Thread: Nosler Brass

Default Nosler Brass

Does anyone know who makes the brass that Nosler sells and is head stamped with the Nosler name? Do they possibility manufacture it them selves? Also, has anyone used this brass and if so what was your experience, e.g. general assessment?

When ever I have a question such as you have I call the company selling the stuff and ask them. It makes it a lot simpler, and you know you have the right skinny.

I have read on several other forums that Federal makes the Nosler brass. Is it true? I don't know, but I have heard the same info from several different sites.

If you make the call, please let us know what Nosler says.

I thought I read a while back that it was selected Norma brass but I haven't been able to find that info since. That would explain the cost.

Default Who makes it?

"When ever I have a question such as you have I call the company selling the stuff and ask them. It makes it a lot simpler, and you know you have the right skinny"

Actually this is what I usually do but in this case it would not give me any independent user experience. I called Nosler this morning and talked to "Mike" in customer service who refused to say who manufactured their brass. He would acknowledge that some of it was made in Europe and some was make in the US. For the cases I asked about: 300 RUM = Europe, 300 Wby = Europe, 30-06 = US.

Default ? Nosler 300 RUM

I find the fact that Nosler states that their 300 RUM brass is manufactured in Europe quizzical. I have been reloading for this particular cartridge for almost 10 years and the only manufactures of brass for this cartridge that I have found have been: Remington - surprisingly tough, and Federal - disappointing in that primer pockets loosen after only 3 reloads. The only European manufactures that I can think of that might manufacture 300 RUM brass in the quantity and with the quality that I presume Nosler would require would be Norma and Lapua. I checked both of the web sites for these manufactures and there is no mention that they manufacture 300 RUM brass - of course this does not mean they don't, but at least for Lapua I have heard that they require a run of AT LEAST 100,00 pieces before they will make a run of brass for a major caliber. In addition I can divine no significant reason for either of the above companies to manufacture brass in a particular chambering and not list it....unless there is a manufacturing agreement with Nosler that they will be a sole source provider and not offer it to the general public ... at least not for a specific time period. Any thoughts or insight would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    I have been reloading for this particular cartridge for almost 10 years .

I didnt think the RUM cases had been out that long, I first remember them in 2000 or 2001. Did they come out that long ago?
    If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
    If you can read this in English, thank a Soldier.

I actually have the 300 Canadian which is the case initially developed by Aubrey White of North American Shooting Systems. He went to Big Green in the late '90's to see if they were interested - they said no and then 2 years later came out with the 300 RUM! Head stamped 300 Canadian brass has not been manufactured for years - I now just use 300 RUM brass, run it thru the dies to change the shoulder angle and am good to go. Hope that addresses your suspicions.

Thats cool, had never heard of the 300 Canadian before. I am guessing they are ballisctically the same?

The only reason I asked is when I bought mine in 2001 I thought that I had the first one around, and I specially ordered mine. It sucked because factory ammo and reloading stuff hadnt made it up there yet. Had to order the first couple boxes from Midway.

Thanks for the info, hope you find out who makes it.I have been thinking about buying some for my .308 & 7mm Mag.
    If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
    If you can read this in English, thank a Soldier.

A few months ago I called Nosler and asked them who made the brass and was told Quality Cartridge in Maryland.

I purchased some 308 and 270 and it seems to be great stuff I do not think Federal makes it but am not sure of anything at this point.

I have what's left of 500 rds made by Federal in 300Rum. This is some of the best U.S. made brass I've ever seen, used or heard of. It rivals anything ever produced by Hertinburger, Lapua or any one of the other half dozen European brass manufacturers.

I spun 200 rounds of this stuff in my NECO and gave up, it's that good. I wish Federal would do another run, it's that good.

Yes, I know for all you dyed in the wool accuracy buff that have never seen good U.S. made brass, It can be done here at home.

You can rest assured that what ever Nosler brings in will be to SAAMI specs.