Thread: 375 Ruger New Info

Default 375 Ruger New Info

Anyone out there picked up one of the new 375 Rugers yet. I am thinking about getting one but want to find out if it is worth it to get instead of the 375 H&H.

I'm also keen to shoulder/play with one soon.
    If they shoulder/feel anything like the new timber Hawkeye's, it'll be a winner in the 375 department.

Checkout this video from Ruger, Scrolldown & find the 375Ruger video's =
    By the looks of things Ruger has just added more video's, very professional indeed!

http://ruger.com/Firearms/N-RugerTV.html#

I checked out the safari hawkeye rifle and shouldered it and it is a great feeling as well as great looking rifle. My concern is the trigger. I have owned a couple of ruger rifles and think the triggers sucked: too much creep and too heavy for my taste. The Hawkeye has the new LC6 trigger and there is little info on it available. Is it adjustable. Has it been improved over the older model 77 heavy, loose, sloppy triggers of the past. Also, how does the gun handle since it is two plus pounds lighter than the standard 375 H&H. I have found some info stating that the performance of the cartrige rivals the H&H with equal performance out of a 4 inch shorter barrel. However, I would like some first hand info to help me decide.

Default The new Ruger Hawkeye African....

Quote Originally Posted by OKElkHunter View Post
    I checked out the safari hawkeye rifle and shouldered it and it is a great feeling as well as great looking rifle. My concern is the trigger. I have owned a couple of ruger rifles and think the triggers sucked: too much creep and too heavy for my taste. The Hawkeye has the new LC6 trigger and there is little info on it available. Is it adjustable. Has it been improved over the older model 77 heavy, loose, sloppy triggers of the past. Also, how does the gun handle since it is two plus pounds lighter than the standard 375 H&H. I have found some info stating that the performance of the cartrige rivals the H&H with equal performance out of a 4 inch shorter barrel. However, I would like some first hand info to help me decide.
    I'll try to condense my opinion of the 375 Ruger caliber and the rifles made for it. The African model is one of the best balanced and best proportioned rifles that has ever come from a box. Weight, balance, barrel length and weight all very good. Stock dimensions were for me very good for a non custom stock.

The Ruger bedding system and the poor quality of the wood and the shape and dimensions of this walnut stock served to break not one but two stocks from recoil. Yes I know how to mount a Ruger in a stock but they still broke. I sent it back for replacement it was gone for 19 days and 11 of that was transit time back, they mistakingly sent it UPS ground. They sent a prepaid UPS label both times for me to return it. The second was about 15 days from me, back to me. It took only 38 rounds to break the stock at the wrist the first time and 66 rounds to break it the second time. The attractive red rubber pad on the butt does't soak up very much recoil and it is a punishing rifle for more than twenty shots and I am accustomed to shooting heavy rifles. The Ruger stock(s) are D-.

I thought the trigger was a joke at first, but after further evaluation and after taking it apart several times and with very minor stoning it became one of the best trigger pulls I have ever had on a hunting rifle. It is not adjustable but is quite light with the factory spring and even with it's 3# pull it was very safe. I could never bump it off or cause it to drop the sear ever no matter what I did. It is simple in design with few moving parts and it is very reliable. It is better by design than the "New Model 70 redesigned trigger". I sold the rifle at the latest and largest midwest gunshow and before we parted probably thirty people tried the trigger and thought it was some kind of an after market trigger. It was just a Ruger. The Ruger trigger is A+.

The 375 cartridge is as advertised. It will give 2600 fps from 300 grain bullets from a 20" barrel. (375 H&H is about 2550 from 24") The ballistics are all of the 375 Wby ballistics with a slight edge. I owned three of the Rugers, 2 Alaskan versions with the 20" barrrel and one African with 23" and I assure you the cartridge will perform very well. My African version would put 300 grain round nose hornady's and/or partitions into the same hole at 100 yards it was a very good shooting rifle. Easily 3/4 MOA rifle. (This with a McMillan stock properly bedded.). One of the 20" guns also shot very well, the other never did shoot for me, except for one bullet. The African did not like the all copper TSX's 270 grains at all. (I did not try 300's.) I could not get it to shoot them worth a crap (about 3") But the 20" gun that didn't shoot well put it's last five shots into about 1" with these TSX 270's. I then sold it to an observer. Thats just the way it is sometimes. I fired a total of about 350 rounds through the three rifles but possibly did not hit upon the right combo for the Barnes bullets. I have seen very good accuracy from them in the 375 H&H rifles I've had.

This African rifle is the best Ruger yet but honestly there is too much recoil there for that stock with that bedding ssystem. I did not glass bed the rifle with the original stockl, but that would have taken care of all of the problems. I did not shoot the rifle with the third factory stock on it after getting my McMillan for it and bedding it I could then wring it out with out fear of splintering it in my hands. It was also nice on the shoulder. The Hogue stock is a ... it is a ......a...well it ain't a stock. I hate it. Either the 23" or the 20" would be a great rifle with the $400+ McMillan stock on it.

There were a few other things of a minor nature that I dislike about the rifle but mostly it was a nice working gun. Very strong and rugged. I'm just in a selling down mode now and want to put money together for a double and that kind of rifle is not what I'd call a warm fuzzy keeper. So I am totally Rugerless at the present time. So that is my not so humble opinion about the Ruger Hawkeye African/Alaskan 375 Ruger rifles.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Excellent review Murphy. We need more men like you giving honest reliable opinions on new/different rigs that come out.

I for one will steer clear of the 375Ruger in these configurations now. And I'm really starting to wonder whether the 338WM/Hawkeye wouldn't do the same & split the stock?(It doesn't come standard with any cross-bolts).

Default 375 Ruger

I have the African version of the 375 Ruger and absolutely love it. I had no intentions of using the factory wood stock so I can't answer the durability question. I had an MPI stock built for it and put the wood stock in the safe. I handload the 270 gr Barnes TSX to shoot in it. It will place 5 in under an inch with me shooting at 100yds. I think if someone that could shoot shot it they could easily tighten it up. It is a dream to carry as well as shoot, with the MPI stock it is lighter than my sons model 7 300 rem.saum . If you wanted to keep the wood stock I would just have it glass bedded as Murphy suggested, money well spent for more reasons than just the durability issue. I wouldn't be scared of another

Default What didn't you like with Hogue?

Curious why you didn't like the hogue stock? My ruger laminated stock broke in my .338, and I bought the fully bedded Hogue stock. I really like it. Shoots well, and I like the feel. Can't say it makes the outfit any lighter, but I like the rubberized grip/feel of it. The recoil pad tames the recoil nicely too.
    Last edited by HuntKodiak; 10-29-2007 at 19:45. Reason: Left a word out of the title.

Default 375 Ruger

I actually had the first 375 Ruger here in Ak. as near as I can tell. It was released before the shot show with very few other guns and I got lucky and found it. It is the African model and had the wood stock. It was quite some time before the Alaskan version with the Hogue stock came out so I didn't have a choice to begin with. Also I didn't like the extra weight and wide forearm on the Hogue stock. I think that they are probably a fine stock but they just seem out of proportion on the short barreled Alaskan. I think a nice trim stock like the MPI or something like it makes a nice compact package in the 20 inch gun. But to each his own, If you like them don't let anyone elses opinion change your mind.

Default great review

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I'll try to condense my opinion of the 375 Ruger caliber and the rifles made for it. The African model is one of the best balanced and best proportioned rifles that has ever come from a box. Weight, balance, barrel length and weight all very good. Stock dimensions were for me very good for a non custom stock.

The Ruger bedding system and the poor quality of the wood and the shape and dimensions of this walnut stock served to break not one but two stocks from recoil. Yes I know how to mount a Ruger in a stock but they still broke. I sent it back for replacement it was gone for 19 days and 11 of that was transit time back, they mistakingly sent it UPS ground. They sent a prepaid UPS label both times for me to return it. The second was about 15 days from me, back to me. It took only 38 rounds to break the stock at the wrist the first time and 66 rounds to break it the second time. The attractive red rubber pad on the butt does't soak up very much recoil and it is a punishing rifle for more than twenty shots and I am accustomed to shooting heavy rifles. The Ruger stock(s) are D-.

I thought the trigger was a joke at first, but after further evaluation and after taking it apart several times and with very minor stoning it became one of the best trigger pulls I have ever had on a hunting rifle. It is not adjustable but is quite light with the factory spring and even with it's 3# pull it was very safe. I could never bump it off or cause it to drop the sear ever no matter what I did. It is simple in design with few moving parts and it is very reliable. It is better by design than the "New Model 70 redesigned trigger". I sold the rifle at the latest and largest midwest gunshow and before we parted probably thirty people tried the trigger and thought it was some kind of an after market trigger. It was just a Ruger. The Ruger trigger is A+.

The 375 cartridge is as advertised. It will give 2600 fps from 300 grain bullets from a 20" barrel. (375 H&H is about 2550 from 24") The ballistics are all of the 375 Wby ballistics with a slight edge. I owned three of the Rugers, 2 Alaskan versions with the 20" barrrel and one African with 23" and I assure you the cartridge will perform very well. My African version would put 300 grain round nose hornady's and/or partitions into the same hole at 100 yards it was a very good shooting rifle. Easily 3/4 MOA rifle. (This with a McMillan stock properly bedded.). One of the 20" guns also shot very well, the other never did shoot for me, except for one bullet. The African did not like the all copper TSX's 270 grains at all. (I did not try 300's.) I could not get it to shoot them worth a crap (about 3") But the 20" gun that didn't shoot well put it's last five shots into about 1" with these TSX 270's. I then sold it to an observer. Thats just the way it is sometimes. I fired a total of about 350 rounds through the three rifles but possibly did not hit upon the right combo for the Barnes bullets. I have seen very good accuracy from them in the 375 H&H rifles I've had.

This African rifle is the best Ruger yet but honestly there is too much recoil there for that stock with that bedding ssystem. I did not glass bed the rifle with the original stockl, but that would have taken care of all of the problems. I did not shoot the rifle with the third factory stock on it after getting my McMillan for it and bedding it I could then wring it out with out fear of splintering it in my hands. It was also nice on the shoulder. The Hogue stock is a ... it is a ......a...well it ain't a stock. I hate it. Either the 23" or the 20" would be a great rifle with the $400+ McMillan stock on it.

There were a few other things of a minor nature that I dislike about the rifle but mostly it was a nice working gun. Very strong and rugged. I'm just in a selling down mode now and want to put money together for a double and that kind of rifle is not what I'd call a warm fuzzy keeper. So I am totally Rugerless at the present time. So that is my not so humble opinion about the Ruger Hawkeye African/Alaskan 375 Ruger rifles.
    Thanks murphy; great review. I had heard from one of the guys at Mountainview Sports that there were some issues with the stock breaking. I glass bed all of my rifles so hopefully that would fix that problem. I am still undecided about purchasing one but your analysis has really helped me out. Thanks.

Default Inexpensive stock swap.

You can order a standard Ruger synthetic for about 70 bucks or so, the 375 will drop in to. Just bed the ugly bugger and you will have a stock that's lighter and stronger than the Houge and from what Murphy said the wood as well.

Now mind you, this isn't even close to a McMillan stock, just an inexpensive alternative.

Default 375 ruger

im making payments on one right now at my local gun shop. Maybye the weight of the hogue stock is a good thing?