS, radio, cd player and complete canvas. It has a few other things like anchor, rope, crab and prawn traps and other things you would need to fish, other than teminal tackle. It is stored in the backyard and fresh water flushed after every use.

The boat has 55 hours on it and they are asking $27000 canadian for it. My questions are;
    Good Price??
    Good boat for fishing??? Not much is said about the smaller Searunners for day trip fishing or anything else.
    How is it to trailer?? I have an old Toyota with the 3.0l V6. or a 2005 chev 5.3l
    Any other things that you can add would be great.

I grew up fishing and have been a salmon guide off and on for a few years, using mostly Campion Explorers, Bayline Trophys and Boston Whalers, all at 21". This would be my first aluminum boat.

By the way this is a great site and there is lots of info here.

Thanks in advance

SD

Hmmm...not sure about the price as I haven't ever priced out what a searunner costs. I do know they are a very well made boat that is extremely popular. You also can't beat the fact that it comes already set up for fishing and it sounds like it has been well taken care of by the orevious owner. What caught my attention was the 115 hp motor. While I know it is like comparing apples to oranges, I have a 20 foot Bayrunner and it is only rated to maximum of 90 hp. Myself, I'm pretty partial to Bayrunners, but it seems I see more Searunners on the water than Bayrunners.

I have a few friends that have Sea-runners. They are great day boats, not too sure about over nighters. And it gets pretty cramped with more that three adults on board. As far as price goes, I was looking at a 20' sea runner with a 150 yam 2 stroke, and a 8hp yam kicker with all the bells and whistles for 37,500 so not to bad. I trailer a 30' sea sport so I would think that an 18' boat would trailer just fine. Good Luck

Here's some numbers that might help:
    new 2008 18ft searunner pkg with complete canvas, 90hp Yamaha 4/s, trailer,,etc. with misc supplies like anchor, rope, lifevests, etc = $25000
    8hp kicker ( tiller w/ elec. tilt )...............................................$ 2400
    elect. downriggers ( figure $500 ea ).....................................$ 1000
    Color GPS/Plotter........................................... ......................$ 1000
    VHS Radio ( decent one )................................................. .....$ 140
    Cd Player w/ speakers.......................................... ................$ 200
    Crap/shrimp pots ( $75- $100 ea ).........................................$ 175
    Total = $29,915

approx difference in price between 90Hp & 115hp : est. maybe $1500.

I own a 22ft Searunner w/ 115 yammy, and I'll agree with Tigerman1-- They're a great day boat if in smaller sizes-a bit cramped for comfort if overnighting; Hull is made with heavier alum on both the bottom & sides than a Bayrunner, taller sides too. Take nothing away from a Bayrunner, tho- they're good boats with a great track record, but a Sea Runner is a step up the quality ladder with more comfort amenities.
    Hope this helps.

As far as towing it, I have an 05' Canyon that I use to tow my boat. Its a 19' T-jet with a 175hp sportjet. The Canyon is rated to pull it and it does so better than my old truck. I get better fuel economy towing the boat than I ever got not pulling a trailer with my 92' Chevy with the 5.7L motor. I'd imagine you'd be alright with either of your vehicles.

Default probably a fair deal

SD,

Sounds like that is a fair price for that set up...heck the motors are barely broken in. If you haven't checked, you might look over some of the prices listed in Craigslist to get a better feel for the value range. Look at the Portland and Seattle area listings, they usually have several Hewscrafts at any given time. You'll have to do a currency conversion to compare apples to apples of course.

I think your current vehicles wouldn't have any problem trailering that boat.

Good luck!