Thread: Buffalo Caliber and info?

Default Buffalo Caliber and info?

What is the minimum caliber for a buffalo hunt?
    Will a 300 RUM do the job-what grain bullet/kind is preferrable?
    I'm looking to get really and draw for a tag but now just trying to get some info beforehand.
    Any/all info on this would be greatly appreciated.

The state requirement for ballistics used in a bison hunt is a minimum of a 200 grain bullet that maintains 2,000 ft/lbs of energy at 100 yards. The minimum firearm that can be used is a 30.06 with a 220 grain bullet. With this in mind a 200 or 220 grain RUM bullet will do the job with a well placed shot. As for the tag..It takes years, sometimes decades to be drawn for the bison tag. Good luck. You never know, its better odds than winning the lottery! I drew a Delta tag this year and I leave on Friday. It was only my third time in six years that I put in for the hunt.

If you have a 300 RUM, then just load up some 180-grain or 200-grain Barnes TSX bullets and go kill one. Finding the 'perfect' cartridge and bullet combo is the easy part, getting the tag on the other hand, well . . .

A 30-06 is a sufficient caliber with the correct bullet weight. A few years back my wife was lucky enough to draw a permit and one shot from her 06 did the job nicely. Knowing the rifles performance with the heavier bullets is important before taking the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by duntov302 View Post
    What is the minimum caliber for a buffalo hunt?
    Will a 300 RUM do the job-what grain bullet/kind is preferrable?
    I'm looking to get really and draw for a tag but now just trying to get some info beforehand.
    Any/all info on this would be greatly appreciated.
    A 300 rum should do just fine. I would load up some 200 grain Barnes tsx bullets but that is just me.

The minimun for Delta Bison is a 30 cal over 200 grain with 2000 pounds of energy at 100 yards.

This can be done with a 200 grain 30 cal at 2400 F.P.S. or in other words a 308 win with a 200 grain bullet.

I would use the excuse to get a 45-70. It would be soo cool to take one with a rolling block rifle but a lever would be next on my list...Or you could just load up some 200 grain TSX in the RUM, it lacks the nostalgia but would definitely do the job.