Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FOXPRO game calls

Question FOXPRO game calls

I have been looking into electronic calls and these foxpro units look like a quality stuff with lots of sounds. My question is how well do the batteries fair in the cold, would a person rather use alkaline batteries or the nicad rechargeables through foxpro, or is there a preferance on cold weathers batteries? Thanks,
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

I have yet to try mine in the cold but the research I did before I purchased was to use lithium Ions. Seems to work good in all my other electronics.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

I've used my foxpro the last three seasons. Only change the batteries once a year (if it doesn't get left on) and haven't had any problems in the cold. I use whatever batteries are available. The only problems I've had with mine is that it's the older version with the integrated on/off/volume knob. It would turn on real easy in my backpack and run the batteries down that way.

The thing I like about foxpro is they make ALASKA sounds. Snowshoe, magpies, ravens, wolf howls.... and the like, versus jack rabbit and crow like most of the others. I've heard "woodpecker in distress" is deadly for fox. Didn't hear that til it was too late.

ironartist,
    I didn't see this one until scrolling back awhile. The FoxPro's work great up here. I've had mine out down to -30 without any issues. I've run different batteries in mine and they all work fine. What model of FoxPro are you looking at? Their new Scorpion is absolutely great for calling up here. It fits in your pocket and you can plug in an external speaker if you need more sound. The Ni-MH rechargeable batteries have run over 4 hours and kept going strong. I always carry an extra pack of Ni-MH batteries with me, but haven't needed them yet. The Li-Ion battery packs work excellent too, but they are pricey and they don't fit inside the FoxPro, so you have to plug them into the recharging jack and tape or strap the battery to the caller. I'm very familiar with the FoxPro and all of their sounds. If you have any questions don't hesitate to pick my brain.

Default Scorpion

I just got a FoxPro Scorpion for Christmas and have yet to try it out. Everything I'm seeing so far has me impressed. I kinda ran out of ideas of what sounds to get put on it since you can get it pre-programmed with 100. I got the NiMH rechargeables and the quick charger with it. I guess I'm not quite as hardcore as some because when it's below zero I can find things I'd rather do than plant my arse in a snowbank. With the warmer weather we've had lately, I'm thinking about the possibility of going out this weekend. Not sure where I'll go, but I'm sure I'll figure out somewhere around Fairbanks to go educate some vermin.
    Last edited by MToutdoorsman; 01-18-2008 at 02:43. Reason: specifics
    NRA Life Member, Prior F-16 crew chief.

You'll like the Scorpion, I love mine and it's worked great down to -34F.
    I have yet for the batteries to die on two solid days of hunting. I just run the Ni-MH that came with the caller. Did you get an external speaker for the Scorpion? If you haven't, and find you need more volume, look at FoxPro's SP-55. That little thing is super loud and small enough to easily carry on the snowmachine on a handlebar bag. Good luck with the calling, Fairbanks areas have been tough this year. Maybe this new dumping of snow will help.

You guys having any success with calling critters in with your Foxpro's? I got the FX3, used it a few times, but have yet to see anything.

Matt,
    I've had Fox, Coyotes and Lynx come in to the FoxPro. I've had wolves respond, but no takers yet. Either that, or I got too cold and had to get moving again.

Quote Originally Posted by snowcamoman View Post
    Matt,
    I've had Fox, Coyotes and Lynx come in to the FoxPro. I've had wolves respond, but no takers yet. Either that, or I got too cold and had to get moving again.
    That's good to know. You have any particular sound that seems to work the best for you when you call these critters in? Or you just mix it up?

I have a similar call with nicad rechargeables and they work fine. I think that since they are digital they don't use much power.

Matt,
    The FoxPro new Mark II sounds (Snowshoe High Pitch, Snowshoe 1 & 2, along with the Lightning Jack) have worked. If you don't have the new Mark II sounds on your caller, get all of the rabbits, coyotes, fox, and a bunch of the Birds. Those new sounds are some of the best I've heard. I also have a bunch of Wildlife Tech. and Johnny Stewart sounds on my Scorpion and some of those have worked as well.

I have read most of the Fox Pro threads so far, I guess its time to rehash this as the hubby would like a new predator call. Which one, if you had to choose one, would you buy? Looks like there is a new one called the Fury out?

Thanks for any information!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default Fx 5

Its a bit more but has lots a storage, and I recomend you buy it from foxpro so you can get loaded what you want, don't have to upgrade like I am gonna
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

I just got the fox pro scorpion from sportsmans. Nice unit, good sound and 100 preprogramed sounds with room for a 100 more. They are not cheap but seems to be a quality unit.

If you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay for the Scorp?
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default cold

How do those foxpros work in the cold, and the extreme cold? I use a Sceery reed call that I just keep inside my parka, and only make sort calls on it when is cold. Otherwise the reed breaks and its useless. Been looking at electronics but Im concerned with them working in the cold.

Default electronic callers

make your own. About 40 dollars in radio shack parts and an MP3 player(mine was about 30 bucks for a 4 gig player). I have over 100 sounds on mine and can add as many as my mp3 player will hold and I am not even a third of the way to filling mine up. (My dogs don't mind the lion but the Jackal sends them down the hall, I have allot of animals on mine, ones that I'll never use but goof with them now and again) I also can make my own sequences with sound editing software. I have sequences with ravens and magpies kicking up just as the rabbit fades, silence then as the magpie starts again the rabbit kicks back in almost like he's pecking on him. I also have some that have the rabbit with a coyote kicking up in the background. those are just parts of the sequence but you get the idea. I have 16 and 20 min sequences already set up so I don't have to fool with any sound changing unless I want too. Sounds just as good as the fox-pro and you can make it wireless like the fox-pro for another $150. That adds to about a 400 dollar savings and a customized soundtrack. I can play as many sounds at one time as I want if I just add them into the track. runs off a 9volt battery, easily replaceable. It gets just as loud as the fox-pro if not louder. I use a hand warmer for added insurance against the cold, and have never had any problems with or without the hand warmer. However I have never used it at Fairbanks Temps. I used hand calls when I lived there. I have all the info if anyone wants it right down to the part numbers you need at radio shack. I picked up all the parts in Wasilla

Default audio tracks

Arrowslinger,

Where did you get the audio to put on the MP3 player? This is an excellent idea.

Default byrd hntr

sent you a pm, I have a bunch of links for putting this together

Default anyone wanting the info

anyone wanting the info send me an actual e-mail address. It is easier to use the links from your e-mail than through the forum and have found that sometimes when I send them through a P.M. they don't work. Mine is jon333@mtaonline.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast