Thread: Rabbit stew recipe

Default Rabbit stew recipe

Anyone have a good recipe for rabbit stew?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default here's ours

I'm not the cook but my girlfriend cuts ours off the bone in chunks and puts a bunch of fresh veggies, 2 or 3 rabbits, potatoes and whatever in a crock pot and simmer all afternoon. It's awesome. Making me think I better go kill a couple Saturday.

I've yet to cook Artic Hare but Cottontails I would cook 'em Chicken & Dumplin' style. >yum-yum!< Reckon I'll give that method a try once I bag a few hares and see how it turns out.

Default stew

ak gray
    I like to cook them in a crockpot with mushroom soup mix then put over rice or spuds

Default rabbit stew

i usually will cook the qaurters and backs in a pressure cooker with some garlic. then take the meat off the bone. this makes the meat super tender (like chicken) and does not take as long as crok potting it. take the left over juice from the pressure cooker and add it to chicken or beef stock (i preffer chicken) throw in what ever veggies u want taters, carrots, onions, clerey, mushrooms,ect.. add your spices i usually use a little rosmary, tyne, sage, parsley, salt, pepper, (if u like it spicey throw in some crushed red peppers or add white pepper for some kick). simmer all the veggies in the stock till they start to be come tender. take the meat u chunked off the bone and throw it in let it cook another 10-15 minutes. i add the rabbit last to keep it from getting to tough since it already has been cooked let it all simmer then last add your noodles or dumplings what ever u want. if u want it thicker add flour or bisquick and a little butter. this is jsut a rough over view of how i make mine. i have not had any complaints i can even get non-game eaters to like it

Quote Originally Posted by aksportsmen View Post
    i usually will cook the qaurters and backs in a pressure cooker with some garlic. then take the meat off the bone. this makes the meat super tender (like chicken) and does not take as long as crok potting it. take the left over juice from the pressure cooker and add it to chicken or beef stock (i preffer chicken) throw in what ever veggies u want taters, carrots, onions, clerey, mushrooms,ect.. add your spices i usually use a little rosmary, tyne, sage, parsley, salt, pepper, (if u like it spicey throw in some crushed red peppers or add white pepper for some kick). simmer all the veggies in the stock till they start to be come tender. take the meat u chunked off the bone and throw it in let it cook another 10-15 minutes. i add the rabbit last to keep it from getting to tough since it already has been cooked let it all simmer then last add your noodles or dumplings what ever u want. if u want it thicker add flour or bisquick and a little butter. this is jsut a rough over view of how i make mine. i have not had any complaints i can even get non-game eaters to like it

Sound good. Might have to try that.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Just made this yesterday, but I used extra meat, extra veggies, more seasoning, and a can of beef broth. Everyone who has tried it has loved it!

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 rabbit, about 3 pounds, cut up
    • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    • 3 tablespoons butter
    • 1 cup chopped celery
    • 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
    • 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • dash pepper
    • 1 bay leaf
    • 4 cups water
    • 4 cups dry red wine
    • 2 cups diced carrots
    • 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
    • 4 ounces sliced mushrooms, sauteed
    • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    • 1/3 cup water

PREPARATION:

Directions for rabbit stew.
    Dredge rabbit pieces with 1/2 cup flour. Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat; brown rabbit pieces on all sides. Add celery, onion, salt, pepper, bay leaf, 4 cups water, and wine; bring to the boil.

Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and simmer rabbit stew for 2 hours. Add carrots, potatoes, and mushrooms; cook for about 25 to 30 minutes longer, or until vegetables are tender. Combine 1/4 cup flour and 1/3 cup water; stir until well blended and smooth. Stir flour mixture into the broth; cook and stir until thickened.
    Rabbit stew recipe serves 4.