Thread: a litttle help please?

Default a litttle help please?

I have been to jim creek, saw tracks but no rabbitts. Been just past knick river on the flats no luck at all there. and sutton with in early october good luck with growse but no rabbits. now i am trying king river with no luck. am I in the wrong places or just need to learn how to get these rascly rabbits. could some one give me a couple pointers please?

I have tried west of the glen at the knik pull off and saw nothing. I think that going east would be more productive especialy near the AK RR tracks. As far as methods I am not the best source for that but I will tell you what I have observed. We have been jumping them in thick brush mixed with tall grass. For each one we have flushed I would estimate 25 were missed hiding within just a few feet. The most success we had was forming a close skirmish line 15-25 feet apart with 2-3 guys and working slowly. Most of the bunnies we flushed would jump at 5-15 feet out and some could be stopped by whistling. My budy is very good at this technique but I found it easier to stop them with my 12 guage. Basically the main thing I have found is that if you can walk comfortably without ducking, climbing or pushing through brush and grass you probably won't see many bunnies.

thanks, I geusse Its never easy if you want to get them. I think pushing through the alders some might be the ticket.

Default knike

the flats are great for rabbits. hope over the tracks on teh east side of teh highway and go a cuple miles in. although it is still a bit early to try slogging around back there. wait for the freeze to set in. makes getting around back there much easier u can cross all the marshes and bogs. i have done nothing when it comes to grouse out there. have always cleaned up on rabbits very rare that i don't get a least one. stick with knike just give it a little more time to freeze. the access there gets hunted a lot so u are going to have to go a little further in to have any luck.

I have seen exactly 1 grouse back there and we were literaly in the middle of getting a rabbit when it flushed. We didn't try and follow it I figure if I have only seen one in there not killing it is best for the area. I also agree about better hunting after the freeze up my buddy likend it to shooting Carrs bags hung up at the base of brush. Last year they got their limit in under three hours 3 guys 15 rabbits total.

Default pretty much

me and a buddy would usually go out in the evening after work and in 2-4 hours we would usually bag any where from 4-10. very rarely we would get skunked. but u can't get them every time. we would always see them just not always able to get a shot off. either they woudl be to far out or would take off and we would lose them. u definatly have to beat the bush to get them. we found the best hunting was in the evening about a hour before sunset up till twillight was thinking about trying to do some predator calling out there for coyotes. got a frined bringin his foxpro up when he moves. wanted to give it a try. any one had luck callin out on the flats?

Very interested in the predator calling as well I have not seen the predator sign in the areas that I hunt I think they are so secret that even mr yote doesn't know about them! I will know more when we get some snow for tracking. I have a couple of mouth calls and a crystal river electric handheld call that I am going to give it a try with. I have got one coyote response on the locator call but was just playing and probably had the place to tracked up to get one to actually come in. Besides didn't have my cannon with me and wouldn't like to get a bear in hungry with nothin but #6 in the blunderbuss and my .22 S&W auto on my hip. On a side note I use the 22 pistol to finish bunnies and I will say that the CCI maxi HP do a disturbing amount of damage in close! I havent been able to recover a slug but I have done a double take on some of the exit wounds. If I go missing out on the flats you guys should have no problem finding the bear he will have 6 bald spots and 10 .22 rounds about the head and shoulders. I always feel safe but my father in law got a 7 foot griz sow out of there a few years back so they are there.

there is sign out there can;t see it in the summer but when u have good snow cover u see the tracks. mostly yotes. i have seen then crossing the highway and in the distance and on the flats so i know they are out there. u usually use my 12 guage works pretty good in the thick stuff. carry a ruger 22 straight 6 on my hip for those shots that are a bit to far for the old boomstick. usually just my hand to finish the little critters off. like i told my buddy when i was first showing him the ropes. it is jsut like opening a pickle jar grab squeeze adn twist. little morbid i know but effective. i'm usually only out there in teh winter so bears have never been to much of a fear. seen a fair amount of moose mostly cows with calves. i get more worried about guys out there. i can jsut see it comin gettin winged by some other hunters round.

saw a bull with a harem out the the other day good to know they are breeding. I have also seen some good scrapes

Default moose

yeah i thought about trying out there for moose this fall. but never managed to make it. i'm just waiting it out for the freeze. it needsto come soon cause i got a bad case of elmer fudd syndrom. need to get me some wascaly wabbits. could come any time now if this nov is like last nov it should hit here in the next week or two. cause last nov was dam cold.

The rabbits are in there. The knik area is pretty good. Ive tried calling the area for coyotes several times, At night, day, e callers, hand callers ect. never had any luck. It gets called hard back there. Ive heard people and seen people calling on several occasions.

probably have good luck setting up a treestand along the riverbank waiting on one to come on through.