Thread: Moose Rack Taxidermist

Default Moose Rack Taxidermist

I did not have time to look through threads to see if this question exists already. I have a friend looking to get a skull/plaque mount done for his son. He is looking for a consistent finish on the antlers, a good quality hard wood plaque, and a buckskin cover over the skull.
    He is not looking for anything fancy, but his last mount done for his daughter just did not turn out that good. He is not in a hurry for it to be completed, but wants to get the process started now.
    Who do you recommend in either the Fairbanks or Anchorage area that does good work? Shipping the antlers either direction is not a problem.
    Thanks folks.

Browe-Tine Taxidermy does a great job in North Pole. Very nice guy and you get your stuff back in a timely manner. If you need a phone number just let me know. He has my goat right now and he also mounted my sheep.

Default just my thoughts

alaska wilderness studio in anchorage or tundra taxidermy out of big lake

Default foxy beaver

Foxy Beaver taxy in the valley does very good work!!! and is very well priced!!!

Knight here in Anchorage does a outstanding job! They have a couple of color choices on the covering and wood also.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lone Wolf Taxidermy in Eagle River. He does outstanding work and gives 10% discount to military. He did my daughter's cariboou and it was great.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Back Country Taxidermy here in Anchorage. http://www.backcountrytaxidermy.com
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Big Shot Taxidermy in Anchorage

Big Shot Taxidermy here in Anchorage. (907)350-0747
    Great at antler plaques

Dan Foster @ Foster Taxidermy in Wasilla does 1st rate work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    Lone Wolf Taxidermy in Eagle River. He does outstanding work and gives 10% discount to military. He did my daughter's cariboou and it was great.
    I like the use of engraving instead of a stick on or pin on label. Military discount too!

Default Do it yourselfer

Completely understand you are looking for a taxidermist but your friend could very easily do it himself and save some money for another hunt. It's as simple as putting on your shoes.

In case you are wondering, yes I am a hobbyist taxidermist and the antler stain, plaque and basic instructions can be ordered from McKenzie's or Van Dykes taxidermist supply companies. Hell, Cabela's probably even carries the material.

Default DIY

I did this one myself, not hard at all. Willing to give some pointers.

Steve

Goody, I love my friend like a brother, but he wears slip on shoes because he has trouble with the laces. Doing a mount is not in the cards. Really though, he is working out of ANC, goes to the bush regularly, and tries to get back into FAI to see his lovely wife. With his schedule and the fact his apartment is small in ANC he would not be able to do it himself.
    So far we have a bunch of names of taxidermists, but no seconds or thirds on any of them. Maybe I should have done this more as a poll. I am grateful for the feedback all of you have given. I'll pass on names and numbers and let him make the decision as to where he want to go. Antler mounts should not be that difficult all in all, so when you get a bad one, seems like somebody really goofed.
    The rack itself is not overly special. It is close to 48" and has brow palms with about 4 points on either side. The neat thing is the boys grandfather called in the moose. That is what makes this one so special. I guess I just get sentimental over things like that, not the rack itself, so want like heck for the final product to turn out nice.

Default Our friends might need to get together!

Glad to know we have something in common! Understand completely about wanting it right due to the memories it will bring. I wish I could give you a second or third opinion but unfortunately I haven't put anything on the wall that I haven't done.