Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting caribou from a boat ?

Default Shooting caribou from a boat ?

I was reading on another forum where boats where waiting for a heard of big caribou bulls to get in the middle of a lake then they all drove up and shot all 20 !!, This must be legal is some of the villages ? they even have the photos.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Default boat blastin'

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I was reading on another forum where boats where waiting for a heard of big caribou bulls to get in the middle of a lake then they all drove up and shot all 20 !!, This must be legal is some of the villages ? they even have the photos.
    I don't have first hand knowledge but have heard (emphasize heard) that this is a subsitence hunting practice by some who need to take large numbers of animals as a part of their way of survival.

Can you share a link to the thread on the other forum you speak of? I'd be interested in reading it.

-Carnivore
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

If I remember right only subsistence can do this..
    I was up on the Squirrel river and watch a village with jon boats pull up next to the caribou in the water and use a .22 One shoots and the other two people would hold on to the antlers. Then would either through it in the boat or take it to shore.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thumbs up I've had the privilege to share in a harvest...

that was done in this fasion, from a friend from Ambler, they were living in Anchorage, & made the trip to thier home town & caught 5 bou this way, & were drying thier meat in their deck in Anchorage...The meat was delicious, & I asked them how'd they do it & they told me that they marinated thier strips of meat in a teriyaki sauce for 24 hours & then sun dry them for three days...DELICIOUS!!!Since, I've done all my non choice, & non hamburger, cuts of meat this way...

Default Oh my,

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    that was done in this fasion, from a friend from Ambler, they were living in Anchorage, & made the trip to thier home town & caught 5 bou this way, & were drying thier meat in their deck in Anchorage...The meat was delicious, & I asked them how'd they do it & they told me that they marinated thier strips of meat in a teriyaki sauce for 24 hours & then sun dry them for three days...DELICIOUS!!!Since, I've done all my non choice, & non hamburger, cuts of meat this way...

You sound proud of this. Let me get this straight, your friends living in Anchorage, shooting caribou(5) from the boat, then taking the meat back to Anchorage. And you wonder why the some Alaskans have a problem with subsistence. LMAO. Sounds like a good argument as to why subsistence just needs to go away. How do you your friends that live in Anchorage qualify for subsistence anyways? I thought you had to be a "rural resident?"

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by BearMan View Post
    .....Let me get this straight, your friends living in Anchorage, shooting caribou(5) from the boat, then taking the meat back to Anchorage. And you wonder why the some Alaskans have a problem with subsistence. LMAO. Sounds like a good argument as to why subsistence just needs to go away. How do you your friends that live in Anchorage qualify for subsistence anyways? I thought you had to be a "rural resident?"
    I think "subsistence" needs to go away, but shooting caribou from a motorized boat isn't a subsistence regulation. Anyone may do it in GMUs 23 and/or 26 (page 15):

...You MAY NOT take game by:.......

.......A motor-driven boat or motorized land vehicle, unless the motor has been shut off and the progress fromt he motor's power has ceased, EXCEPT:
    --A motor-driven boat may be used as follows:
    -in Units 23 and 26 to take caribou;...........

Default Shooting caribou from a boat North Slope and WACH

I am not 100% sure on this but I think this only legal in 2 units and it is only for subsistence. I live in unit 23 and it is the local and traditional way to take caribou. The locals have been doing this for years and it is very clean and efficient. I have seen it done but I do not practice this type of harvest. I really enjoy the stalk but most of my friends call this “white man hunting”. We have a few traditional caribou crossing areas like Onion Portage on the Kobuk River and those of us who don’t harvest animals this way stay away from the traditional areas for our stalk hunts because stalking can scare the heard back from the river and ruin the hunt for lots of people who are depending on taking a boat load of animals. It takes some getting use to but as a long time resident but still an outsider it is very important to respect the traditional methods and not get in the way.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    www.northwestalaska.com

Mark is right. Any Ak. res can hunt bou in units 23 and 26 and shoot them in the river from a boat. What's the big deal? Aren't we all supposed to really be "subsistence" hunhters. Our main goal is meat, right? Feed the family. I thought the pics were cool and if that guy got a bunch of good meat for his family, great. Besides, humans have killed animals in the water from a boat probably since we figured out how to make boats.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default booo whooo

only if motor is off

Default Let me clarify for those Haters out there...

My friend from Ambler, yes lived in Anchorage, & worked @ Red Dog Mine, however, her, & her boyfriend, were assisting her PARENT'S, who lives in Ambler, on the Hunt...the family had gotten 5 'bou, & I am assuming when I say, but they took home some meat (not all 5 'bou)...flame on Bearman, flame on...you too Mark...

Smile Shooting caribou from a boat

Let’s always keep in mind that we all choose where we live for many reasons. You guys who live in Anchorage and the Mat-Su don’t get to take as many animals as we do out here but you get the pleasure of dropping by Carrs on the way home from work and buying a ½ gal of ice cream for $3 and a gal. of milk for a mere $3.75 and then fill up your SUV with that cheap gas on you way to the movies. While we get to take 5 animals a day we also enjoy our AC store with the ice cream that is now over $10 and ½ gal, milk at $9.75 and gal and we hope to see a movie next time we are in town around Christmas time and then we go to Crowley to buy a 55 gal drum of gas for $255 and we are thank full that we don’t live in Ambler who does not have gas at any price!

It’s a trade off and we all give up some thing and I am sorry that you have to deal with that terrible traffic as part of your daily life. I think I will jump on my Sno-go and go out and find a moose!

Walt
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    www.northwestalaska.com

Angry Very Proud! Thank you Very much!

of the fact that I was included in the bountiful subsistence harvest from friends from the North...Sorry you weren't included Bear man...

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    ....flame on...you too Mark...
    The topic is boats, not flames.

I have no problem with shooting caribou from boats. Snowmobiles, Argos, wheelers, swampbuggies, space shuttles, or helicopters, either..........

Default Sorrrrrryyyy !!!!!!!!!

Sorry !!!! I was not trying to bring up the subsistence thing I just found it interesting

Default Nice change in your story gogoalie

But I won't argue with you. If you and your friends find it fun motoring up to an animal and shooting it fun, more power to you. Go for it. It just doesn't sound fun to me and maybe you shouldn't be posting the story for all the world to see. Especially when they are from Anchorage. Maybe some things are just better left unsaid. I can just see a you tube video of you motoring up to a heard of caribou and blazing away. I bet that would be that last of that type of hunting. It sounds about as tradtional as shooting ducks while your up on step in a boat. What year was the outboard invented anways? How can motoring up to caribou be a traditional activity.

Default Shooting caribou from a boat

The motor is not the issue Bearman, it’s a tradition to take them while they are swimming and it was done in open skin boats called “umiak”and a spear was used. The Eskimo like all man has adoptive the new technology and now it is done with a “Merc” 90 horse. Its not a matter of fun, it’s a matter of efficiency. I have been hunting up here in unit 23 for a number of years now and I run across what I call the “Mongo” racks along the rivers all of the time because the Inupiak don’t take the racks home very often because it doesn’t taste good and it takes up room in the boat. Think of it like rod and reel vs a dip net.

So lets leave the “Fun” out of it and understand that there is room for many different values when it comes to hunting.

Walt
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    www.northwestalaska.com
    Last edited by Gulkana Rafting; 10-28-2007 at 21:06. Reason: spelling

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska View Post
    ....So lets leave the “Fun” out of it and understand that there is room for many different values when it comes to hunting.....
    Yup. And in this case, it isn't legally reserved to certain people. Anybody can legally do it in those GMUs.

Equality. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by BearMan View Post
    Especially when they are from Anchorage.

How can motoring up to caribou be a traditional activity.
    BearMan, what does them being from Anchorage or tradition have to do with anything? As has been pointed out more than once, this is legal for everyone in these units and is a very efficient way of putting meat on the table.

Default time and money

As Walt pointed out gas is a little higher up here, and that is one reason that I have no problem selecting, (yes another benefit to doing it this way is you can see which critters are the fattest as they swim by) five 'bou as they cruise by my boat. Field dress on the bank, cut off head, throw meat in and set up camp or head back home. Freezer is full, inlaws are happy, and I did the grocery shopping in one day. I'd love to spend more time on the water, but time and money don't always allow me to. The best part is I didn't burn all 30 gallons I had brought. I can save it for another trip or for the snowmobile.

I have packed three 'bou two miles to a boat, and don't mind packing. In fact I enjoy "white man hunting" But if the herd continues to be as finicky as it was this year I'm glad these rules are in place so I can fill the freezer with good fall bou if I am lucky enough.

I didn't make it out during the window of opportunity we had and then it froze up. Luckily some friends did make it out when the ones that crossed were crossing so I have some meat in the freezer because they took a limit. I will get a moose after it freezes up a little better so the spousal unit isn't so unhappy about the contents of the freezer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast