Thread: best method/area to hunt blackies and moose

Thumbs up best method/area to hunt blackies and moose

As most of you know, im moving to alaska soon and i want to get right into the hunting/fishing.

im living in anchorage so the kenai and P.W.Sound are pretty close.

I heard that if you cant shoot a moose within a mile of a road... you better not shoot it. Are there lots of back country roads and trails that you can take vehicles on and can spot moose from in this area???

What is the best way to hunt this area???
    Im guessing my first investment needs to be a good spotting scope??

The best advise I can give you is to join a couple of friends or coworkers who hunt moose, and test the waters for a season or two. That's what I did, because most folks are not going to tell you what they do and where they go to get their moose. What I did at the beginning was to get to know the two fellows that took me hunting with them, and to help them as much as possible with their moose. That first year I just helped them skin, quarter, and pack the moose meat out. Once they knew that I believed in doing my share of the work, then they allowed me to come back with them the second year. The first year I only got a few steaks, but I was still grateful for being allowed in their hunting spots.

They snore quite heavily, and get up late, so I was getting up early and killing "our" moose, most times early in the day. They would immediately come over and help me with "our" moose, and I would divide the meat in three equal portions, one for each of us. From that point on they too began sharing their moose with me in equal parts, and thats the case to this day.

Nowadays none of us minds at all who kills a moose, since it's always shared in equal portions. However, I have never broken their trust by telling others of our hunting spots, nor do we bring anybody in unless all of us agree with that.

Default Ray...

My bad. I didnt mean to insult anyone's intellegence by thinking that i could weasle out of someone a prime hunting spot. My intention was not to find an exact location for hunting or to learn someone's "secret" spot. Just looking for general info on the sport and some general info on the most succesful means of hunting(ie driving around and looking, spot&stalk, baiting, etc). Im from Texas, and what works for us down here in new new mexico probably doesnt apply in alaska.

I think that joining a hunting party as strictly a "helper" is probably a good way to learn about that style of hunting. Thats a great idea. Def plan on doing that.

Ive been doing a ton of research on hunting in AK, but until i get out there and get my hands dirty I guess i just wont really know anything.

Aggie soon to be welcome to the state. IMO head north for bears and moose. I live in anchorage and I do the pilgrimmage north (6 hour drive) a couple times of year.

Way to many knuckleheads in SC. good areas and good animals but its alot harder. I'd rather drive and fill the freezer than deal with the games around here.

Of course this my opinion, take it for what its worth.

Default AK hunting

As part of your basic/initial research for hunting I would recommend that you read Chris Batin's book, "Hunting in Alaska" available in the bookstore of this web site. In addition the AK Dept of F&G (http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/) has a tremendous amount of informative/articles that are well worth reading if you have not done so already. Good luck.

If you are willing to walk farther than everybody else you will be more successful... In other words weigh your distance from road with your leval of fitness, number of friends, type of terrain and amount of time. Personally I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a moose anywhere within 10 miles of the car with 4 other friends and a decent trail. Of course when I shoot a moose I'll probably change my tune a bit my thinking is I want to be able to pack the moose out in about 12 hours because that is about my limit.

For bear, if you really, really want to shoot a bear taking a jet boat somewhere in unit 16b and putting up a bait station is about as close to a sure thing as you can get in hunting... Personally I wouldn't bait unless I needed the meat but I'm in the vast minority.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default 10 Miles??

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    If you are willing to walk farther than everybody else you will be more successful... In other words weigh your distance from road with your leval of fitness, number of friends, type of terrain and amount of time. Personally I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a moose anywhere within 10 miles of the car with 4 other friends and a decent trail. Of course when I shoot a moose I'll probably change my tune a bit my thinking is I want to be able to pack the moose out in about 12 hours because that is about my limit.

For bear, if you really, really want to shoot a bear taking a jet boat somewhere in unit 16b and putting up a bait station is about as close to a sure thing as you can get in hunting... Personally I wouldn't bait unless I needed the meat but I'm in the vast minority.
    Even on a gravel road 10 miles to pack a moose one way means at the very least 40 miles of hiking for each person. 10 to get the camp in cause if your hiking in 10 miles chances are it isn't just a day trip. Ten miles to haul out the moose in 1 trip with 4 people which would be some severly heavy loads espeically if its a 50"/3/4 browtine. 10 Miles back in empty to go get camp and 10 more miles to bring camp out. Thats pretty ambitious, but more power to ya.

Also chances are that if there is a pretty good trail in for 10 miles you won't be going further than the majority of the people because that trail more than likely made that good due to lots of traffic be it foot or motor vehicles.

Default Do your homework

Plenty of people that hunt so you'll find some friends pretty quick. Serious hunters are another story.... Read everything that you can get your hands on and spend a lot of time reading the forums. Lots of good information on here...... Not as difficult as it sometimes seems but there's also not a bear behind every tree.....

Sent you a PM.

Serious hunters indeed are the "hard to find" component!

I've meet many men who want to hunt, have hunted, like to hunt, ect........

These same men just don't take it to the next level and seek the same level of commitment I do. Wild animals are tough and thats what a hunter has to be to increase the odds of success.

I have experienced poor planning.
    I watch out for poor preperations (physical).
    I get lazy camp work ethics.
    I've been with people unprepared for spike camps or the next ridge.
    Pre Hunt planning is crucial and the logistics before the date are paramount. I want someone just as interested and focused as I am.

Over the years I've established one friend thats fairly solid under all conditions. Finding a good "serious" hunting companion is like finding a gold vane, lots of work but well worth it.

When you get north really work on those friendships. Sometimes it takes alot of work on your part to get into the right friendship. Be patient...........Some guys will wait a long time before even bringing up the option of joining them in the field.

Default The unspoken truth

Yup, yup to everything Bighorse said....something well recognized by long time Alaskan hunters, but seldom verbalized.

I don't know about your experiences, but mine have been just like I explained in my post above. I always take my time getting to know people, but in my case it was those two fellows I had known for awhile (the ones I mentioned before) who introduced me to hunting in Alaska. They were civilians, while I was still in the military, but still, they told me about moose anatomy, where and why to shoot moose, bears, etc. That's how I learned how to skin, quarter, and bag the moose meat. Also, how to keep it clean, cool, and dry. Not only that, but I learned not to do all that work by myself, since it's often too dangerous to do it all alone. Best of all, I have learned about their favorite hunting spots, and so about other hunters' to whom I was introduced to by them.

Soooo, that's the best advise I can give to any GI like i was years ago, or to any civilian who is a newcomer to AK. I heartily agree that good friends are hard to find.

Hey aggie, You are making a great choice coming to this special place in the world. For black bear find someone with a boat and head out to p.w.s. in september it's close to Anchorage about 30miles You won't have a problem finding one just watch the creeks unless you are very picky with what size you want and might take a little more patience. In september this year we went out labor day weekend and saw 50, and snuck up within 10yrds on one that never presented a shot with my bow it was always moving and turning, My bro got one at 20yrds and we had numerous stalks that in the end we bailed out of for different reasons. I don't have a problem sharing a little info. to help you on your way and in fact come august if you haven't met anyone with a boat contact me I will get you out there as long as you are quite and don't where red and understand if you shoot a rifle bows come first unless a stalk is not a option and then fire away. As far as moose up north present numerous area's from palmer to tok and from wasilla to talkeetna and beyond just check the huntings regs. for openings and if permits are required. Hope this helps you in every way. good day to you