Thread: New to ice fishing...

Default New to ice fishing...

I have always been more of a summertime saltwater fisherman, but recently i got a cabin up near big lake and am going to get into the exciting world of ice fishing. I am just writing to ask what to use and any special tips or tricks to ice fishing. bait vs. lure. what kind of bait? where to get an auger and shanty. anything to help a new guy" out. Thanks my fellow fishermen/women. any help is greatly appreciated!

steve
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 10-29-2007 at 20:22. Reason: language

Steve,

These guys here will be great help, and another good source would be the Alaskan section of Iceshanty.com

Let us know when ya get the holes drilled.

First, I'd like to point you in the right direction of scouting out where you are gonna do your ice fishing at. It looks like you are in Anchorage, so here is a link to get you started: http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state...on/MgtAreaID/1

Next, you can get an Auger at sports stores such as Sportsman's Warehouse or even at Wal Mart on occasions. Something to think about when you are getting an auger is the species of fish you are targeting. Auger's usually come in 3 diameters : 8", 10", and 12" The bigger the fish the bigger the hole simply because it really sux to fight a fish and lose him on the lip of the ice hole because it was too small. I personally use a 10" because it just suits pretty much all species. Augers run from $199 to $399 depending on the make, horsepower, cutting diameter, etc.

Bait versus lures....it really depends on what the fish are into. I've caught fish through the ice on shrimp, salmon eggs, corn, small jigs, and small spoons. The best of those, for me, are shrimp and the small spoons. Typically, the bigger fish have always been on the spoons that I've vertically jigged.

You can also pick up portable Ice Shanties at the same place you get the auger. There are regulations for building and posting semi-permanent shacks. You can find those regulations can be found at ADF&G. I searched the ADF&G website to find them but to no avail.

I'm quite sure that others will respond. I've posted what works for me and where I think you can find the stuff to help you out. Good luck and I hope you pull a big one right out of your ICEhole.

Undoubtedly others have differing opinions, but my personal experience with ice fishing is that SMALL lures/bait fished slowly or even still near the bottom seem to produce well enough for me to keep fishing that way.

Default Ice House Regulation....

This is the blurb that I found in the Regulation pertaining to Ice Houses.

"
    ICE HOUSES
    All ice houses not removed from the ice at the end of a day’s fi shing must be
    registered and a permit obtained from ADF&G. Each registered ice house must
    have its permit number displayed on its side and roof in distinguishable numbers
    at least 12 inches in height. Ice houses must be removed from all water bodies
    by April 30."

Welcome too the ice! here's what I like, a portable shanty to get out of the wind (heater helps if ya want to take the wife and kid along, I had Gunther in the shanty the first time when he was 4 weeks old) A decent auger, used to like a hand auger but I've been eying a power auger more and more. A middle of the road rod and reel with very light action, it's amazing how lightly a really big fish can bite in the winter. And a box of tear drops and jigging spoons. I usually fish bait in one hole and jig in the other. Most folks up here use shrimp as bait to the exclusion of any other type, this is a mistake! Yes most of the winter shrimp dose work well but in mid winter a wax worm on tear drop fished close the the bottom will provide better results. When in question I rig one rod with one bait and the other with something different. A depth finder can be useful but is definitely not necessary. Drop me a PM if you'd like too hit the ice together sometime.