Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer Calls

Default Deer Calls

One of my sons and two friends went out yesterday morning and each shot a buck, 1-3 point and 2 spikes. All three deer came in with the calls. Everything is looking good for my trip to POW at the end of the week. Yahooo!

kingfisherktn

What type of calling? Fawn bleats?

Thanks
    AKPM
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Very cool! Maybe I'll go out one more time.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Quote Originally Posted by SoggyMountain View Post
    Very cool! Maybe I'll go out one more time.
    We'll be on POW for 9 days and really looking forward to it.

kingfisherktn

Default Calls on Douglas

Soggy,

Have you ever had any luck with calls on Douglas? I"ve tried a few times and nothing comes in. I've called deer in on pretty much every other island in SE so I know this thing works and even the mainland here in Juneau.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    Soggy,

Have you ever had any luck with calls on Douglas? I"ve tried a few times and nothing comes in. I've called deer in on pretty much every other island in SE so I know this thing works and even the mainland here in Juneau.
    I've called in a hunter with my deer call on Douglas...

What brand of deer calls do you guys use, or think work the best?

We got a couple guys locally who make them, I buy those.

kingfisherktn

Default the November rut

is coming on .....

Good luck on your hunt Kingfish ... I'll be heading back over about the 5th or 6th. We need a break in the weather to get things going and make for some better hunting conditions.

God luck to all you 'rut' hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    is coming on .....

Good luck on your hunt Kingfish ... I'll be heading back over about the 5th or 6th. We need a break in the weather to get things going and make for some better hunting conditions.

God luck to all you 'rut' hunters.

Muskeg: We'll be centered in the coffman area, but will probably range sw also. Look for us we'll be in a 91 maroon 4-runner.

We're also getting excited for the rut, have good success.

kingfisherktn

I'm sticking to the ducks till snow hits the ground here...

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    Soggy,

With bleats I have called does on Douglas. I might have been calling in bucks too, but I always shot the first one that looked at me... not this year. I'm committed to horns only.

OneLung: I also called in a hunter on the south end one year. He never saw me... but, he went on his way blowing his call like a guy gobbling for turkeys. I ended up taking a decent buck that day not too far from where the guy had crossed my path.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Default maybe...

I should be a little more committed to the calling on Douglas. I've called lots of hunters in and once I thought I was calling in a deer but I never saw anything. I've heard of people calling in deer but it doesn't seem like it's a very productive way to hunt douglas. Maybe I need more patience.

OneLung: I'm with you on waiting for snow, I went on a long hike sunday that resulted in nothin but some sore knees and a hand full of devils club. I was really hopeful cause I got up into some beautiful timber and muskegs and even saw a decent amount of sign.

Default how long to call

Sometimes the bucks are very near and come in charging with hackle up ... some times they are at a distance and come running. Sometimes they do sneak in from close or a distance and it can take up to 20 or 30 minutes to get them to show themselves.

During the 'rut' a Doe could have a buck tailing her. Doe come into the call quite often ..... usually with hackle up ready to fight.

I use a call made by Alex .... an old guy that lived here for many years and then retired to Wa when the mill went down. I have used them for 30 years and they have been responsible for many buck deaths. If anyone want's one of his calls just pm me and I'll hook you up.

Kingfish ..... I just hunt around the cabin at Hollis ......

ok thats it I'm definately getting up early saturday and sunday, so what if I work till midnight both days...

Lunger you finding puddlers in big numbers? I went out last weekend and got a grand total of 1 into gun range and only 2 groups that even looked at our dekes... It seems they all are just sitting on AUke lake all day... Time to go sea duck hunting I guess... Loving the new gun anyway
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Fawn Bleats

Best luck has been with fawn bleats. tends to get the mature does interest and then the bucks follow them. Friends have had success with local made grunt tubes but i'm yet to master them enough to feel successful.

Question All you successful blacktail callers...

I've called in years past, but my best success has always been 'still hunting'. I blow the call on occasion if the area has a lot of fresh sign, but I admit I don't always have the patience to sit and wait for 40+ minutes. How long to you commit to sitting in one area after blowing the call? How often do you call, and how long will you sit and wait before moving to your next 'stand'?

Also, how long (in seconds) is your bleat?

Quote Originally Posted by AKJOB View Post
    I've called in years past, but my best success has always been 'still hunting'. I blow the call on occasion if the area has a lot of fresh sign, but I admit I don't always have the patience to sit and wait for 40+ minutes. How long to you commit to sitting in one area after blowing the call? How often do you call, and how long will you sit and wait before moving to your next 'stand'?

Also, how long (in seconds) is your bleat?
    If you had said, all of the above. That would fit my successes. I've sat for 40+ minutes and blown only a couple of times and shot deer. I've also blown almost continually during that period plus all variations in-between and have shot deer. I've also called once or twice and immediately have deer rush in.

Don't forget the buck grunts and rattling, they all have their place and time.

Remember while calling, if there are bear around be prepared. I've had that happen too.

kingfisherktn
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 10-30-2007 at 20:23. Reason: added info.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    ok thats it I'm definately getting up early saturday and sunday, so what if I work till midnight both days...

Lunger you finding puddlers in big numbers? I went out last weekend and got a grand total of 1 into gun range and only 2 groups that even looked at our dekes... It seems they all are just sitting on AUke lake all day... Time to go sea duck hunting I guess... Loving the new gun anyway

Lots o Puddlers around....Been shooting big northern mallards....gotten some Gadwall as well....Doing good...but gonna start taggin sea ducks...

Default Bear's to the call

Kingfish is right about Bear .........

Recently our cook and I went down to a little Muskeg just below the cabin along the river and we were going to call up a buck for him to shoot.

After the first series .... at about 20 yards ..... drooling

Then after studying us for a bit to see if we were a nice fall snack .... he turned around and disappeared into the brush.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast