Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6 foot tall beavers?

Default 6 foot tall beavers?

Please take a look at this picture. My dad and I can not figure out how the beavers we able to chew off the branches on the fallen tree. The only thing we can logically think of is that the we able to balance themselves and climb to the end and chew them off. However the chewing was down from the underside. Do they stand on each other's backs? This was a fresh cut and not done when there was 4 ft of snow on the ground last year. Any ideas?

Default maybe...

porcupine perhaps
    ...Jackie Bushman is a TOOL

Oh NO, Definately beavers, they fell the tree. Tons of beaver activity in the area and the largest den I have ever seen.

Ladders, no really, ok maybe ufo's

maybe during the winter? they snuck out of the den somehow and their was a snow drift there? I know, that sounds pretty out there.

Default beavers

The 4 feet of snow weighed the trees down and bent them over, so the tops were near the ground. Snow melted and they popped back up the the height in the picture.

Come on now guys. I said this is all fresh cutting and chewing. so ist was all done with in the month. Yeah, we had 2 inches of snow but not near enough to weight the branches down., I'm still stumped.

I thought this was going to be a very good post by the title .

Could it have been held down by another tree or branch and sprang back up when the other tree or branch was chewed away?

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

If you figure it out i would realy like to know. I have seen the same thing about 20 years ago and it was even a little higher up than in your photo.

How about several critters chewing on the same downed tree at the same time, when the top most beavers chewed through first and removed their prize, the rest of the tree sprung up because of the weight/leverage of the upper part of the tree being removed?

Talking Vision

Quote Originally Posted by Truesdale View Post
    How about several critters chewing on the same downed tree at the same time, when the top most beavers chewed through first and removed their prize, the rest of the tree sprung up because of the weight/leverage of the upper part of the tree being removed?
    I can just invision the last beaver closer to the trunk going flying up in the air. Another beaver says: Hey Bucky! Where did Earl go?

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Question Logical

Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Could it have been held down by another tree or branch and sprang back up when the other tree or branch was chewed away?
    I have felled and delimbed a few tree's in my day and this sounds about right.
    Another picture behind the gentlemen would be a great help. The tree could have been in another postion when another branch gave way causing the end of the tree to rise, raising the Beaver chewed limb.I have had tree's roll a bit after taking out a key limb.

Default Wind

Wind blew the tree over. The rootwad was still under tension to return the tree upright. The beaver began to chew on the tree below the crown and then moved up the tree closer to the crown. When the beaver cut the crown off the tree the leverage of the weighted crown was lost and the remaining energy in the rootwad caused the trunk to rise off the ground.

This tree was felled by the beavers, and there is no other sign of another tree had fallen on top of it to weigh it down. I have a video that I can post a link to but it'll take a week or so for me to get to it. the video will show the surroundings and everyone can see and then try to come up with a scenario for how this is done, cause I still can see other than these are prehistoric creatures

Thumbs up Team work...

On big fat beaver going up the tree, weighing down & then the other beaver going over to gnaw away at the lowest possilbe point...

I don't think there's 6' beavers around, maybe 4' max, but not 6'...

Default Water Level

Did the water level in this area change dramatically during the previous year?

It Does Not Matter When The Snow Came Or The Water Level Came Up, This Is A fresh Chewing And There Is No Way The Water Lever Could Raise That Much In This Area At Any Time. As You Can Tell It Is Fairly Flat With No High Bank. It Is A Small Pond. Whwn I Get The Video Link Up You Will All Be Stump. However, No One Has Confirmed Whether Not Not Beavers Can Climb Up A Sloping Tree????

Default video link

here is an You Tube Link to the video of the area.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QpNOVEmkng

Default Castoroides ohioensis

The mystery has been solved

The Giant Beaver (Castoroides ohioensis) was a huge species of rodent, with a length up to (8.2 feet)1] and an estimated weight (130-220 lbs), although some estimates have ranged as high as (485 lbs).

If you havested that do you think it would be entered in B&C ?....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 800px-Giant-beaver-fieldmuseum.jpg  
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast