Thread: RONG about the Lee Case Trimmer??

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default RONG about the Lee Case Trimmer??

Anyone who knoweth:

The instructions on the the LEE Case Trimmer read as follows.

"Lock deprimed case in shell holder with the lock stud. Insert pilot into the case with pin in flash hole and rotate until it stops cutting. If no metal is removed case does not need trimming."

It don't say nuthin there, about ADJUSTING the Pilot in the cutter, so I naturally assumed,,,

that it's Length, inside the case, with the pin resting in the primer hole was the gauge, WHEN it was screwed all the way into the cutter,,,,

that it would then cut until the pilot wouldn't let it continue,,,,

And, that the case length would end up somewhere near the trim length for that particular cartridge, 280 Rem. in this instance.

Howsomever, when I used it that way, it done cut way too much off my 280 Remington case. The good news is that I only overly shortened ONE case.

Am I sposed to adjust the case trimmer, or is my 280 Remington Case Length gauge out of specs. ????

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Do you have the correct pilot? It should say .280 where the pilot screws into the cutter. The pilot is supposed to be stopped by the locking stud. Have you measured either the pilot or case with a ruler or just the gage? Something's wrong, you just have to find out where.

Oh, the pilot should be screwed ALL THE WAY into the cutter. There shouldn't be any adjustment.

You did everything right, something is messed up along the way.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

.338-06:
    I figgered it out and came back to confess, and gotcher message.

I didnít do everything right. I didnít use the locking stud, or shell holder, because I had the mistaken belief that the gauging would take place when the pilot was at the bottom of the case. I was just holding the case in my fingers, and turning the cutter.

Instead, as youíve pointed out, the pilot is stopped by the pin contacting the locking stud.

Iím sure thatís better, since there may be variances in the case web thick nesses.

Thanks for your help.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.