Thread: Places to stay in Yakutat?

Default Places to stay in Yakutat?

Hi all,

Making plans to fish Yakutat in early July 08 for the sockeye, kings, and halibut. Any recommendations for reasonable places to stay for the do-it yourselfer? We plan to bring a zodiac inflatable canoe to float the situk and cook our own meals. Looking for something with more conveniences than the FS cabins.

Anyone have recommendations about:
    The Mooring Lodge
    Red Roof B&B
    Yakutat Lodge
    Glacier Bear Lodge

Also, any recommendations about fishing charters (halibut/salmon combo)?
    And are there any shuttles to take you back to the put in spot at the bridge?

Thanks for all your help!
    Gary

if you are looking for reasonable prices don't go to yakatat it costs $100 for a drop off at 9 mile... From a car.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Transpo can be expensive but the Lodge has the cheapest rates and I found Red Roof (recently under new owner) a nice place to stay and a great breakfast.

I skippered a boat out of Yakutat this past summer. The Mooring is really nice, Leo and Tracy the operators of the Lodge are Wonderful. The red Roof owners are personal friends and they are very fun, accomadating, helpful and knowledgeable. They bought the lodge becaused they love to fish the area so much! The Glacier Bear is an all accomadating place, with full bar and restaurant. It sounds like you want to do your own thing so the first two might suit you better. They both have full kitchens, fish processing facilities. Hope this Helps. You will never go to a more beautiful place in your life (providing it's sunny and you can see the mountains!)
    Good Luck!
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 11-25-2007 at 17:36. Reason: Negative comments concerning business

Isn't everything $100 in Yak?

Three tips...
    1. bring your own beer (way expensive)
    2. bring shotgun (lotsa bears)
    3. bring lots of patches for your zodiac (heck-of-alota logjams)

other than that, Capt.k gave you some good advice. you can rent a rig at situk leasing (yes $100 per day).

Exclamation Rent a boat

I fished the Situk this year for the first time. Rent a metal drift boat. The log jams were insane. It was the most technical rowing I have ever done. I am so used to the Kenai River and the canyons where you can see the dangers a long way off and plan your route.

Sometimes you could see fresh saw dust where the person before us had to chainsaw their way through. We banged the boats A LOT on the river. Also make sure you get on the water early, the first day we were floating out basically in the dark like idiots without flashlights or headlamps. There a lot of bears there but they never bothered us, of course we didn't bother them.

Do bring cash and your alcohol if you are so inclined because everything there is very expensive.

Steve

bring food two, last year 7 of us went and we brought food from Juneau, with plane tickets food, gas and ADF&G lodging it only cost me $275 for the whole thing, plus some volunteer work teaching hunter ed and stuff... It was also nice that ADF&G rented us a van... But yea bring your own food, at least for breakfast and lunch plus then you can bring back a salmon or two pretty easy in the coolers you bring. Oh and apparently 2 cases of beer a tent and some duct tape weighs 49.5 pounds
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Cell Phones

How do cell phones work in Yakutat fishing the Situk. Can one call a cab at the mouth of the river to use as a chase vehicle going back to the bridge.?