Thread: Regularly Scheduled Commercial Openers

Default Regularly Scheduled Commercial Openers

I know that there are emergency commericial openers on the Kenai, but based on the material on the ADF&G Commercial Fishing website for Upper Cook Inlet (UPI), it says that there are "two regularly scheduled openers" per week for the Kenai commercial fishery. In the past, those two regular commercial days have always fallen on two days of the week, like Monday and Thursday.

Does anyone know what the current regularly scheduled commercial openers are for the Kenai? This info will help us avoid those days when the hords of commfishing boats shut down the action at Kenai. Man, that is frustrating. Much thanks.

(I know that emergency openers can happen anytime, but it would be nice to know when the regular days are.)

Default Commercial Openers

We checked yesterday and they're scheduled for Monday & Thursday again this year.

Thumbs up Commercial hot-line...

You can call 262-9611 for recorded, nearly-daily-updated information on the commercial fishery: times, emergency orders, and more.

Default EO's

Is there any rhyme or reason to the emergency openings? Or, any way to predict them or when they will absolutely not happen? I'm getting tired of doing a suicide trip down from Palmer just to find out there was an EO!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Smile Last resort...

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud
    Is there any rhyme or reason to the emergency openings? Or, any way to predict them or when they will absolutely not happen? I'm getting tired of doing a suicide trip down from Palmer just to find out there was an EO!
    As far as I know the rhyme and/or reason to the EOs is determined by Board of Fisheries mandates and fish numbers, the reasons for either known only to God. You may:
    1) call the number above (262-9611);
    2) call 262-9368 and ask for Jeff Fox (area commfish biologist);
    3) e-mail Jeff at: Jeff_Fox@fishgame.state.ak.us;
    4) use the 262-9368 number and ask for George Pappas or Larry Marsh (sportfish biologists); or
    5) e-mail George or Larry: George_Pappas@fishgame.state.ak.us, Larry_Marsh@fishgame.state.ak.us .

I thought this was interesting, at what point do they say the escapement numbers are so low that they close the dipnet fishery? Do they make an announcement on the river or is it just word of mouth?

Smile river closure

The rumor on the street, which is from pretty good sources, is that the PU fishery will close Friday night if the escapement does not pick up today or by tommorrow night. Look for news announcements which should make the paper, the radio, and the T.V. Big news when the fisheries on the Kenai close. Also, you can call the hotlines and look on the web. Usually, ADF&G gives two days notice of a closure so by tommorrow night you should know if the rumor is correct.