Thread: Ekwok and Illiamna

Default Ekwok and Illiamna

I will be bouncing back and forth from Illiamna and Ekwok next summer and was wondering what kind of oppertunities would be avaliable without a boat. I know that there is lots of great fishing in these areas but every one I have talked to that went out there had ether a boat or a plane.
    I may have land transportation but it is unlikly that I will have much access to a boat.

In Illiamna you will be within a very short walk of the Newhalen River (3/4 mile from airport). The Newhalen has spectacular fishing for sockeye salmon, as well as huge rainbow trout that follow the salmon upriver. The sign near the river indicates that king salmon are present earlier in the season and silvers later on, but I've never targeted these species there. There is also awesome grayling fishing in nearly every small stream in the area. I assume you can do well on grayling in the Newhalen itself, but I've never tried.

Here are a few pics from this year, around July 10th.

Thank you

Does any one know about the nushagak river near Ekwok?

Default Nush

The nush is pretty large even up there and shore fishing won't be a great way to go. That said, there are lots of boats up there and if you hit it off with some locals, you may find yourself with not only transportation, but some good local info as well. Ekwok is a yupik village and while some rod and reeling goes on, it's more of a subsistence area, that said, they still know where the fish are and may very well help you out. So, when are you goin to either of these areas?

Well I have projects going on in those places so I am probably going to be bouncing back and forth between the 2 places all summer. I probably wont have much time to go out on any thing more then the occasional day trip.