Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metal Creek Trail

Default Metal Creek Trail

Mike Echo, I talked to DNR, the signs posted on the Metal Creek trail are legal, they just mean stay on the trail, not on the guys private property that is off the trail. The trail is a right-a-way, so it is ok to use. The fella has a right to post any signs he wants to on his property, he just cant close the trail is all. The signs do make it look like he is saying stay off the trail, which of course he cant do.

Are those the signs that were up at the beginning of the trail up to where the cabins were?
    Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

Yep, that would be them. Use the trail all you want, just do not veer off to the right once you get up there, the a-frame and associated property is off limits. Stay on the trail and not on private property.

Default The A-Frame is no more...

The owner did burn it. I haven't talked to him but I can't say that I blame him for a couple of reasons. First, in the shape it was in it presented a liability hazard for him. Second, some presumably well-meaning people had decided to fix it for him. I don't know if they spoke to him about it but if not, he may have thought that squatters were moving in. To quote DNR "he didn't want it to turn into a destination". I wonder now how many people thought or knew (or considered) that the cabins were on private property. Anyway, glad you got that cleared up for us Rockhound!
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

It is too bad though that half of the a-frame got shoved over the cliff by vandals.

So it's gone? I haven't been there since July. Part of the A frame got thrown over the cliff? The entire contents of the A frame were thrown over the cliff about 8 or 9 years ago. The high point of water next July should wash all the trash away like it did then. He's been fighting a losing battle to vandals for many years. One year he strung heavy duty one inch thick steel cables across the trail going up, he got a lot of people mad by trying to claim that trail as his. Someday he'll be able to sell that overpriced land for development, but not untill the valley is closed to all but hikers, horses, skiers and granola chewers.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    ....Someday he'll be able to sell that overpriced land for development, but not untill the valley is closed to all but hikers, horses, skiers and granola chewers.
    He had that land priced way too high. I knew it would never sell at that price.

Who would want it? It's far enough out to be a pain to get to, and close enough for the scumbags to vandalize.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    He had that land priced way too high. I knew it would never sell at that price.

Who would want it? It's far enough out to be a pain to get to, and close enough for the scumbags to vandalize.
    To buy it today you would need to live on it year around or have someone live there when you were away. Nobody messes with the oldman who lives at Friday Creek year around. He got guns and protects what is his. By the way his place is for sale too. He wants a cool million for his piece of swamp

Default Does he have 5 or 40 acres in there?

High price for a cabin site. Hope old Joe gets it though.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org

I met an older fella and his son that live in a cabin out there a few years back while riding with AkMud and Blink, he was very hospitable and seemed to like having company. Is this the same guy you are all talking about? There is an airstrip not to far from his cabin.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    ....Nobody messes with the oldman who lives at Friday Creek year around. He got guns and protects what is his. By the way his place is for sale too. He wants a cool million for his piece of swamp
    Old Man Oswald wants a million bucks for his place?

What is it with folks up here and the crazy prices they ask for land?

Yes that's his place by the airstrip. Friendly guy, he talked me into dragging off a couple of burned out vehicles out of Friday Creek with my Big Rig and drag them back to the parking lot. He also tried to convince me that ALL of the burned vehicles were torched by greenpeace, bunny hugging, granola chewers whose plan is to get the Knik River Valley for themselves

Default Hmmmm.....

Joe is there all the time.
    You can see a ways from his place...
    The man has to have his wits about him to live out there....
    I'ld love to catch one on camera! :-)
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org

Hope you don't mind me dragging this thread out of the attic. Can anyone tell me exactly where these 2 trails are? Meaning the Friday Creek and Metal Creek trails. I have seen some of the pictures on here from those trails and would like to take a look at the area. TIA!!
    EricL

Default Metal Creek Trail

Basically just head for the glacier, you will run into Metal Creek. It flows against the base of the glacier. Stay to your left, just before you drop off into Metal Creek as it comes out of the canyon, and you will see a trail that starts up the mountain. It is approximately 5.5 miles back in there before you come to a landslide that stops you.
    Another good trail is about 1.5-2.0 miles in on the Metal Creek Trail, you will see it take a hard left straight up. Careful about taking it in the winter or too early spring. A word of advice here. It may seem ok, but the ground is only thawed 4-6 inches down, and I did mention straight up did I not? Once you break throught the thawed portion, not at the start of the trail but much further back in, lots of lifts here, it is basically ice! Slip slidding away! Backwards! I have been up there many times in Aug & Sept and no problems.

Friday Creek, once you are past Jim Creek, heck, I'm just throwing numbers out here, maybe another 6-7 miles and there are two ways in for most of the crowd, if you miss either, you run into the Knik River. I know Oswald maintains another trail in but have not messed with it. Take a left. The first left will take you to Friday Creek proper and if you can get up in there and cross, to your left, you will be able to climb Widow Maker or visit Oswald. Intresting trails on the other side also. When Friday Creek is very low as in November and the temps and ice cooperate, you can go right up the canyon, great rock hunting up in there!

I doubt you can get very far up the MC trail right now unless you're running studded tires. Steep climbs on ice. The snow is probably soft and deep the further up you go.
    As far as Friday Creek I doubt you can cross up near the canyon also. I was up there a few hours ago, no way up and down the ice ledges.

Default Metal Creek/Friday Creek

DWS,
    Exactly!
    Thats why I mentioned Aug/Sept.
    I have seen the ground still frozen at the higher altitudes in July!
    Experienced it, been there, done that!

Quote Originally Posted by RockHound View Post
    DWS,
    Exactly!
    Thats why I mentioned Aug/Sept.
    I have seen the ground still frozen at the higher altitudes in July!
    Experienced it, been there, done that!
    I made it up there a lot of times in winter and spring with my studded 589s. Almost every time I took people without studs they crashed backwards into the trees while trying to climb

Default Studs

Exactly my point!
    It is very steep and you have to be prepared.
    For some, the idea of ice screws is a very foreign idea.
    Very handy for climbing the ice ramps as they drop down into Metal Creek!
    Also nice going through Wolfe Point when it ices up!
    They really suck though when you want to spin brodies on the ice, too much traction. I know, I know, I'm too old for that sh..! Thats for all them thar rookies!
    A good set of ice screws will last me 200-250 miles, then they are worn down to the point where you had better remove them with the "ole" cordless drill or else face the prospect of removing them by hand with vise grips.
    I know, I know, everybody else has a better way!
    I choose to go the easy way out!

We got up Metal Creek trail two weekends ago, no studded tires, you probably know where these pics were taken but this was my first time up there and this is as far as we went. I was riding a Big Bear 400 stock tires, no problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast