Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Large sheep

Default Large sheep

There was apparently an exceptional sheep taken this year out of the Brooks, 46.25 x 14.88. Has anyone heard any info on this, was it a guided ram, resident?...Either way, when you crunch the numbers and look at past records, this is phenomenal. These are the largest numbers I can find of any ram recorded with f&g in recent years; hard park, DS102, even go as far as the Kluane First Nation Dall Sheep permit from the last 2 years. If these numbers are correct, it could be the largest dall shot since Sherwin Scott's ram in '84, excluding the two 183-184 rams that came out of the Brooks the same year some 15 years ago and were not entered into B&C. While I do not have access to all numbers, history, and info, I would be really happy to hear that this is true. And I would hope that if anyone has info on where this ram was taken, keep it under your hat. For those of us who have worked to develop an area, we understand the how painstaking it can be...guided or unguided. Congrats to whoever the hunter was.

The lenght on the long side might be 46 plus but i dought the bases will go 14.88, if it's the same ram were talking about,it was shot by a long time alaskan and a x guide,send me you personal e-mail and i'll send you the picture.

can you post a picture, I would like to see a picture also.

I'm sure a bunch of us would like to see this massive ram, if you have the time, Sheepman.

Rick

Smile Brooks Range Ram

Here is the Brooks Range Ram taken this last year.

I heard that it green scored 177.

I included my cousins sheep from 2006. 45x44

Sincerely,

Thomas
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kaboku68; 05-02-2008 at 11:32.

Thomas, Those are some spectacular rams. I really like how the mass is carried out in the left horn on your cousin's ram. That Brooks Range ram has incredible drop and he looks old. Looks to be nearly blind in the right eye. Incredible.

Stoneriver: I saw that ram in the harvest data too. Something about it doesn't seem right to me, but I'll withold my judgment.

Smile Ed Rasmussen's Ram First Nations Hunt 06

This is the ram that Ed Rasmussen shot last year in the First Nation's hunt.

I guess there is a bigger one shot this year.

You want a truly monster sheep this is where to go.

Sincerely,

Thomas

Smile Chugach Ram

You all heard about this ram taken in the Chugach last year.

The guy is also from Valdez and won the top sheep award in Eastman's Hunting.

Sincerely,

Thomas
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default great rams

It's always satisfying to see that hunters still find great rams! One thing that never changes--from Sherwin Scott's ram (talked with Sherwin about it last week) to the latest monster--is that "we" all wonder "where." This, I think is natural curiousity, but the more interesting human aspect of the question (for me) is that "we" all doubt. Even if we know the hunters to be ethical and moral people, I find it interesting that our innate suspicion plus the folklore about "where the big ones are" always lead us to question whether the reported location is "true."

I know that when "Marty and T-Craft" shot those huge Brooks Range rams that were not entered in the book (referenced above), a major investigation was triggered through FWP because of suspicions that, because the sheep were "that big" they couldn't have possibly been taken in the Brooks Range, and were probably taken illegally. Never any real proof, just human suspicions. Those hunters went through considerable tribulation and harrassment from doubters who had the capacity to hurt them. Nothing ever came of it but wasted enforcement effort and bad feelings.

When I talked with Sherwin Scott last week at the Nat. FNAWS Board meeting, he seemed blissfully unaware that his monster sheep (even though he had hunted with a known bandit-who he didn't know was a bandit at the time-he says...and the sheep was reported from a heavily hunted area which is not known to produce sheep of that size--although a FEW really nice rams approaching 40 inches have been taken there) set off a tremendous investigation. Sherwin couldn't tell me where his ram was taken beyond where the airplane took off from base camp and that the flight from there to a cabin they planned to use (which had been pillaged by a bear) was about half an hour. I tend to doubt that Sherwin knew exactly where he was...of course I'm still enough of a sheep hunter to doubt and question. I wonder if our tendency to doubt doesn't tell us more about ourselves than we'd like to admit.

I'm just glad for those folks who have particularly satisfying experiences in hunting Dall sheep. I always pretend that I might have had something to do with their success (more human vanity?), and it makes me feel extra good.

Would like contact information for those hunters to see if they'd like to participate in a FNAWS-sponsored story telling someday. Does anybody trust me enough to give me a hand in contacting these people. We'll all probably be skeptical, but we should all honestly celebrate rams (and hunters) of this caliber.

Wayne

Default Brooks Range

The Brooks Range has produced several large sheep over the years.

I think there is a guide service Ruby Ridge Outfitters that hit a 45" ram four years ago with a client.

My guess is that there is an area on the very Eastern edge of the Brooks that can produce big sheep. It might be from this area where the Webb and Zack rams that were in the 1980's were taken.

I heard that it was a real hassle for those guys to go through the two tiers of measurement which was why they entered them and the rams are found in the 10th Edition of B.C but they are not found in the current edition.

It is too bad because those two are monsters from which all Brooks Range Rams should be measured by. I will try to find pictures of them as I have them someplace.

The draw system in the 13D/14A areas will probably displace many of the more dedicated resident hunters in the Chugach but if I was a betting man and sadly I am not, I would bet money that several more large Brooks Range rams will be taken in the near future.

Sincerely,

Thomas

What is this "First Nations" hunt you all are talking about? I've never heard of it before.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    What is this "First Nations" hunt you all are talking about? I've never heard of it before.
    The First Nations hunt is a permit that has been auctioned off in recent years to hunt sheep on some native land over in the Kluane area. Apparently there has been no sheep hunting in that area for a while and some nice rams have been killed there. I think Ed paid over 100K for his permit.

Oh, I thought we were talking about Alaska sheep hunting, thats what had me confused. I know all about the First Nations hunt in Canada, thought there was one up here after seeing this thread. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

Default Where?

"My guess is that there is an area on the very Eastern edge of the Brooks that can produce big sheep. It might be from this area where the Webb and Zack rams that were in the 1980's were taken."

Yes, all three rams were taken from the same area...in fact the same valley - but not in the eastern Brooks. There are large rams in the eastern Brooks but the population is much more sp**** than for instance the "central Brooks". Lastly, if memory serves me correctly, the Webb and Zack rams were taken in '91 or '92 based on the original pictures in the then current "The Ram". I do not know where the most current large Brooks Range ram was harvested from.
    Last edited by shphtr; 10-30-2007 at 15:44. Reason: don't understand sp****???!!!

Default book

Wayne:
    What about FNAWS contracting with someone to contact the hunters of these big sheep harvested and use the pictures and stories that are available to publish a book on Alaskan Dall Sheep hunting as a fundraiser for FNAWS? Or is that what you were thinking? Sounds like I would pm Kaboku68 as he knows the names of the hunters and even contact info...
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Default reflection

Reflecting on my post from yesterday, I think that not only I, but everyone who cares about sheep and has "hit a lick" for Dall sheep management should feel good about these great rams being harvested. I didn't mean to suggest that anyone infer I think these successes are just "my fault." Everyone who cares should feel good whenever there's a success. Alaska's Dall sheep hunters should feel particularly good. Without "us" this certainly would not be occurring.

With regard to a history of spectacular sheep stories: I think that's a great idea, and I am particularly interested in because it falls under one of the FNAWS objectives. (they are on our new website--see below) The Alaska FNAWS Chapter will try to get something moving on it as an information project. Of course, it will take money, and we'll have to get that first. Still, the idea is the most important thing. I have a sort of standing appointment with Thomas about a bunch of these things when we both get time. We'll let you know how it goes.

My immediate request was for good photos and permission for Alaska FNAWS to use them. Our new website <www.alaskafnaws.org> came online last night. It's a "first effort," and will change rapidly for a while. It's under construction. I know there are pictures of sheep that don't happen to be from Alaska on it. They were just "available" (Stone sheep and the like) from the National FNAWS archives. We need to get those replaced with good photos from Alaska. If any of you have some and can give us permission to use them, we would love it. Contact us by email at <alaskafnaws@hotmail.com> or send me a personal message. We'd love to use some of the great photos from this thread. Can't pay much, but will give full credit.

Thanks to all of "us" for making it work...even as well as it does. We can do better!

Wayne

Default one more thing re: measuring horns

When I was talking with Sherwin last week, he mentioned that his ram is not in the book because of the measuring hassles. He eventually just shrugged it off because B&C was 'intractactible with respect to reason' for the second tier of measuring. (Sherwin has a vocabulary that won't quit!) At least that's what he told me.

I don't actually understand all that drives record books and awards, but discussing the measuring protocol with Sherwin did raise a question that nobody on the National FNAWS Board could readily answer.

My question: Why wait 60 days for a measurement? The animal is closest to what "it was" when alive immediately after it is harvested. I suggest that "anything" that happens after that introduces variability. I've heard that some folks wrap horns in wet towells and freeze them, some encase in fibeglass and freeze etc. I know it might make some sense to have a standard "waiting period" when comparing with past measurements, but who cares? I can't see why we aren't most interested in what the animal was when it was alive. Got answers?

Wayne

Default $100k?

Holy smokes! That's a hell of a lot of money to pay for a hunt of any kind. Glad to see that he at least got a trophy. With $100K, I could hunt sheep for the rest of my life.

It was more than 100 large, but I don't remember the exact amount. There are quite a few hunters out there who don't consider that an unreasonable amount to spend. Check the price of an Altai Argali hunt or desert bighorn hunt in Mexico. Even a stone sheep hunt in Canada is getting into the upper 20s now.

Default Won't have any competition from me....

No worryies about me booking one of the hunts before they have the time. Military paycheck won't support that and I don't have any rich relatives to assist in the funding.....

Not sure I'd enjoy that kind of hunt anyways. I like my hunt camp comraderie and all the lies the guys try to sell about the one that got away!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast