Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .257 Weatherby

Default .257 Weatherby

I've never felt the need to step into the Maximum speed club in the past, but I have always been intrigued by Roy Weatherby's personal favorite. So I recently purchased a .257 Weatherby rifle and was wondering if any of you would care to pass on your experiences with the .257 on game or paper.

This rifle weighs in at nearly 9lbs scoped, yet the previous owner had invested in a very nice muzzle brake. Having not shot this rifle yet, does this rifle have the recoil to actually warrant the muzzle brake? I can't imagine it would, and currently I intend to have the brake removed and a thread protector installed in its place.

I would imagine the muzzle blast on this rig would be rather "invigorating."

What load have you guys and gals had the best luck with in your .257 rifles?

29 days till I head up into the sheep hills, but who is counting?

Thanks all

Todd

years ago I shot one quite a bit alongside a 25-06 at the range for comparison, as well as on game. The early models with their slow twist barrels stink because the only heavy bullet they come close to stabilizing is a 117 grain round nose, completely defeating the long range potential of the round. You were pretty much stuck with using 100 grain bullets for long range accuracy at the expense of terminal performance. Later versions increased barrel twist rate, so they work fine with heavy bullets and lived up to long range potential.

Way back when I owned mine (2) there wasn't today's wide range of slow powders. I was pretty much stuck with surplus 4831 and IMR-4350. I'd be interested in hearing other's experience with contemporary powders. There hasn't been a 257 Wby in my rack for a long time, while I have most of the other 25's and some wildcats. May be time to deal with the hole.

I've been using a 257 Wby Ultralight for years. I am not anti-muzzle brake but you don't need one for the 257. I have settled on the Barnes 100 TSX for my bullet. I would feel confident using it for anything, given good shot placement it has enough oomph to kill. Haven't been able to keep the Barnes inside any animals yet.

Regarding game performance, here are some links to some interesting animals taken with it.

http://community.webshots.com/album/251253567DwwfmQ

http://community.webshots.com/album/549039628FGohJz

Hope this works, it is a link to a short video (400K) of the actual shot on a black bear from POW. Taken at 165 yards using 120 partitions, before I tried the Barnes. It was a solo hunt, I set the camcorder up on a large low hanging branch and then rested the gun across the branch.
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...t=QuikBear.flv

I will be using it on Kodiak this fall for goat and deer.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

I went just a little bit faster and had a 257 STW barrel built for my Encore. 27" Virgin Valley. 4200 FPS with a 100 grain Barnes TSX and a healthy dose of RL25.
    Allen Glore

Could someone talk about meat damage from the .257 Weatherby. Is it way worse than the Roberts or .25-06? I've considered putting together a rifle in .257 Weatherby several times, but I have it in my head (perhaps in error)that the destruction to meat would be more than I want.

...Ed, you really crumpled that black bear...nice shot guy.

My brother had a 257 Weatherby and it seemed to hit like lightning. It would flatten every deer and antelope he shot. It even dusted off a few Gemsbok. Not sure why, but most everything he shot just dropped like it's legs were chopped off and most shots were in the lungs, although I think both Gemsbok were neck shots.

He finally shot the barrel out of it after quite a few years and a ton of shooting. This gun shot so well he used it exclusively for close to 10 years.

I don't know why the Weatherby would blooshot meat any worse than a 7MM mag or a 25-06.

Use IMR 7828 with 115gr Barnes XLC and 120gr Nosler Part

Suggest using contolled expansion bullets for best performance and less meat damage.

I don't use it but the 100gr Barnes Tipped TSX should make dandy bullet in the 257 WBY.

Watch out for the older ones floating around with the original 1:12" twist. They would stabilize a 100-grain cup and core, but you had to use round nosed 117's to get anything heavier to stabilize. Those long Barnes would be worthless as dirt. I recently passed on a pristine early MkV because of the slow twist. The price was right, but the twist was wrong.

I got lucky a couple of months ago and purchased a 257 Weatherby ultralight for $870 dollars at a well known gun store in the lower 48. Using the serial number I am pretty sure it is an 04 model. The rifle was in excellent shape cosmetically so the price made me worry that possibly it didnt shoot very well. I was willing to take the risk and buy it with the thought that I could replace the barrel and still come out ahead. So far my best friend who is holding onto it for me has installed a Timney trigger I ordered and a Leupold ultralight scope. The big test was two weeks ago when he shot it. Glad to say it will hold 1 inch with the Factory 100 grain TSX's. So far this season he has taken 1 deer and 1 coyote with it. Both of them were bang flops, aka DRT. I can't wait to get a chance to use it up here and I plan on loading some 100 grain TTSX's to try out. The rifle has the 1:10" twist. Anyone else here use a 257 Weatherby that can share some of their experiences with it?

I have been looking at the Sub-MOA line of Weatherby's in .257 for several months now. I wish they would make one with a 26" barrel though as I like longer barrels.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I have a SS Vanguard Laminate in .257 Weatherby...absolutely love the rifle. It looks great and shoots better. Have only taken one deer with it so far so not a lot to talk about as far as on game experience goes. Planning on working up a load with 100gr. Nosler E-tip and some H1000 this winter. Every time this subject comes up I post a link to this article:

http://www.shootingtimes.com/2011/01/04/ammunition_st257weatherbymagnum_031706/

G
    reat info on the .257 and a comparison between 24" and 26" barrels.

Best of luck with that ULW...I do believe that may be my next Weatherby purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by theONE73 View Post
    I have a SS Vanguard Laminate in .257 Weatherby...absolutely love the rifle. It looks great and shoots better. Have only taken one deer with it so far so not a lot to talk about as far as on game experience goes. Planning on working up a load with 100gr. Nosler E-tip and some H1000 this winter. Every time this subject comes up I post a link to this article:

http://www.shootingtimes.com/2011/01/04/ammunition_st257weatherbymagnum_031706/

G
    reat info on the .257 and a comparison between 24" and 26" barrels.

Best of luck with that ULW...I do believe that may be my next Weatherby purchase.
    "Regardless of whether the barrel measures 24 or 26 inches, I seldom fail to reach, or even exceed, 3500 fps with 100-grain bullets and 3300 fps with bullets weighing 115 to 120 grains, all loaded to acceptable chamber pressures."

I wonder how he has determined what "acceptable" is? I she using any pressure testing equipment or just guessing. Prolly just guessing like everyone on here.

I like the overall aesthetic of the longer barrel. Depending on the forearm length a 30" would not be too long. I have been spending some time over on LongRangeHunting.com where this love of properly balanced firearms is expressed. Too many short barrel groupies on here. Prolly lots of deaf people 'cause of it too. To each their own.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I love the .257 Bee. I bought a Vanguard in .257 a couple years ago. I bedded the Howa barreled action in a B&C stock with Devcon and installed a Timiney trigger. It's a great rifle that consistently shoots sub moa all day, every day if I do my part. The Howa action is one of the slickest of all of my rifles.

I am shooting 100gr TTSX's and the ballistics are outstanding. They did a great job on a Mt Goat this year at just over 300 yards.

They only disadvantage I see to the platform is that they are not particularly light for mountain use.

I just picked up the remington 700 CDL SF in 257 weatherby mag, and cant wait to shoot it got a new B&C and some bedding work to do first. $950 delivered. I was happy to see remington makes a 257 wbym now for the ease of customizing.

Awesome cartridge, and deadly, good pick but as said above you do not need a break for a 257Wby.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    "Regardless of whether the barrel measures 24 or 26 inches, I seldom fail to reach, or even exceed, 3500 fps with 100-grain bullets and 3300 fps with bullets weighing 115 to 120 grains, all loaded to acceptable chamber pressures."

I wonder how he has determined what "acceptable" is? I she using any pressure testing equipment or just guessing. Prolly just guessing like everyone on here.

I like the overall aesthetic of the longer barrel. Depending on the forearm length a 30" would not be too long. I have been spending some time over on LongRangeHunting.com where this love of properly balanced firearms is expressed. Too many short barrel groupies on here. Prolly lots of deaf people 'cause of it too. To each their own.
    I hafta agree with that.

I like long barrels, myself.

I have 2, 26 inchers. They make for more pleasant shooting, and an easy way to add some fps.

Some cartridges just NEED a long barrel. Others don't.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

In my 257 Wby Accumark

My 2 best loads in my accumark 257

70.0 of H4831 with 100gr
    66.4 of IMR 4350 " "

67.0 of H4831 with 120 gr Part
    Alaska

I worked with 2 a few years back and was always astounded by how pleasant they were to shoot, how easily they reached high velocity and how accurate they ended up being with alot of different loads (rifles had much to do with that) THAT said, IF a person wanted a "goat rifle" or "sheep" gun I'm thinking a Kimber 84L 25.06 makes more sense and not really too far back on the heels of the "bee" ( my .02 only )

I was glad to see this thread reactivated. Shortly after it originated in 2006, I built a custom 257WBY out of a 700 action that needed purpose. I put a 10 twist, 26" Lillja barrel on it and did some other things as well. I'm shooting 100grn TSX's handloads out of it and nearly hitting 3600fps. I've taken four black bears with it at distances up to 400 yards, and they just drop lights out. It is my most accurate rifle.
    NRA Life/Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I was glad to see this thread reactivated. .
    Mee too... I have a fondness for Weatherby's and own several but all the large variety up to 460wby.. I have been looking hard at a new gun (smaller caliber) including a few custom non WBY types but keep coming back to an ultra light 257(especially since they come left handed).. Good info in this thread and sounds like most who own it like it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast