Thread: Black Bear Whitter

Default Black Bear Whitter

Thinking about doing a Black bear hunt out of Whitter.Maybe send a 14' inflatable up to hunt out of.Is this a good idea or not and how far out of whitter will I have to go ??I appriciate any help. Thanks ahead of time.

Shouldn't have to go to far. But 14 might be a little to small there. The water can turn nasty quick.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Robert - You don't say when you're planning on doing this. Is this a plan for this fall, or are you looking ahead to next spring? If you're thinking this fall, I would say that the 14' inflatable is not enough boat. Prince William Sound can get nasty any time of year, but is particularly dangerous in the late fall/winter. I've seen it go from flat calm to 6' swells in less than 15 minutes. Such waves could swamp your boat and end your hunt, if not your life. Not worth the risk, in my opinion.

In the spring you'd be better off. Your boat is still a little small for the Sound, but at least there are a lot of other boaters out in May and June. If you carry a hand-held VHF you could get help quickly if needed. There are few if any other boats out this time of year, and help could be hours away.

Talking I think you're gonna need a bigger boat

Sorry about the title, I couldn't resist, but it's appropriate. I've been in a 14 footer in PWS out of Whittier in the spring for fish. It was tight, and we didn't have all the gear for a bear hunt/ camp. It was raining (of course), but seas were calm. I've an aquantance nearly lose his boat to stealthy waves, he came into port flooded and scared! Check with the coastguard for the time you're planning to go. They'll advise what they think is safe or not. And regardless of when you go, make sure you have every safety measure in place, route plan, contacts at home to call CG if you haven't made a phone call by a certain time, locator beacon, sat phone, etc...Some of that may be overkill for the type of hunt you're doing but it may be the basics. What ever the case, let us know what comes of your hunt and safe travels.

Its not enough for bear hunting. Close to Whittier there are a lot of people doing the same thing so you may have to go alittle farther. Your best bet may be to pay someone to drop you and your boat off somewhere, then you can use the inflateable to hunt the local area vs. trying to get out there on your own.

Default Spring

Yea thinking about going out end of May first week of june.I thought there wouls be some bays out of whitter that may hold spring bears.Thank's for the help

Shotgun cove dose, but in a 14ft. They can be a run in it's self..
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default PWS

We were out of Whittier this last weekend for two days of hunting and never saw another boat the entire trip except when we got back to Whittier. And very little radio traffic. If you get in trouble there is a good chance you may be on your own. I have a hardtop with a heater and we were staying in a FS cabin-I wouldn't want to return to an open boat after a hard day of hunting but maybe I'm just getting old... But being cold, tired and wet can make even the simplest task quite challenging even for a young buck. Something that would be a nuisance in the summer can turn into a serious event in the fall/winter/spring. The days are shorter, the weather is less predicatable, and help is not likely to be achored in the next cove.

I've seen quite a few of these types of questions on this forum and I'm always uncomfortable with telling folks that it should be "O.K". It's really easy to say something like that when we are all sitting at a computer in a warm, dry, house that isn't rocking back and forth. I just suggest some caution here-especially considering that, from what I've seen, we don't know the boating or local experience, boat type or condition, or safety/emergency gear of the person asking the question.
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

Default Went out and no one was home

We went out two weeks ago and did not see another boat or heard and radio traffic either. I now have a warm cabin so nothing bothered us. Here is a photo to what we woke up to one morning.
    All good advise on being save and prepared. Did it in a Zodiac many many time but have to pick you days careful. USCG came to rescue us once because the Seas at Pigot Point where 16 foot& in a 16 footer, because of the shelf a couple 100 yards off shore. Beautiful and dangerious place. All the cautoion and knowledge you can dum up should be used.
    Last edited by alaskapiranha; 04-27-2008 at 15:10.