Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nunivak Island

Default Nunivak Island

New to the forum - tho I've been an occasional lurker for years. I just learned Friday that I drew bull muskox for Feb/Mar (I was on Alternate List). Anyone have experience with guides James Whitman or Fred Don of Mekoryuk (Nunivak Island)?

Default James Whitman

James is a GREAT guy, I lived on the island for a few years, when I draw my bull tag I will be going with James. I could not say enough good things about him, PM me if you want to know more.

Default James Whitman

My partner and I drew solo tags this past spring and spring 06. We hired James as a transporter both years. He provides great service, you stay in his house with his wife. They are very friendly people. His snow machines are modern and dependable. Be advised that he is a transporter meaning he will not tell you which animal to take, skin or butcher your animal. You should bring a partner to assist in these tasks as musk ox are not real easy to handle by your self. After the animal is skinned and quartered James will come to the kill site and load the meat and hide in his sled. James travels with you to keep you from getting lost. Last March we had -50 chill factor one day. Be prepared for arctic conditions. Have fun and good luck.

Default I think there's only 1 "registerd" guide...

& the rest are all transporters...If I am not mistaken...Ed Shavings Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep Hunter View Post
    Be advised that he is a transporter...James travels with you to keep you from getting lost.

um.........
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep Hunter View Post
    My partner and I drew solo tags this past spring and spring 06. We hired James as a transporter both years. He provides great service, you stay in his house with his wife. They are very friendly people. His snow machines are modern and dependable. Be advised that he is a transporter meaning he will not tell you which animal to take, skin or butcher your animal. You should bring a partner to assist in these tasks as musk ox are not real easy to handle by your self. After the animal is skinned and quartered James will come to the kill site and load the meat and hide in his sled. James travels with you to keep you from getting lost. Last March we had -50 chill factor one day. Be prepared for arctic conditions. Have fun and good luck.
    Thanks for the info. James is listed as a Registered Guide and a Transporter on the State Liscensing site. Fred Don, and Ed Shavings are both listed as Master Guides. I think I'll give James a call.

hey there, me and my buddy drew for the same hunt, DX003 i personally am goin with James, my partner however is goin with Fred, he is goin with Fred cause he wants helps skinnin the animal because he is gettin full body mount and im just doin shoulder, that is if we are sucessful, and believe it or not my partner has never killed a big game animal. I figured that the only difference between James and Fred is $1000. and with that $1000 the only difference is that Fred can help you skin and bone your animal. Ive personally skinned and boned animals before so i see no reason to spend the extra $1000 for that on an already expensive hunt. Congrats on your Drawing!

How could someone get lost on Nunavak.

Whiteout. The ultimate fun!

Thanks for everyone's input. After much wringing of hands, I chose to book with Ed Shavings.

Default kidding right Greybeard?

Greybeard your just kidding about how you get lost right? you been out there before? WOW, some SCARY traveling at times.

Default Have a great hunt!

I saw this to late. I went with Master guide Fred Don and James helped us out. Both are great guys! I am sure who ever you go with you will have a great time. If I am not mistaken I think the guides have exclusive rights to hunt a certain area, that the transporters can't? I could be wrong about this. Should not matter anyway, good population of bulls out there.
    How do you get lost out there? LOL! That was have the fun. Dark, whiteout, cold, hungry, tired, not having any idea if I was coming or going, but doing it at full speed. Every time we would stop to talk it over. Fred and James would have big smiles and laugh, saying they knew where they were the whole time.
    Have a great hunt!

Yes, I've been there. Got a lot of flack from the locals because I did not hire a guide. I brought my own snow machine and killed my Musk Ox without any help from anyone. Being an Alaska resident I did not need to hire a guide, but the locals did not see it that way. Just happened the President of Volks Wagen was there that week for his Musk Ox hunt. His party was passing out $100.00 bills for everything. The locals could not understand why I would not do that. I also helped round up the Musk Ox that was transplanted to the main land in 1980. We bulldoged them off the back of snowmachines.

Default good for you

I have done it unguided twice myself, when i lived there and every year from here on out i plan on headin out to get one subsistance, if i get a tag. But it IS and CAN BE an EXTREMELY dangerous place to travel.

I've done it twice unguided too. The last time we were stuck in a complete whiteout. It took us 3 hours to go 10 miles because of conditions. We had to overnight in a cabin. Both trips we had some sort of weather issue....Fog, rain, wind, snow, cold....it's not a place for the light of heart. You had better be prepared!

Congrats on the Tag!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Gosh, guess I really lucked out. Both times I've been there it was clear as a bell. Temp and wind made it a little raw, but the sun was shinning and little clouds entire trip.

Default yes you did Graybeard :)

in the two years I lived there I can cound on my fingers and one foot's toes the days we had like that during musk ox season.

Clear sky??!! I would really like to go back on a day like that. Abe took us by gps to and from the south shore. The trip back was a bit easier in the dark, but most of the trail had blown in. The trip down was interesting as I was trying to keep Abe in sight and also not lose my partner behind me since he had limited time on snowmachines. I will say one thing. Abe was great! My partner had lost his pack with his knives and everything in it on the trip south. He didn't know where it happened so we crossed our fingers we could find it on the way back. Sure enough we caught up to Abe at one spot on the return trip as he dug the pack out of a snow drift!

Default Nunivak Island Guides

Actually there are 2 guides out there one is master guide Edward Shavings SR and Fred Don Who I think is Still a registered Guide.I;m a Licensed Guide but don;t have the special use permit to guide on nunivak, so in the mean time I;m transporting hunters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast