Thread: Unit 18 or 21?

Default Unit 18 or 21?

I'm considering flipping a coin to determine what hunt unit we will float next summer. Althougth the coin could possibly decide the end result, thought it'd be smart to get some feedback and knowledge before I do something totally crazy!

Two units are 18 and 21. Looking around Marshall in 18 and Shageluck in 21. Worth the trouble or go elsewhere?

Goal is one 60" plus and plenty of scenery.

Have 10 days to float.

Default Try something different.....

Okay, no replies... Maybe I worded this wrong or no one has hunted the two areas which I highly doubt.

I heard unit 18 holds some of the best moose and most likely one of the best areas in the state. Any truth to this?

Taking my 14 year old on his first float using his new 7MM and just want it to be good. If you don't think either of these areas are worthy throw me a bone and point me in the cardinal direction as to where to look....... goody

Check the pristine ventures website. There is a post there about a hunt in 21 I think. Either place has decent moose. Lots of opportunity for floats along the main Yukon and back sloughs in 18.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Thanks.

Appreciate the insight and I must have missed it on there. I've also searched the archives and can find some insight but just trying to do all my homework and use all the resources to make this a great trip for him as well as myself.

Young guys had a rough year with me being gone for the last 15 months. Probably has made more sacrifices than I have being at that age with dad gone......

Look into unit 25 also, lots of river to float and lots of moose too, plus a lot of that unit is any bull.

Default What's your experience Goody?

Looks like you're a soldier, fresh to Alaska...Wondering if you've ever hunted moose before? & If so, do you know what it entails?

Default Good read Gogoalie

I am a Soldier but I have been in Alaska for a little while. I haven't hunted moose but I do have approximately 29 years of hunting experience with a variety of big game.

Not sure what you are asking when you asked if I knew what it entails. Did you mean the float, the hunting techniques, shot placement, field care, hazards or costs?

I can tell you that I grew up in WV, have harvested numerous whitetails (two P&Y), dozens of turkey, three black bear (bow kills), a couple hogs (not woman but wild boars); dad was/is a butcher/taxidermists (therefore I can properly harvest, clean, butcher and hell mount (not sexually..haha) but for display whatever I should run across)(actually I don't have the skill to do fish but I'm learning), 2 years experience as rafting guide on class III and IV water (New and Gauley Rivers)(mainly to make money to suport bad habits), 17 years as a Soldier deployed to varies regions/countries, regularily road march/back pack with 50-75 pounds rucksacks, expert with weapons/munitions(infantryman), GPS wizard with vast experience reading maps that are of various standards and an avid reader of the forum as well as various books on moose and hunting in general.

Gear also isn't an issue due to being a pack rat and having just about everything to include the raft. Awaiting Mr. Bartlett to email me back so I can purchase a new raft they are coming out with. Have an old (2002) Zebec but it's ready for recycle or at least that's what I tell the wife....(yes I've read all the debates on the various rafts and think or feel to each his own due to having the experience and seeing some stuff floated on rivers that I wouldn't even think about doing... Once saw a man traverse class IV rapids with two milkjugs...(stupid but he lived) I'm not a pilot, have no interest in being one (why I had three sons) but it appears there's plenty around (some good some not so good)

Financially well off or at least comfortable so finances aren't an issue.

I guess I wrote that to say that I do have a good vision as to what it entails and think I am just about as ready mentally and physically as I can be but not quite educated enough on the geographic region. therefore I am asking for assistance and looking for some guidance. What can you tell me that I might have overlooked to ensure that I am successful and make it a great trip for my son? Not a fan of crowds and want off the beaten path and seriously considering throwing this to Mr. Bartlett or Mr. Strahan or one of the other experts to have them organize or plan the area to eliminate my unknowns or at least minimize them. Any thoughts, ideas or insight is greatly appreciated by the experienced. v/r Goody

Default Moose aren't whitetails...

Just remember that, there are a many an out-o-state hunter who come out to the bush & don't consider the OMG Factor!

OMG My moose fell into the water...

OMG look how HUGE that moose is & I am so tired...

OMG here comes Yogi & his pal Boo Boo, I can't bring home all the meat now...

OMG shipping all this meat is going to cost THOUSANDS!

OMG camp is over 5 mi. away & we have to pack four quarters weiging over 90lb each! & the ribs, & rump &...

etc. etc. etc.

Default Agree Completely!

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    Just remember that, there are a many an out-o-state hunter who come out to the bush & don't consider the OMG Factor!
    Excellent OMG points and I agree completely. However, fully realize what 1200-1500 lbs on the hoof is like once it's on the ground. Made for long days growing up with "daisy" down and my chores required carrying or hauling the quarters from the slaughter to the butcher house. Add some terrain and mother nature to that and I can visualize it completely. Not what I call enjoyment and why I am hoping to keep the kill within a half mile or so to the river. Saw mixed opinions on kills in the water and it looked possible to float them into 18" or less water and dress them there. Is this true or is this almost impossible?

Also like to point out that I won't shoot what I can't haul therefore my goal is one bull and nothing more. Plus I can't eat all of that so I'll have to give some of it away as it is.

You also made an assessment that moose aren't whitetails but I think you kind of overexagerate this a little bit. A moose isn't moved as a whole element but in pieces weighing roughly 75-150 lbs. Correct? If this is somewhate accurate then I would say that once a moose is dressed then it is very close or in many cases less weight to move than a whitetail. Understand it is carried/hauled versus drug but you understand what I am saying.

One major concern are the brown bear but apparently they aren't as bad as portrayed as long as common sense is applied and the meat properly taken care of. No M&M's in the tent so to speak.....

Are both these areas above your location? I see you are from the lower Yukon so I'm curious how much if any time you have spent in within these areas....

I think goalie, in his own way, is volunteering to help you on your unit 18 hunt. He lives right there in unit 18. You could finish your float on the Yukon in his town of Marshall.

Default Sure as heck hope so!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    I think goalie, in his own way, is volunteering to help you on your unit 18 hunt. He lives right there in unit 18. You could finish your float on the Yukon in his town of Marshall.
    Long day over here with the passing of my grandmother so I've spent a lot of hours reading the forums.

It's obvious Gogoalie is a man of wisdom and has a lot to share. Very impressed with his depth of knowledge and hope one day I can share a river bank or log with him.

Who knows, maybe bowinkle will even pass by while we are discussing life in general.....

Default Goody...

Thanks for the kind words, however, I will have to defer the wisdom & knowledge to someone with more experience than I, like Michael Strahan, Bushrat, Marcus, etc.

I've hunted 21E 4x's and 18 all my life, and passed through Marshall several times. Boated down the Yukon River and Tanana, beautiful scenery. 21E has nice scenery, and possibly less boating traffic which makes better floating. Also less villages to deal with in the area.

Sorry for your grandmother's passing.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Quote Originally Posted by MARV1 View Post
    I've hunted 21E 4x's and 18 all my life, and passed through Marshall several times. Boated down the Yukon River and Tanana, beautiful scenery. 21E has nice scenery, and possibly less boating traffic which makes better floating. Also less villages to deal with in the area.

Sorry for your grandmother's passing.
    Appreciate the insight and sounds more and more like a beautiful place to float. What's the best way to get there? "Fly Anchorage to Marshall via commercial and Bush charter out of Marshall?" Appears to be much cheaper to minimize the air time with the bush pilots and smarter to use commercial to get you as close as you can.

Default Fly Anchorage to Bethel, or Aniak...

Would be the best to get to 21E...

& my bad...my condolences on the passing of your Grandmother...

Default Brother you are up late!

Gogoalie, thanks for your kind words and I appeciate the help. I hope to come find you when I come over next summer. If you come to the Anchorage area make sure you PM me so that I can have the wife cook you a nice country meal so we can talk life in general!

I'll start looking hard at 21E and I'm sure I'll come back with a zillion questions as to the rivers and accessability........

What are you doing up so late? haha...

Default Am a selfemployed Cashier...

(read: I own my own store) & I stay up late cuz I close 12p in summer & 11p school times, & I've never been a nighttime sleeper...

Good country meal would sound good...I learned how to fry up my own Fried chicken & make some whipped potato's (not the boxed dehydrated stuff) & I hope that where ever you choose, you're sucessful...

Keep your chin up & your head down!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    Am a selfemployed Cashier... (read: I own my own store).....
    Grocery type of store?

You can fly Frontier Flying Service to Aniak. From there, you can use Inland Aviation for a drop off either in 21 or 18.
    For a possible cheaper hunt, continue on Frontier from Aniak to any of the Yukon villages served out of Aniak. Just float the Yukon, poking into some of the side sloughs along the way. Take a good map, maybe even mark some places on your GPS. You should be able to paddle into some small sloughs and hunt around them.
    You can end your float in any village and take a scheduled carrier back to Aniak or Bethel, and then back to Anch.
    As an alternative, I assume your a resident hunter, there is a 20 day moose season in unit 23 which could offer some decent moose hunting............but then you wouldn't get to meet goalie in Marshall.
    That 21/18 border area also has a fair number of black bear. The hills along the north/west side of the Yukon have griz, which do prowl along the main river occaisionally.

Thanks for the help! I am a resident and plan on spending some time over in those areas next summer. Something about the Yukon and opportunity to float it and some of the smaller streams that feed into it gets my blood pumping. The blackies and grizz will keep it interesting and there's always room in the raft for one of them so long as a bullet has passed through them first....... If I float elsewhere, I'll still find the time to meet gogoalie as the worlds a small place and our paths will cross...