Thread: 5 Ways to Kill Your Trapping Rights

Default 5 Ways to Kill Your Trapping Rights

5) Walk directly under multiple "KEEP OUT" signs on private property and proceed to set snares in the middle of a trail.

4) Drop a tree in the middle of a trail so you have a place to put a trail set.

3) Look for a place with lots of dog tracks in a residential neighborhood to start trapping (and make sure you never walk more than 100 feet from the roadway before setting traps)

2) Drive up and down someones driveway everyday for 2 weeks looking for places to trap.

and the #1 way to kill your trapping rights and give the Anti's a reason to hate you.....

1) Set Fox/Coyote snares 2 weeks before the season legally opens in your unit.

If this sounds like you, maybe you should consider the effect your actions have on the many ethical trappers out there. I am a sometimes trapper and the furthest thing from an anti, but this kind unethical trapping would make me align with the anti's if I wasnt a strong hunting/trapping advocate.

USE YOUR HEAD PEOPLE!!!!
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 10-30-2007 at 13:17. Reason: language

Default WHere is this coming from?

was there an article i missed somewhere about this? THere are bad apples in every bunch, but why the sudden whining on here with swearing? Seems a bit uncalled for.

I spent the yesterday evening removing illegally set traps on my property after being awoke at 2 am the night before by some ayhole sneaking around my place setting traps and driving my dogs nuts.

Am i whining? Would you appreciate someone doing that at your place? Is this something you would condone fishermann? If so, I fear for your priviledge to continue trapping as this state gets more populated. I think the act of trespassing and poaching is what is uncalled for in this situation.

I think he's just venting a little bit Fish.Sounds like the road trapping has began and like said,with the state growing it's not going to get any better.Kind like rush hour on the Glenn.It's NEVER going to get any better,only worse!

dkwarthog-Do a stake out and turn them suckers in!!

Default youre right steve

Yup, just venting a bit. Not to mention, I've been scoping out some of those places for snagging a fox or two myself. Heck, I pay the property taxes and the mortgage, I guess I feel like Im entitled to trapping my own property... when the season opens. If/when the "trapper" comes back I will turn him in. BTW, is it legal in 14B to set traps without identification? I didnt see it in the regs except in other units. Just curious why it would be only for certain units. It would seem that the more populated areas would require trap tags.

No trap tags required.Good luck gettin some fox!By the way,Fish is a good guy and a WEALTH of info on fox trapping,he is just used to being a mod on Trapperman and keeping us straight over there.

Apologies to the Moderator for the quasi cursing...Fisher, nothing personal. I've read and learned from your posts in the past. I'm not saying that you advocate for this kind of behaviour. My only point beyond venting is that its this type of stuff that turns folks against trapping and trappers should think before setting a trap just like you should think before you pull the trigger on a questionable moose,etc.

Default I agree

I agree that it makes us look bad dk. I do not agree with this at all. Did you call the troopers? I would do that first and foremost so they have records of it. I do not agree with it, It would make me mad as well. I just think the post was done in a little bit of poor taste, I see it has been cleaned up a bit, thats good.

Good luck catching them, because they DO give us all a bad name.

I agree with the point of this, I am not a trapper but I witnessed one decimate a beaver colony in a well used area near hatchers pass about 10 years ago. My family and dozens of others had been going back in there for years and hunting grouse and moose and always enjoyed the beavers and the ducks that came to the many large ponds they created. long story short they dug out all the dams, placed a bunch of traps, killed all the beavers and drained the swamp. Ten years later no beavers no ducks and just a small creek remains. The harvest was probably legal but why upset so many people and ruin a heavily used recreation area that close to town?

Default Get him

I hope you "catch" this guy. This poachers, not a trapper, actions are illegal and should be dealt with severely. Please let us know if you catch this guy.

I would be as upset as you dkwarthog if this scumbag was on my land.

Yea, I did contact F&G and let them know. Unfortunately, I was just following on top of his foot prints since I wasnt expecting to find traps so it will be really obvious from the road that the trap was found. Its probably unlikely that the poacher will even get out of his truck since Im sure he knows hes trapping illegal so it may be a long shot to identify him... I do however have a few sets of eyes watching while Im not around...

P.S. Trapping is a Priveledge not a right...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default yep

Your right Powder it is, just like your hunting, fishing, ability to get on an airplane, ability to go to college etc...

Default Any luck

Any luck with catching the poacher?

Default no, not YET

I came VERY close to nabbing him. He came in to check his traps (on my property) but turned around boogied out of there immediately after he saw his snares were gone and just as I was heading down to confront him. I wish I had put up a game camera to get a photo of him. Oh well, I know he's setting traps in other areas around my place so maybe I'll run into him.

Default soo close

Darn. I wish you could of nailed the poacher. Let us know if you do get this jerk.

I do not know why he would of taken off like that. All that you wanted was to offer him a cup of coffee and his teeth back after you knocked em out.