Thread: Kenai peninsula planning for 2008

Default Kenai peninsula planning for 2008

I'm trying to get an idea of what rivers and species people target on the Kenai peninsula each month. I realize that the runs vary each season. Everyone knows about the Kenai river/russian river, but what about the other moving water on the peninsula? I'm attempting to plan an RV trip next year and would like to move around a bit. I'd like to avoid double backing if possible.

Default Fishing Sucess

Quote Originally Posted by monello View Post
    I'm trying to get an idea of what rivers and species people target on the Kenai peninsula each month. I realize that the runs vary each season. Everyone knows about the Kenai river/russian river, but what about the other moving water on the peninsula? I'm attempting to plan an RV trip next year and would like to move around a bit. I'd like to avoid double backing if possible.
    Check out this site and ask questions to the webmaster, it should help you plan your trip. GOOD LUCK

June Kings on the Kenai

Ocean, Halibut, rockfish and kings out of deep creek, nilnick and homer

Mid June Reds on the Russian rive and Kenai

July Second run of kings on the kenai along with a second run red on the Russian and kenai.

Ocean, Halibut, lings, rockfish and kings and silvers will start to show up at the end of the month out of deep creek, nilnick and homer

Aug. Silver, pinks are in the kenai. You may find some in the Russian.

Ocean, Halibut, lings, rockfish, silvers and kings out of deep creek, nilnick and homer

There are many other rivers and streams you can pick up fish.. Get the highway angler book. It has good info.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Hwy angler 2

I second that suggestion. There are a TON of fishing places. I would start at Quartz or Crecent creek for some fly fishing for trout/grayling. Then float the upper Kenai. Then if Kings were still avail I might try for them in the lower kenai river or just skip that and go south to the Kasilof. I would fish the kasilof by crooked creek for whatever salmon where avial and maybe float it too (short float). There there is the Anchor, Deep Creek, and Ninichick for Kings if running. Silvers if late in the year. (some are weekend only I think). I live fishing the Anchor personally for just about anything.
    I would stop and maybe go clamming in Clam gulch if the tides were right.
    Then on to Homer or deep creek to fish Butts and others.
    On my way back I would go to Seward and fish the creek there in town for reds. Maybe another charter to get lingcod and salmon.
    I would then stop at the town of hope on my way back to anchorage and fish for humpies.
    I might stop at portage to fish silvers if they were running, and finally stop by bird creek for some silvers.

Honestly this is what I fish all the time (usually just one a weekend) but if I was on vacation I would hit it all just like that and take a couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by FLFisherman View Post
    Check out this site and ask questions to the webmaster, it should help you plan your trip. GOOD LUCK
    alaskafishingsuccess.com

Default Alaska Planning...

Nothing supports the big trip to AK as much as the books dedicated to providing that information. Check out what is available in the bookstore on this site. There are some good ones, packed with plenty of data...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    There are many other rivers and streams you can pick up fish.. Get the highway angler book. It has good info.
    I couldn't agree more! I use "The Bible" every summer and make notes in mine....it really is all beat up due to my overuse of it. Keep in mind, the title of the book is just that. It points out timing, species, tackle, etc for areas that are along Alaska's Contiguous Road System. Sounds right up your alley if you are planning a RV trip.